Menu

kinder math

rose_king

Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten is a mix of PreK and Kinder math. The first book (Book A) is geared towards PreK and the second book (Book B) is geared towards Kinder kids. It's a mastery program and it gradually builds concepts and has a review section at the end of each unit. At the bottom of each lesson is a "lesson development" box that gives you ideas on how to teach the lesson. There also is a workbook with lots of cut and paste activities. We are using that now and will finish Book B sometime this month. Because of dd's age, we are going to do another Kinder math curriculum - Horizons K.

Horizons K is a spiral program that seems more advanced than Singapore EB (especially in the second book - more like beginning 1st grade math, in my opinion.). I've also heard the pace of Horizons becomes quick as you get into it more.

Good luck!

Uno, Yahtzee, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Dominos, Go Fish, War, Crazy 8s, cooking together, discussing math when it comes up (dozens of times a day, at least), and dollar store workbooks for the child that really, really, really wants to "do math". That's our super fun approach to primary math, and it has been serving us quite well!

My newly turned 7 year old jumped into Math Mammoth 2b this past September and has breezed through it, based on this foundation. My 4.5 year old has great number recognition and is doing basic addition and subtraction, basically from playing War, Uno and Yahtzee.

:iagree:I personally don't think any formal math is required prior to 1st grade (assuming a literate home in which the child learns to count. . .understands shapes and addition/subtraction. . .) But, my younger 2 dc WANTED school books, so we did Earlybird (erratically) and they loved it. With both of them, I just went straight to PM1 once they were ready (around age 5).

I used Earlybird (Singapore) with both boys. Both enjoyed it.

Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten is a mix of PreK and Kinder math. The first book (Book A) is geared towards PreK and the second book (Book B) is geared towards Kinder kids. It's a mastery program and it gradually builds concepts and has a review section at the end of each unit. At the bottom of each lesson is a "lesson development" box that gives you ideas on how to teach the lesson. There also is a workbook with lots of cut and paste activities. We are using that now and will finish Book B sometime this month. Because of dd's age, we are going to do another Kinder math curriculum - Horizons K.

Horizons K is a spiral program that seems more advanced than Singapore EB (especially in the second book - more like beginning 1st grade math, in my opinion.). I've also heard the pace of Horizons becomes quick as you get into it more.

Good luck!

That is very helpfull. You are the second to recommend Earlybird. I will have to really look into it. Hmmmm....

Uno, Yahtzee, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Dominos, Go Fish, War, Crazy 8s, cooking together, discussing math when it comes up (dozens of times a day, at least), and dollar store workbooks for the child that really, really, really wants to "do math". That's our super fun approach to primary math, and it has been serving us quite well!

My newly turned 7 year old jumped into Math Mammoth 2b this past September and has breezed through it, based on this foundation. My 4.5 year old has great number recognition and is doing basic addition and subtraction, basically from playing War, Uno and Yahtzee.

We do little things like that now. He is also 4.5. He insists he is a "big boy", and wants his own "school".:glare: I want to get something that I can use for more than a year. Maybe something he can grow with, if it turns out he is not really ready for the more formal class work. What do you think? Stick with what we are doing now, or get a curriculum to let him try?:confused:

We've been casually working in Miquon Orange. We do a lot of dominoes games, gears, Quadrilla, Uno, Chutes & Ladders and other board games using counting.

I really thought we'd be more formal about math, but honestly, the casual approach for all of Kinder has worked really well for us.

:iagree:I personally don't think any formal math is required prior to 1st grade (assuming a literate home in which the child learns to count. . .understands shapes and addition/subtraction. . .) But, my younger 2 dc WANTED school books, so we did Earlybird (erratically) and they loved it. With both of them, I just went straight to PM1 once they were ready (around age 5).

Thanks. DS is 4.5 and is determined that he is a "big boy" and wants his own "school".:glare: I like to think that I am a little formal about education. It usually last about 2 wks with each new idea and dollar spent...:lol: I have great intentions.

My daughter LOVED Saxon K. Definitely need the manipulatives or it's not going to be as fun...but if you stick with Saxon, you'll use them for the next four years anyway.

Some people I know say to just start with Saxon 1 and just go through it more slowly. That probably would have worked just fine too, but we started when she was four years old and it seemed a bit of a stretch for her age. :) Have fun with deciding!

I feel like all I have done for the past 3 days is research math curriculums! Here's what I have decided we are going to do at this point. This may change significantly once I figure out which method works for which kid, but just based on reading lots of reviews, this is the current plan:

for now (late preschool) through early kindergarten:

Singapore EarlyBird Kindergarten Math Textbook A

Math-U-See’s Primer w/ Starter Blocks

Mathtacular 1 DVD

for kindergarten / 1st grade, the current plan is:

RightStart Level A

Singapore Math EarlyBird KB

MUS Alpha

for 1st grade / 2nd grade, the current plan is:

RightStart Level B

Singapore Math Primary Math 1A

Miquon Orange Book & Red Book

Singapore Math Primary Math 1B

Miquon Blue Book & Green Book

Mathtacular 2 DVD

I'm sure these plans will change significantly once I figure out how each kid does with each program, but not knowing that upfront, this is the plan. (This may be total overkill, but I have 2 children who are not the fastest learners, and I want to be sure we have totally covered all the basics and have them down cold.)

Here are some other things I copied from other posts that may be helpful to you too.

·Chart to combo Sing & Miquon http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm

·Singapore: If a parent is unfamiliar or uncomfortable with teaching elementary math, most certainly get Elementary Mathematics For Teachers. It's a fantastic textbook for math teachers and is designed to prepare you for teaching SM effectively, which is non-trivial.

·The emphasis in Singapore is on deep conceptual knowledge of mathematical concepts, rather than learning by rote. Be prepared to stop and review or drill on your own until you are sure your child thoroughly understands the concepts. The curriculum introduces concepts thoroughly but assumes (I think) that the parent will take the time to work deeply and slow down on areas that the child does not understand right away.

·Singapore is structured and teaches a certain thinking process to the point of mastery. The scope of content is somewhat narrow, and incorporates many word problems. Miquon is flexible and encourages independent discovery and mathematical exploration. The scope of content is broad, but does not include word problems. Both curricula are fun, engaging, and well-laid-out. We are quite happy using Miquon and Singapore together -- they are pleasantly complementary, and provide necessary review, refreshing variety, and a fun, engaging, and confidence-building math learning experience.

·We have been using Singapore Primary Math to supplement MUS, partly for this reason, and partly for just exposure to other topics and ways of thinking. We do MUS on MWF and Singapore on TTh.

·We SM about twice a week and RS 4 days.

At 4.5 we used Right Start A, since Ariel HATED worksheets and loved hands on stuff, this was perfect. She loved it so much she got upset if we did schoolwork and didn't do her math. I also let her play with Mighty Mind and the geoboards and games that came with RS, and she thought the Mathtacular video from Sonlight was great. This year we're doing a combo of MEP and RS B with some Miquon tossed in. She likes math a lot, and they all have different approaches, and it keeps us from getting bored. She also plays Sum Swamp, Mighty Mind, Double Shutter and Mathletics for fun.

We do little things like that now. He is also 4.5. He insists he is a "big boy", and wants his own "school".:glare: I want to get something that I can use for more than a year. Maybe something he can grow with, if it turns out he is not really ready for the more formal class work. What do you think? Stick with what we are doing now, or get a curriculum to let him try?:confused:

When my daughter started asking like this I found lots of pre-k/k workbooks at the dollar store that she could plow through. It was a very inexpensive option, and we always had lots on hand that she could choose from whenever she was interested. (Even at 4 she would sometimes do hours of this a day! She adores math.)

I have also printed a lot of worksheets from http://worksheetworks.com, which is a fabulous resource with lots of math basics, puzzles (mazes, sudoku, etc.) and other interesting activities.

So if what he really wants is to be able to sit down and do a workbook page every day -- or if he's like my girl who wanted to do 10 a day! -- you might be well served by a some cheap consumables to supplement the fun stuff you're already doing.

I do wonder about making a decision around which math curriculum to use for the long haul when kids are at the pre-k level. I'm not sure I could plan that out too far in advance for my son right now, as I don't know what his learning style preferences will be a couple of years down the road. And some decisions I made for my daughter a couple of years ago haven't turned out as I'd expected.

With my 3.5yo, I am taking ideas from the early bits of RS Activities for the AL Abacus, CSMP K, and Mathematics Made Meaningful (which uses Cuisenaire rods). I plan to add MEP Reception as soon I take the time to read through it, and I have Miquon to toss into the mix at some point, as well.

I read through the relevant sections when I have time, jot down any ideas that seem feasible, and then, whenever dd3 seems to need something to do, I pull out the abacus or Cuisenaire rods (she loves her rods :)) and let her have at it. It's at least 50% free play, but I try to be involved and offer suggestions and show her something new every so often. It's working for the moment, though dd1 can make it something of a challenge ;).

Miquon "Orange" is the name of the first workbook. As (if not more important are the THREE teachers books: First Grade Diary, Notes to Teachers, and Lab Annotations. These teachers materials really helped shape my way of teaching math at this age. Miquon uses Cuisenaire rods as the primary math manipulative. Starting with Miquon I've found to be a wonderful introduction to math. Especially nice is that children can (with the aid of the rods) start using "concrete" methods to build values using different combinations. They get some "discovery" time (without a lot of "parental-yacking), so their little brains work, and it's fun, so it's "play" more than "work". Very highly recommended!!!

We also used Earlybird after a fair amount of time with Miquon. I knew Singapore wold be our main program, but I liked (but didn't "love") EB. I've been happier since we moved up to 1A.

We are using MEP as a supplement. It's wonderful critical thinking math approach that melds well with Singapore, and fun for a child whose mind has been primed by Miquon.

The Right Start games have been popular in lieu of drill.

Best wishes.

Bill

My daughter LOVED Saxon K. Definitely need the manipulatives or it's not going to be as fun...but if you stick with Saxon, you'll use them for the next four years anyway.

Some people I know say to just start with Saxon 1 and just go through it more slowly. That probably would have worked just fine too, but we started when she was four years old and it seemed a bit of a stretch for her age. :) Have fun with deciding!

Thanks!:001_smile: I will add that to my list of things to research.

I feel like all I have done for the past 3 days is research math curriculums! Here's what I have decided we are going to do at this point. This may change significantly once I figure out which method works for which kid, but just based on reading lots of reviews, this is the current plan:

for now (late preschool) through early kindergarten:

Singapore EarlyBird Kindergarten Math Textbook A

Math-U-See’s Primer w/ Starter Blocks

Mathtacular 1 DVD

for kindergarten / 1st grade, the current plan is:

RightStart Level A

Singapore Math EarlyBird KB

MUS Alpha

for 1st grade / 2nd grade, the current plan is:

RightStart Level B

Singapore Math Primary Math 1A

Miquon Orange Book & Red Book

Singapore Math Primary Math 1B

Miquon Blue Book & Green Book

Mathtacular 2 DVD

I'm sure these plans will change significantly once I figure out how each kid does with each program, but not knowing that upfront, this is the plan. (This may be total overkill, but I have 2 children who are not the fastest learners, and I want to be sure we have totally covered all the basics and have them down cold.)

Here are some other things I copied from other posts that may be helpful to you too.

·Chart to combo Sing & Miquon http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm

·Singapore: If a parent is unfamiliar or uncomfortable with teaching elementary math, most certainly get Elementary Mathematics For Teachers. It's a fantastic textbook for math teachers and is designed to prepare you for teaching SM effectively, which is non-trivial.

·The emphasis in Singapore is on deep conceptual knowledge of mathematical concepts, rather than learning by rote. Be prepared to stop and review or drill on your own until you are sure your child thoroughly understands the concepts. The curriculum introduces concepts thoroughly but assumes (I think) that the parent will take the time to work deeply and slow down on areas that the child does not understand right away.

·Singapore is structured and teaches a certain thinking process to the point of mastery. The scope of content is somewhat narrow, and incorporates many word problems. Miquon is flexible and encourages independent discovery and mathematical exploration. The scope of content is broad, but does not include word problems. Both curricula are fun, engaging, and well-laid-out. We are quite happy using Miquon and Singapore together -- they are pleasantly complementary, and provide necessary review, refreshing variety, and a fun, engaging, and confidence-building math learning experience.

·We have been using Singapore Primary Math to supplement MUS, partly for this reason, and partly for just exposure to other topics and ways of thinking. We do MUS on MWF and Singapore on TTh.

·We SM about twice a week and RS 4 days.

WOW! You have really done your research. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all that you have found. I will definitely look into that. I also want to make sure that he has each new concept down befor we move on.

Thank You! Thank You!:cheers2:

At 4.5 we used Right Start A, since Ariel HATED worksheets and loved hands on stuff, this was perfect. She loved it so much she got upset if we did schoolwork and didn't do her math. I also let her play with Mighty Mind and the geoboards and games that came with RS, and she thought the Mathtacular video from Sonlight was great. This year we're doing a combo of MEP and RS B with some Miquon tossed in. She likes math a lot, and they all have different approaches, and it keeps us from getting bored. She also plays Sum Swamp, Mighty Mind, Double Shutter and Mathletics for fun.

This sounds really interesting. Roper is very hands on. I think he would do really well with more manipulatives. Hmmmm....what to do? :confused: So much good advice...

We are using Horizons K right now, and while it is a fairly advanced K curriculum, and I really like the gentle way that it teaches advanced concepts, it has turned out to be complete drudgery for dd. There is just nothing fun about it for a child that doesn't inherently like math. So we are switching to CSMP as soon as I can get it printed. It uses a lot of stories to teach concepts (great for my verbally gifted dd!) and is still an advanced curriculum (they are learning multiplication in 1st grade!).

we started with singapore Earlybird and it was WAY to slow. we are now in Horizons K and moving along much better.

I agree with this in regards to EB -it's slow but it's easy to skip stuff and only work on the material your son needs in a unit. But I don't think it will be a one year program for PreK (Book A) then another year for Kinder (Book B).