Menu

Should I laugh or cry?

My dd (9th grade, public school) was off school on Friday for records day. She spent the day with her favorite teacher from 8th grade, helping him grade papers and earning community service hours. She got to have lunch with a bunch of old teachers and they all fawned over her. The teachers bought her lunch from her favorite restaurant. This was HER idea for how to spend the day, and when she came home she said she really enjoyed herself.

Friday night we went to a party at a friend's house where she got to hang out with other kids.

Yesterday she slept all day. Seriously. She had breakfast at 10:30, slept until 4, washed the dishes, went back to bed, got up at 10 pm, and watched tv until 2 am.

Today she bought a cell phone with her Christmas money and went ice skating with dh and then had her best friend over. This evening I watched her favorite tv show with her.

As I am getting ready for bed, she says, "What are we doing tomorrow?" I said, "Well, we have school." She said, "But I'm on vacation." (MLK Day) I said, "I know, but we don't follow the public school schedule so we don't have the day off."

She looked pouty for a few minutes and then said, "Why don't I ever get to do anything fun when I'm off school?"

:confused: :001_huh: :lol:

Tara

My dd (9th grade, public school) was off school on Friday for records day. She spent the day with her favorite teacher from 8th grade, helping him grade papers and earning community service hours. She got to have lunch with a bunch of old teachers and they all fawned over her. The teachers bought her lunch from her favorite restaurant. This was HER idea for how to spend the day, and when she came home she said she really enjoyed herself.

Friday night we went to a party at a friend's house where she got to hang out with other kids.

Yesterday she slept all day. Seriously. She had breakfast at 10:30, slept until 4, washed the dishes, went back to bed, got up at 10 pm, and watched tv until 2 am.

Today she bought a cell phone with her Christmas money and went ice skating with dh and then had her best friend over. This evening I watched her favorite tv show with her.

As I am getting ready for bed, she says, "What are we doing tomorrow?" I said, "Well, we have school." She said, "But I'm on vacation." (MLK Day) I said, "I know, but we don't follow the public school schedule so we don't have the day off."

She looked pouty for a few minutes and then said, "Why don't I ever get to do anything fun when I'm off school?"

:confused: :001_huh: :lol:

Tara

Cuz they live in the Here and Now. What is past... is past... and what tomorrow holds... is the key for if life is fair... and fun. (And by fair, it's by their test of fair)

:-)

Lol, I vote laugh....and we have had many similar ocnversations around here with my teens! It can be exasperating to take them to parties and social engagements and drive miles to pick up friends who live out of town to come and stay (its summer holidays here) only to be told I don't let them do anything when I say no to one thing.

The best part is that she asked whether she could stay up late again last night watching a tv show dvd she has from the library. Normally her bedtime is 9 and we have a limit of an hour of tv a day, but I said yes, she could stay up and watch.

About an hour after I went to bed, the dog (who was in his kennel) started bark-bark-barking. I was upstairs asleep. Dd was in the next room watching her show (dh was out). After the dog had barked for about 5 minutes (or at least 5 minutes that I heard) I went downstairs and said to dd, "Do you hear the dog barking?" (I admit I was a bit testy.) She slowly paused her tv show, looked at me, and said, "Yes."

I stood there for a minute, and when she said nothing else I said, "Would you like to do something about it so he doesn't wake me up?" She sighed one of those dramatic, "I can't believe what a PITA you are" sighs, hauled herself off the couch, and walked out of the room. I didn't stick around to see what she did, but the dog did stop barking.

Had I been thinking clearly I would have said, "Time to turn off the tv and go to bed!"

Tara