Menu

Need craft ideas for a 5-year-old girl

I'm looking for some ideas for my daughter to do so I can sit and knit and relax for a bit in the afternoons and so we can still be spending time together.

She has decent fine motor skills for her age, but I'm thinking her attention span and perfectionist tendencies would not be conducive to learning to knit yet. She has done some small bead stringing on the plastic laces to make jewelry, etc. but gets bored with this after a while. I'd like to find something for her in the yarncraft vein. I've thought about latchhook but not sure if she could do this yet.

Would love any ideas.

Thank you! :)

My daughter also does the potholder thing too. But I always have to finish it off for her.

I think knitting would be too hard for a 5 year. Generally crocheting is easier than knitting and that would probably be too hard also.

What about painting, playdough, or coloring? My DD can work at those for a long time without help.

My 5 year old DD has just begun scrapbooking. She absolutely loves it. Yesterday afternoon we all sat down and scrapbooked together (me, DD5, and my MIL). I got her an 8x8 album, some papers, some stickers, scrapbooking tape, printed some photos at WalGreens (50 pics for $4.50 until the 9th) etc. She loves doing it and enjoys showing off her albums. She can do it alone or with me whenever I scrapbook.

My DD5 is very crafty as well. For Christmas she got tons of craft stuff.....lots of various things like tape, string, an art kit, papers of different colors.....she creates various things with this stuff all the time.

my 5 year old is learning to knit.

she has a big box of lots of craft stuff - just hit the dollar tree and think twice before you throw stuff away and fill up a box for her to go crazy with

my dd would love to scrapbook. i might need to look into that for her

there are some good, inexpensive craft kits at joanns that are pretty simple looking

My daughter likes to make puppets.

Her favorite is also the easiest for me (lol) which is basically I draw shapes or she colors pictures on some construction paper, then she cuts them out and tapes them to straws. Then she puts on puppet shows (They're usually musicals..haha)

She could also do it with socks (simple sewing or with glue to embellish with various scrap items), paper bags, toilet paper rolls (DLTK I think has a bunch of printable toilet paper roll puppets), popcicle sticks, etc.

My daughter also loves to make cards (like greeting cards). Maybe make some cards to cheer up our troops, the elderly, or terminally ill children?

My 5 year old has been using a knitting nancy (corking, spool knitting) for about a year; at times she gets stuck, but I just fix it and she's right back on track. I bought her little knitting nancy at my local yarn shop for about $6. I've also seen them in Magic Cabin, at Joann's, Michael's, etc...

Here's a link to a cute little book showing how to make one at home even, and some easy crafts which can be made with the knitted product.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm thinking the potholders and the plastic needles and canvas may be right up her alley (and mine). She does love to make cards and draw and do scrapbooky type things. Any thoughts on latchhook? I can't remember how old I was when I did that, but I think it was a bit older.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the list of craft ideas on this site http://www.keepersofthefaith.com/category/ChildrensCrafts and the idea of handiwork ala Charlotte Mason and would like to encourage this as she is ready.

Thanks again!