Menu

Should I consider a co-op or a la carte class for 10th grade in Fall 2010?

Wondering what to do...

A) Brand new co-op opening this year near us -- we've never done a coop before -- but it promises to be geared towards junior high and senior high and do academics instead of extracurricular. How can they meet the needs of High Schoolers -- even if they do 2x a week classes? Advice?

B) Another place (45 minutes away) offers a la carte type of (9-12) HS classes (2x a week) taught by former teachers for a monthly fee. This will be more expensive in the long run -- but it REALLY appeals to me. But am wondering if the coop is better? I am looking for a class in Science for 10th grade -- any advice is appreciated.

We have been in both. The education my girls received have been similar. Both have been worthy. On the other hand, I am in a co-op that is in in 17th year. The pay option had been in place for 9 years. I guess I would consider my finances and talk to the organizers and go with what you sense is best.

I've found that outsourcing a few classes has been very good for my high school students, especially in the area of cementing their confidence that they can hold their own with peers in a 'non-mommy' academic setting.

As to only meeting twice a week, I wouldn't think that's a problem at all, if the time is well spent and the text is good. Most of the outside classes my kids have taken, including several science courses, have been once a week.

Blessings,

Debbie

A) Brand new co-op opening this year near us -- we've never done a coop before -- but it promises to be geared towards junior high and senior high and do academics instead of extracurricular. How can they meet the needs of High Schoolers -- even if they do 2x a week classes? Advice?

It depends on the classes. Is it all subjects, or do you have choices?

B) Another place (45 minutes away) offers a la carte type of (9-12) HS classes (2x a week) taught by former teachers for a monthly fee. This will be more expensive in the long run -- but it REALLY appeals to me. But am wondering if the coop is better? I am looking for a class in Science for 10th grade -- any advice is appreciated.

45 minutes? Twice a week? That would probably not have worked for me, unless I could have carpooled.

ETA: I put this under Charlotte's post b/c I agree with her about the students doing the majority of the work for the class at home. My kids have had several classes in which they received (or I sent home , if I was the teacher) assignments sheets that were two to three pages long. (Think what a TOG or HOW assignment sheet would look like for a week's worth of work.)

Our "scholastic co-op" is not really a co-op at all, except that each family has hours they volunteer to work to keep it running. We pay tutors a monthly fee to teach the class. I feel that this works really well because it takes a lot of time to prepare a high school level class and to do justice to grading homework and papers, and I'm not sure it is fair to the techers to ask them to volunteer that many hours/week. IOW, I'd rather pay to ensure high quality.

Based on our experience, history/lit combo classes work best if they are two hours per week (could be a block of two hours) because it takes a lot of time to discuss. Math and foreign languages work best if they are two separate days per week, because you just have to have the feedback in between lessons. Science labs (Apologia specifically) seem to work OK at our co-op with one class period per week. The students do virtually all their own work outside of class and the parent grade the tests and practice problems.

The Speech and English Comp teachers seem to be content with one period/week. Government and Econ is currently being taught as a T/Th period class, as it is discussion intensive. Art classes tend to be 1 hour of instruction with drop-in "work" time as the students have free periods throughout the day.

hth

(BTW, even though ours is an "academic" co-op, the leadership is constantly fighting to keep standards appropriately high. So many families just do not have the vision for a rigorous education. The last two years we've moved more and more away from our co-op for my senior. I am sending my dd for one class--science--only, and the rest she is outsourcing online or dual credit at the local univ.)

Edited by Valerie(TX)

In my experience, whether the co-op or drop-off classes will meet your needs dependson the teacher and curricula used and, to an extent also, the leadership and aims of the organization. You'll need to investigate and speak with the teacher, find out his/her expecations, goals, policies, curricula, experience, etc. It's also important to find out about the leadership and its goals/aims/rules/policies. These criteria are much more important than whether you are paying for the class or not. Also, again just my experience, but a new start-up may have some kinks that have to get worked out the first or second year. We are in a true co-op in which parents teach the classes. It's worked out beautifully for us so far!

HTH,

Lisa

In my experience, whether the co-op or drop-off classes will meet your needs dependson the teacher and curricula used and, to an extent also, the leadership and aims of the organization. You'll need to investigate and speak with the teacher, find out his/her expecations, goals, policies, curricula, experience, etc. It's also important to find out about the leadership and its goals/aims/rules/policies. These criteria are much more important than whether you are paying for the class or not. Also, again just my experience, but a new start-up may have some kinks that have to get worked out the first or second year. We are in a true co-op in which parents teach the classes. It's worked out beautifully for us so far!

HTH,

Lisa

Thanks Lisa!

That's what worries me... I will have to work out the kinks of the new coop for my son's 10th/11th grades. But it is with a great group of ladies I know very well from my HS support group. I don't mind teaching or volunteering. But do confess the idea of dropping him off for an a la carte class 2x a week is tempting despite the long distance. Will ask the coop more questions -- they just announced and will begin in Fall 2010.