Menu

Do I dare share how much I'm enjoying Dracula by Bram Stoker?

Well, listening to it on my ipod, not reading it per say. With the Twilight series all the rage, I decided to read the original inspiration for the series instead of the Twilight series. The language and style of the book suits my taste. Many elements of the plot remind me of Harry Potter.

Anyone else a Dracula fan? :D

Haven't read that yet, but I must say I was quite pleased with myself for reading Frankenstein two summers ago. I really enjoyed it! I'll look for Dracula.

(I guess that has nothing to do with your post, but I will forever link Frank to Dracula--and no, we never had Frankenberry and Count Chocula at home when I was growing up! lol)

Anyone else a Dracula fan? :D
So much so I have not one, but three annotated editions, including two by Leonard Wolf. The notes are better in the new Wolf edition, but the old edition is oversized and has illustrations as well as appendices including detailed maps and calendars of events. Here's the old edition in hardcover, and in paperback (horrible, horrible cover on the latter). Dracula Unearthed is good too, though detail heavy. There's *another* annotated edition, The New Annotated Dracula (2008), but I didn't see much new when leafing through it, and didn't think it was worth the purchase price. I'll pick it up if I see it sometime for next to nothing.

Bram Stoker's Dracula has been one of my all time favorite books since I first read it in high school. I have probably read it maybe 50 times!! My book completely fell apart I've read it so much. hehe It's strange, because I know exactly what is going to happen and there are absolutely no surprises because I've read it so many times, but I still just love this book. I go back to it over and over again. I love the story and the writing. It's like an old friend to me. :)

I read it this past fall. I did enjoy most of it even though at times it was a little mushy/emotional (Victorian?). I was glad when the chase was over. That seemed to drag. Renfield creeped me out years ago, but this time I enjoyed his character more.

Thanks Moira, for the book recommendations.

BTW, do you all happen to know which movie follows the book the best? Thanks.

So much so I have not one, but three annotated editions, including two by Leonard Wolf. The notes are better in the new Wolf edition, but the old edition is oversized and has illustrations as well as appendices including detailed maps and calendars of events. Here's the old edition in hardcover, and in paperback (horrible, horrible cover on the latter). Dracula Unearthed is good too, though detail heavy. There's *another* annotated edition, The New Annotated Dracula (2008), but I didn't see much new when leafing through it, and didn't think it was worth the purchase price. I'll pick it up if I see it sometime for next to nothing.

...so I can look at the maps & notes. I WISH I had them when I started!

The boyars were the Russian upper class; Count Dracula (stated in the book) was a boyar. I wouldn't have known that term if it weren't for our SOTW 3 reading.

I read a little on Wikipedia about the film Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) and I was disappointed that it sounds so different from the book. Yesterday I was in Borders Bookstore and came across a graphic version of Dracula. I flipped through it to see how true it was to the book. It looked like it actually sticks to the original story. I thought it might be a good introduction for those with children who like graphic novels.

Graphic Classics

Dracula

Hmm...this doesn't have a good review, but what do I know? I don't read graphic novels. Oh well.