Menu

Looking for unique field trip ideas...

Call the local fire station or police station and ask if you can come in for a tour. It would probably be good if you could get a small group of homeschoolers or something like that. Maybe they could show the kids the inside of a fire truck or police cruiser.

Our local library gives tours. Again, this is probably best for a group. Our group has also toured Publix, which was actually pretty neat.

Looking for something different. We are outside of Philadelphia, so we have a city nearby. Looking for something other than hiking and museums - we've done that enough.

Any unique ideas? ;)

Any factories, or commercial bakeries, or any other food prep factories? Many give tours that end in free samples! :D I still remember going to Rainbow Bread bakery in the 8th grade. I remember the automated machinery making hundreds of loaves of bread. Most of all, I remember the smell. MMmmmm!

We went to a glass artists studio, and he taught my kids how to lamp glass. Ds made marbles, and dd made beads. Very cool.

We plan to visit a honey bee farm this spring.

Are there any living museums near you? We love those.

What is your access to community and college theater near Philadelphia? Any new children's art classes or programming at museums. Theater events? Classes? Maybe there are concerts planned or musical tours coming to your area for a short time? We are finally going to get to see Lion King. (not everyone's cup of tea, I understand).

Are there any special events or new collections available at the museums you've been to? The aquarium is better now. Do they have new programming? Tours of nearby waterways?

What about a tour of local 'ethnic' food areas? (rather than chains) Is there a Little Italy or China Town? In Boston it's possible to take a guided tour of food and resturant speciality shops. You get to sample things. and see real people making real food, not reheating frozen food shipped in on trucks. :)

Is there any new programming planned at the Franklin Institute? I know Boston is always mixing it up. The touring Harry Potter exhibit is there now.

The Rosenbach? They must have some interesting things for kids?

Winter is tough. I would prefer to stay home and hibernate, but one of my kids doesn't.

Edited by LibraryLover