Menu

Moving/PCSing Tips?

Hi, all!

We got word this week that we'll be PCSing ("moving" in military-speak) in June. We're super excited, since we've been here at our current duty station for a (relatively) long time...it'll be 6 years in February!

This is the first PCS for me. This is the first time we'll be selling a house.

:ohmy:

I'm starting now with the decluttering, the scheduling, the planning, etc. and would appreciate your favorite tips on moving.

Quotes, verses, and other forms of encouragement are also warmly appreciated!

TIA!

I would try and get on the wait list now if you want to move on base.

1. Take one box for each room and put in a set of sheets, pjs, pillows a sleeping bag if you don't think you will get the bed up for the night, (stuff you need for that first night) and mark it with the room's name and number 1. For the kitchen I put together a small box with utensils, plates and one pot. I figure anything I am going to cook or reheat is pretty simple. When the movers unload the boxes look for those marked one and hide them in the closet so that they don't get buried under all of the other boxes.

I would find your real estate agent now and start listing the house. If you sell quickly and have to move out you can have the military do your move early and pay for the storage fees. Think of this way if you find a buyer in the next two weeks and set a normal closing date you are looking at being out in March. That is only 3 months. If you don't sell right away or need to change agents you have time to do it. This also puts you in a position not to be forced to take an offer just because you are PCSing in 3 days.

I would also take one room a week and throughly clean/paint/declutter it. Do you really want to decide at crunch time what to take and what not? Trust me no you don't. I would also get the movers lined up and make sure the paperwork gets rolling.

Look into house hunting leave. You may need it if the wait list is long. Also some bases don't allow you to get on the list until you report for duty.

Good luck and if I think of more I will let you know. We have PCSed several times including overseas moves. It really is a piece of cake!

If you plan on moving on base, definitely talk to the housing office at your new duty station and find out when they can put you on the list.

Talk to a real estate agent and let the real estate agent come and take a look at your house. My DH was deployed when got our last set of orders and I put our house on the market. The real estate agent told me specific things to do and where I needed help (a little bit of yard and electrical work) she gave me the number of a contractor and helped me negotiate with him. I rented a storage unit and put a ton of books, toys and such in storage. I had several friends who came and helped me pack stuff away and clean everything really well over 2 or 3 days. The house sold in 8 days, I was so grateful! The real estate agent was a huge help and we've recommended her to several people. Definitely ask around about real estate agents.

I agree with ciyates that you'll want to have several boxes to go as your hold baggage. These are things that typically go in our hold baggage:

one set of sheets per person, plus one extra set of kid sheets

basic pots, pans, utensils (don't forget at least one spatula/wooden spoon, 1 good knife and a can opener), 1 set of dishes per person

towels

a tv, dvd player, game system with dvds and games

one box of books

depending upon where you are moving you might want air mattresses and an air pump

On moving day put *anything and everything* (important paperwork, garbage, the cat, the coffee cup you're drinking out of) you don't want packed up with your HHG in one room, take everything else out of that room. Put tape across the door, put up a sign and talk to all of the movers to make sure everyone understands that they aren't to pack anything in that room. Usually, they come and pack up hold baggage a day or two after HHG.

Do you know where you're moving? Some assignments (especially overseas assignments) give you loaner furniture, temporarily or permanently.

I would try and get on the wait list now if you want to move on base.

Okay, I'm going to reveal how little I understand about PCSing. :D

Don't we need orders before we can get on the waiting list for on-base housing? We're doing the paperwork for the orders right now.

1. Take one box for each room and put in a set of sheets, pjs, pillows a sleeping bag if you don't think you will get the bed up for the night, (stuff you need for that first night) and mark it with the room's name and number 1. For the kitchen I put together a small box with utensils, plates and one pot. I figure anything I am going to cook or reheat is pretty simple. When the movers unload the boxes look for those marked one and hide them in the closet so that they don't get buried under all of the other boxes.

I like the idea of hiding the boxes in the closet! I hear those movers can be quick and non-discriminating...causing interesting situations for the clients :)

And if we decide to have the movers come after we move in, we can pack these #1 boxes in our vehicles to have right when we get there, right?

Have you ever scheduled your movers to come after you move in? I read about one such family on the Justmoved ministries website...they had the movers come a week later (too long for me, though!) so they could "camp" out. I wouldn't want to wait a week, but maybe a day or two buffer would be helpful? I could figure out where furniture could go, maybe paint if I wanted to?

I would find your real estate agent now and start listing the house. If you sell quickly and have to move out you can have the military do your move early and pay for the storage fees. Think of this way if you find a buyer in the next two weeks and set a normal closing date you are looking at being out in March. That is only 3 months. If you don't sell right away or need to change agents you have time to do it. This also puts you in a position not to be forced to take an offer just because you are PCSing in 3 days.

Wow, that would be crazy. But cool. To sell our house so quickly, I mean. Our goal is to sell it as fast as possible, even if we don't make a profit. We're just hoping to break even! But now??? That makes it so...real!

A question: say we do sell our house and are out by March. We have the movers come early and move the bulk of our stuff to our next duty station and put it in storage until we get there. Would we just try to find a furnished apartment here until we leave? Hmmm, could I fly out with the kids and leave hubby (who could easily stay with friends)? Then we would need someone to drive out the second vehicle, though...hmmm....I don't want to move without him (my kids are handful!)...

I would also take one room a week and throughly clean/paint/declutter it. Do you really want to decide at crunch time what to take and what not? Trust me no you don't. I would also get the movers lined up and make sure the paperwork gets rolling.

Great idea: one room at a time. I could start with the kids' rooms and bathroom since they end up in our room most nights anyways!

Look into house hunting leave. You may need it if the wait list is long. Also some bases don't allow you to get on the list until you report for duty.

Good luck and if I think of more I will let you know. We have PCSed several times including overseas moves. It really is a piece of cake!

Thank you so much for your tips and experience. Definitely appreciated. I sure hope it's cake!

:)

If you plan on moving on base, definitely talk to the housing office at your new duty station and find out when they can put you on the list.

It's different with each base? ACK!

I'm sure DH found out this base just requires orders...

Talk to a real estate agent and let the real estate agent come and take a look at your house. My DH was deployed when got our last set of orders and I put our house on the market. The real estate agent told me specific things to do and where I needed help (a little bit of yard and electrical work) she gave me the number of a contractor and helped me negotiate with him. I rented a storage unit and put a ton of books, toys and such in storage. I had several friends who came and helped me pack stuff away and clean everything really well over 2 or 3 days. The house sold in 8 days, I was so grateful! The real estate agent was a huge help and we've recommended her to several people. Definitely ask around about real estate agents.

Wow! That's the kind of real estate agent we want! Since we've been here so long, I'm hoping we'll find someone as helpful as yours.

How long was it between the last day you stayed in your house until you drove away forever?

Did you stay with friends? In on-base lodging?

I agree with ciyates that you'll want to have several boxes to go as your hold baggage. These are things that typically go in our hold baggage:

one set of sheets per person, plus one extra set of kid sheets

basic pots, pans, utensils (don't forget at least one spatula/wooden spoon, 1 good knife and a can opener), 1 set of dishes per person

towels

a tv, dvd player, game system with dvds and games

one box of books

depending upon where you are moving you might want air mattresses and an air pump

On moving day put *anything and everything* (important paperwork, garbage, the cat, the coffee cup you're drinking out of) you don't want packed up with your HHG in one room, take everything else out of that room. Put tape across the door, put up a sign and talk to all of the movers to make sure everyone understands that they aren't to pack anything in that room. Usually, they come and pack up hold baggage a day or two after HHG.

I've heard horror stories :D

Do you know where you're moving? Some assignments (especially overseas assignments) give you loaner furniture, temporarily or permanently.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

It's different with each base? ACK!

I'm sure DH found out this base just requires orders...

Yes, you must have your actual orders before you can do anything. Some bases will allow you to get on the list before you get there and some will make you physically sign in before you can get on the list. Some will backdate you, to accommodate for TDY-en-route-classes or whatever and some will not.

How long was it between the last day you stayed in your house until you drove away forever?

Did you stay with friends? In on-base lodging?

It's never been more than a week for us and we've stayed in base lodging. You need to find out how long they will pay for you to stay in lodging on the back-end of your stay there.

Yes, very important. I have had mover pack the garbage, food we were eating and once . . . a cat. He actually made it to the other end alive. :001_smile:

I am not doing a military move, but am doing a major cross country move in about 13 weeks. I am packing 6 boxes per night, decluttering as I go, posting on freecycle and kijiji etc. I am focusing on 1 room at a time. Right now it is the mstr bdrm since I don't have a bed anyway. Anything that is packed and ready to go is getting stacked in there. That will be the last room I clean/paint on my way out. June may seem a long way off but it really isn't, I would start packing/decluttering non-essential stuff right away. I have already packed up all the school stuff not needed until after my move, and most of my books, will finish the books tonight and start on decluttering the closet. I am getting rid of all furniture before we move that makes it a slightly differnt situation, since I have to pack the stuff in/on said furniture before I can get rid of it.

Yes, you must have your actual orders before you can do anything. Some bases will allow you to get on the list before you get there and some will make you physically sign in before you can get on the list. Some will backdate you, to accommodate for TDY-en-route-classes or whatever and some will not.

Every branch is different but for the Navy once the orders are put in by the detailer they are yours and just as good as having orders in hand. As a matter of fact we have never had orders until few weeks before the move. Call the base you are going to and see they maybe able to take it from the list they have via the detailer

Again depending on the branch and more importantly the base location they may provide TLA (Temporary living Assistance). This could be anything from furnished condo/apartments to living in the base lodge. You should have a PCS coordinator on base to talk to. My DH never thought to ask the questions I would so depending on base culture it maybe a good idea to talk to him or make a list for your DH to ask if that isn't allowable. Also go to the base website and find the family service section. They will usually have a big packet of information about the area you are moving to and will tell you all they offer PCSing and out. Of course this is all from a Navy perspective :D

As far as the horrors stories we have had fairly good moves but as Mrs. Mugo says anything you don't want packed hide! I had my kitchen garbage sent from Italy to Brunswick Maine! That was one box I regretted opening.

As far as the horrors stories we have had fairly good moves but as Mrs. Mugo says anything you don't want packed hide! I had my kitchen garbage sent from Italy to Brunswick Maine! That was one box I regretted opening.

Also, empty your flower pots. That was a lesson learned the hard way. :tongue_smilie:

One we did that I really liked was have the backseats of our van shipped (when we only had 2 dc) so I was able to carry more stuff with us.

The other suggestion from me is to have everything in your house in the right spot when the movers arrive. They pretty much pack room-by-room. If your toddler takes your can opener out of the kitchen and stashes it in a bedroom, you'll have a difficult time finding it packed in with bedroom stuff. :001_huh: If everything is in the "right" spot before packing, it is so easy to put your house back together at the other end of the move.

The packers aren't supposed to use your plastic storage totes as shipping containers. They WILL remove all contents and repack in various boxes. If you have all your baby clothes sorted and stored by size now, they won't be when you arrive. :smash:

I am planning an overseas PCS right now and have done two prior moves one with military moving us and one w/o. I recommend having food for the movers. We had donuts and coffee and pizza and soda for lunch time. Most didn't take it but I think it helped both in packing and unpacking the trucks. I also let them use the garage radio. If possible let the kids go to a friends house or have some teens or other adults at your house to help with the kids while the packers/movers are there. Make sure you pet is out of the way and yes I have heard of them packing up the garbage but never had it done personally. We had and will have a room that is marked as no entrance and that will have the stuff that will travel with us to my parents. It will be our bedding and suitcases and the cat, don't need her getting loose. I may just put her in the carrier, safer that way. Anyways- If you are nice they are usually go to ya.

I was able to get onto the housing list when state side before getting to this duty station and you HAVE to have the orders. But they usally don't put you on the list until your reporting date. So if hubby isn't to report until the 1March and you are there 20Feb you will not get put on the list until 01March. Where we are going we cannot get on the list until after we arrive and do some class about the area. ah the joys of being 'married to the military'.

On the schooling side-it gets all packed up with the household goods. We have lived at the library and read many books. We also played card games. School didn't start back up until we were settled. This time will be a bit different since my younge two are to read, I will bring that along and my oldest will have math drills and reading. We are doing two different shipments since we are leaving the country.

you can get more info from OneSource and a few websites, www.cinchouse.com and the other is www.operationhomefront. if the links don't work just google and you will get the links. They use to be one forum but broke off into two this past year or so.

Good luck with your move.

I put it clear out in the car. And brought everything in from the cat that I wouldn't need.

Every branch is different but for the Navy once the orders are put in by the detailer they are yours and just as good as having orders in hand. As a matter of fact we have never had orders until few weeks before the move. Call the base you are going to and see they maybe able to take it from the list they have via the detailer

The winner was the time I got orders at COB Friday to report the next Monday! Housing (and the movers) were not happy. They moved me Monday. Be happy you have warning.

The packers aren't supposed to use your plastic storage totes as shipping containers. They WILL remove all contents and repack in various boxes. If you have all your baby clothes sorted and stored by size now, they won't be when you arrive. :smash:

And if they do actually leave anything in it's original packing materials, it won't be covered by their insurance, so don't let them do that.

If it is in any way conceivable that you might be near your weight limit, watch how they pack your stuff, sometimes they use "a few" more boxes than they really need since the movers get paid by weight. Mine were happy to leave my things in my storage totes, they just used oversized boxes specially made for packing totes in.

Now is the perfect time to declutter in a big way. If you don't love it or need it, get it to someone who would love it or need it, or toss it.

If any of your kids are EFM (or you, FTM), it will get you priority for base housing. Otherwise, you may want to find out how long the waiting list is.

I also fed the movers.

If it is in any way conceivable that you might be near your weight limit, watch how they pack your stuff, sometimes they use "a few" more boxes than they really need since the movers get paid by weight. Mine were happy to leave my things in my storage totes, they just used oversized boxes specially made for packing totes in.

I agree, I've had movers pack my totes into boxes. In fact, they seemed especially fond of labeling boxes "tote," even when it did not contain a tote of any kind.

I also fed the movers.

Yes, always feed the movers!

I agree, I've had movers pack my totes into boxes. In fact, they seemed especially fond of labeling boxes "tote," even when it did not contain a tote of any kind.

Yes, always feed the movers!

If they can pack your totes let them. I've had some companies say "sure no problem" and I've had others say, "we're not allowed to do that" I've had some just tape the tote shut and put the numbered sticker on it. The worst was the ones that dumped the totes willy nilly into boxes and then put the empty totes in big boxes, what a disaster, and my dh is no longer allowed to be supervising the toy room packing ;)

As for the wait list, that really does depend on the base. Even though my dh had orders and I had a copy of them Newport RI would not put us on the wait list until he had a form (can't remember what number) that stated which day he was actually leaving the ship he was currently on, he was on deployment at the time and it was a true pain. It also seemed dumb because they had 50% of the housing open since it was so run down I was one of the few crazy people that wanted it the lady in the housing office told me that was how many were open, but that she couldn't help me until I had that form. The wait lists where we usually go are too long for us to even bother now, but I would definitely call ASAP and see what the policy at the new base is so you can get that in order and taken care of.

I also make sure to feed the movers if they want it. Some have gladly taken me up on it, others didn't want any part of it, they just wanted to get done. I always make sure to have water or some pop available for them, and I try to make sure they know exactly what goes and what doesn't. I also am pretty picky and ask them to please use only the number of boxes they really need since I unpack them on the other end, and also ask them to keep that particular room in it's own boxes. I had one packer that seemed to want to wander the house and pack a little of something from each room.

Good luck on your PCS, I've had to do it more times than I care to count over the last 12 years. This is actually our longest to be somewhere, we've been here 3 years, and will be for another 18 months, maybe more if we can get follow on orders for here.

and also ask them to keep that particular room in it's own boxes. I had one packer that seemed to want to wander the house and pack a little of something from each room.

I agree, this can be a real problem. I usually only realize I had one of those when I discover underwear in a box with my dishes or an AXE (YES, AN AXE, A BIG ONE, NOT A HATCHET) in with my son's toys.

I'm double posting to bump this because I thought of one of *THE* most important moving tips, EVER.

Don't let them take apart any furniture until everything else is out of the house. Then, as they take it apart someone needs to stand over their shoulder with a ziploc bag, sharpie and tape. Put all the screws and such into the ziploc, label it with the sharpie and tape it to the piece of furniture. We learned this after our very first move when *all* screws were dumped together into one box labeled "hardware." One of my good friends moved here a year after we did. They lost all of the screws and such to her furniture and her hubby left for deployment before her stuff even got here. The movers found some screws and put together what they could but my dh spent a day going through his toolbox and adding screws to her furniture.

One we did that I really liked was have the backseats of our van shipped (when we only had 2 dc) so I was able to carry more stuff with us.

Oooh, I like this one! Since we're taking two vehicles, we can split up the three kiddos to ship the backseat of the van...interesting...on the other hand, timing is everything. Do we really want to take one car and one van everywhere we go from the time things are shipped to the time we are reunited with our stuff? Hmmm...

The other suggestion from me is to have everything in your house in the right spot when the movers arrive. They pretty much pack room-by-room. If your toddler takes your can opener out of the kitchen and stashes it in a bedroom, you'll have a difficult time finding it packed in with bedroom stuff. :001_huh: If everything is in the "right" spot before packing, it is so easy to put your house back together at the other end of the move.

Ha! Good point.

The packers aren't supposed to use your plastic storage totes as shipping containers. They WILL remove all contents and repack in various boxes. If you have all your baby clothes sorted and stored by size now, they won't be when you arrive.

Are you for real??? Do they just stack the totes and ship them separately? Why??? I have lots of totes already "packed"!

:smash:

Thanks for your tips!

I am planning an overseas PCS right now and have done two prior moves one with military moving us and one w/o. I recommend having food for the movers. We had donuts and coffee and pizza and soda for lunch time. Most didn't take it but I think it helped both in packing and unpacking the trucks. I also let them use the garage radio. If possible let the kids go to a friends house or have some teens or other adults at your house to help with the kids while the packers/movers are there. Make sure you pet is out of the way and yes I have heard of them packing up the garbage but never had it done personally. We had and will have a room that is marked as no entrance and that will have the stuff that will travel with us to my parents. It will be our bedding and suitcases and the cat, don't need her getting loose. I may just put her in the carrier, safer that way. Anyways- If you are nice they are usually go to ya.

I was able to get onto the housing list when state side before getting to this duty station and you HAVE to have the orders. But they usally don't put you on the list until your reporting date. So if hubby isn't to report until the 1March and you are there 20Feb you will not get put on the list until 01March. Where we are going we cannot get on the list until after we arrive and do some class about the area. ah the joys of being 'married to the military'.

On the schooling side-it gets all packed up with the household goods. We have lived at the library and read many books. We also played card games. School didn't start back up until we were settled. This time will be a bit different since my younge two are to read, I will bring that along and my oldest will have math drills and reading. We are doing two different shipments since we are leaving the country.

you can get more info from OneSource and a few websites, www.cinchouse.com and the other is www.operationhomefront. if the links don't work just google and you will get the links. They use to be one forum but broke off into two this past year or so.

Good luck with your move.

I checked out OneSource yesterday and found lots of helpful stuff on there. I'll definitely be visiting it often! Oops, I didn't really even think about school stuff! Wow!

Oh, and I like the idea of giving food to the movers. Definitely going to be doing that :)

Thanks!

I'm double posting to bump this because I thought of one of *THE* most important moving tips, EVER.

Don't let them take apart any furniture until everything else is out of the house. Then, as they take it apart someone needs to stand over their shoulder with a ziploc bag, sharpie and tape. Put all the screws and such into the ziploc, label it with the sharpie and tape it to the piece of furniture. We learned this after our very first move when *all* screws were dumped together into one box labeled "hardware." One of my good friends moved here a year after we did. They lost all of the screws and such to her furniture and her hubby left for deployment before her stuff even got here. The movers found some screws and put together what they could but my dh spent a day going through his toolbox and adding screws to her furniture.

COPYING AND PASTING ON MY MOVING TIPS SHEET NOW!!! Thanks!

EWWWW!!! I'll definitely be making sure all TRASH is out of the house before they arrive!!! Ha!

I'll be asking DH about a PCS coordinator...He said today he was going to try to get some definite timelines in place so we know what we're doing (since it's obvious we have little clue) :)

Thanks, everyone!

I'm still open to tips and stories, by the way. I really enjoy reading your posts and am gleaning tons!