Menu

Thinking ahead for 6th...(writing)

Fran51

I have and am remediating my 7th and 8th graders with Writing With Ease. My 8th grader has finished that, and I am now going to just get some inexpensive paragraphing books (like Paragraph Writing Made Easy) for him to work on the rest of the year. I am hoping to have him easily writing good paragraphs by the time he begins 9th in the fall, so that he can then move to longer papers.

My 7th grader is nearly done with WWE 3 (using just the main book). I think that she needs more work on the mechanics, so I'm going to get the WWE 4 workbook for her, and take her through most, if not all, of that. Then she can move on to paragrahing, etc. For her, I am looking at the Paragraph Book (1-4) from EPS, I think.

We are CW dropouts. Writing Strands is not going well either. Any opinions about LLATL for a 6th grader? Any other favorite programs? I need help with this one! Thanks:)

Are you looking for a writing program or complete language arts. LLATL is a complete program. If you looking for an easy to implement writing program, you might consider Wordsmith from Common Sense Press or Jump In from Apologia. Both are written to the student and cover middle school writing.

To clarify, I am looking for a writing program but would take the whole package of LLATL if it's a good program. We are using VIE for grammar and trying to implement a separate writing program (per SWB's recs). Dd is a good writer, but she is just not making the connection with Writing Strands and is floundering. CW was good, but I could not retain the info I needed to teach it.

I was under the impression WWE only covered thru 4th. Is there a middle-school level for it now?

Thanks for this helpful info.

We are using Write Shop for 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here.

It is because of my trust in Sue and her choices that led me to Write Shop. It is exactly what we needed! DS needs explicit instruction and so do I! Everything is laid out for us. Both of us know what is expected.

I did not find there to be that great of a learning curve. Yes, I had to spend time with the manual and I flip through the pages during the lessons. But, really, it becomes a natural, active part of the learning process.

I love it and can't thank Sue enough! ;)

It is because of my trust in Sue and her choices that led me to Write Shop. It is exactly what we needed!

:blush: I'm so glad it's going well. We just started on our 8th grade portion. I will admit that I am dreading it.

Sue, thank you for your review. About how long would you say your learning curve was?

I would say maybe 3 months. I am almost embarrassed by the number of times I must read through the lesson before I cover it with ds. I wrote a bit more about the learning curve in this thread.

:blush: I'm so glad it's going well. We just started on our 8th grade portion. I will admit that I am dreading it.

I would say maybe 3 months. I am almost embarrassed by the number of times I must read through the lesson before I cover it with ds. I wrote a bit more about the learning curve in this thread.

Sue! I remember you telling me that you hate doing the practice paragraph. Me too! DS is such a struggling writer (or should I say thinker - hee hee). It is like pulling teeth to get ideas out of that boy. But, the fact that it must be done and gets done, helps him out BIG time. :001_smile:

I did wordsmith apprentice for my son last year he was in 5th and it was good but then we switched to Michael Clay Thompson for grammar and writing and it is very good. Next year we will be using Magic lens 1 full set because it has went so well using the other parts of MCT. I can't rave about it enough. here is the site if you want to check it out

http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

with my sixth grader we did grammar voyage this year and essay voyage. He hates to write. This is helping though because we are learning how to write and then practicing it using topics from other subjects.

Well, FWIW, I'll pass on our journey with writing in hopes that it may help you.

I have tried Writing Strands with my dd three different times without very much success. I even bought IEW's Ancient history theme based program for this year, and have not even used it. :confused: I like it, but for some reason, I don't feel like it is really going to lay enough ground work and variety in writing instruction for us. Plus, knowing my dd who is a bit lazy with writing, the keyword outline would turn into nothing more than a plagirized paragraph. I bought AG to do for grammar, but found myself referring to R&S English 6 so often that I have completely switched dd over to that. In the process, I have been extremely pleased with the writing instruction. This has provided the gradual, yet progressive foundation that I was looking for. DD is not so thrilled with it because she really has to work at writing. However, each assignment does get easier for her. I continue to encourage and remind her that if we work hard building these skills now, HS and college will be much easier. I am using WWE with my ds, but I also use those techniques/skills with my dd as well.

Keep looking until you find what accomplishes your goals. Don't be dismayed if it takes a few tries at different curriculum before you find what works. I have learned that's one of the best benefits of homeschooling.

Jennifer