Menu

LCC 1st Edition vs. LCC 2nd Edition

Tohru

I just bought LCC, 2nd Edition and the book keeps making references to ideas and changes made from the first edition.

Are the 2 editions that different in context? I'm not too fond of the precise schedules and the specific curriculum recommendations in 2nd Edition. Is it like that in the 1st one too?

And if you own 1st edition, would you please give me the ISBN. I'm trying to find it online, but it seems that the only publication date is 2008 and I want to be sure I'm buying the right book. :)

Thanks!

I have the first ed and had the 2nd but I gave it away. It had lots more schedules and was more akin to something more along the lines of WTM in spelling out everything. I love the first ed because while it has suggestions, it is more of a reference. I think the first ed is very hard to find. Alas, at the moment it is very hard to find in my house! I am constantly mislaying it! Let me drink my tea and wake up a bit and then I'll go hunt for it and get you the ISBN.

I

Are the 2 editions that different in context? I'm not too fond of the precise schedules and the specific curriculum recommendations in 2nd Edition. Is it like that in the 1st one too?

There is a major difference in the curriculum. In the first edition, content is divided into English Studies, Modern Studies, Christian Studies, and Classical Studies, with a day for science. Geography and American history are taught in the modern studies day. Medieval history is covered during the English and Christian studies days. There are many different specific book choices. Classical Composition is recommended in the first edition; Classical Writing in the second. A list of family read-alouds is provided in an index in the first edition, recommended grade by grade. I find myself going back to the first edition when I plan.

The first edition is close to impossible to find! Drew really should have thought about keeping the first edition in print if he was going to refer to it so much. :glare:

There is a post here, somewhere called Questions about LCC, and in it someone describes the mutli-streams of history sequence; it may be helpful if you can find it.

I keep my second ...tucked inside the first... kinda sandwiched... when I'm reading... going back and forth. I actually made a huge chart from my son's kindergarten year to his 12 grade with all of the suggestions. So... It's poster sized... as soon as I tweak it... I'm gonna print it at the printers... (which is inexpensive) I hung the one I made in my office... so I can see his whole school life:-)

:-)

Drew really should have thought about keeping the first edition in print if he was going to refer to it so much. :glare:

[/font]

Isn't it published by an imprint of Memoria Press? Authors pretty much only have control over keeping their books in print if they are self-published. Drew self-published Living Memory, but from his questions here and elsewhere, I got the impression that self-publishing an experiment for him. I can't believe he wouldn't make both editions available through Lulu if he thought they would benefit even a handful of home educators.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed
had to add a qualifier about author control because I guess you could write publishing rights in a weird way

Isn't it published by an imprint of Memoria Press? Authors pretty much only have control over keeping their books in print if they are self-published. Drew self-published Living Memory, but from his questions here and elsewhere, I got the impression that self-publishing an experiment for him. I can't believe he wouldn't make both editions available through Lulu if he thought they would benefit even a handful of home educators.

I didn’t think about that, yes, perhaps he has no control whatsoever, or less than I imagined. Well, Memoria Press is to blame then. :tongue_smilie:

They are very different, I have both and I refer to both constantly. So far for K, I think the recommendations have been the most age-appropriate in the 1st edition LCC, and I have to say Drew's recs have been our favorite books this year.

The difficulty is finding the first edition at all! I actually asked on the LCC list-serv and found someone who was willing to part with their copy, but Drew responded that to his knowledge the only 1st edition copies were in libraries and on the private used market. As far as I know, he has no plans to reprint, which is unfortunate.

I'll only say buyer-beware about trying to purchase the 1st edition because I purchased several 2nd editions labeled as 1st editions which I had to return before I finally got my hands on the right book! Good luck!

I'll only say buyer-beware about trying to purchase the 1st edition because I purchased several 2nd editions labeled as 1st editions which I had to return before I finally got my hands on the right book! Good luck!

Thanks. This is the problem I seem to have run into all morning. Every time I email a seller, to verify, they inform me it is the 2nd edition. sheesh! I've already accidentally bought another 2nd edition thinking it was the 1st and have been trying to cancel the order.

Thanks. This is the problem I seem to have run into all morning. Every time I email a seller, to verify, they inform me it is the 2nd edition. sheesh! I've already accidentally bought another 2nd edition thinking it was the 1st and have been trying to cancel the order.

Same problem here too. I have seen the 1st edition at a library (not my own local, though) then ordered the newer edition. I was not happy with the 2nd edition, as it seemed to veer away from what was in the 1st that I loved so much. Who knew it would be so hard to get our hands on a 1st edition now???:confused: