Menu

Best wrap/sling for baby?

I'm about 2 1/2 months into my first Moby and I like it. I still use the Baby Bjorn sometimes because it is so much faster get it on and off for nursing, buckling into the car, etc. I will say that my baby girl sleeps better in the Moby then in the Bjorn. HTH!

The Moby or SleepyWrap is nice until baby gets heavy. The fabric tends to stretch. I made my own out of a VERY light cotton-blend, almost gauze-like fabric. Sometimes you can find great fabric at the $1/yd table at WalMart. You need about 5.5-6yds. Then if you have a sewing machine (serger is best) or if you know someone, just sew up the edges.

It does have quite the learning curve and you have to fold the fabric when you're done with it. But there are how-to videos on YouTube that can help. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy to manage.

I love the look of the Beco. Never tried one though. Did love my Sutemi and my good friend loves her Ergo.

For a sling sling - I loved these:

http://www.lucky-baby.com/p_home.asp

I preferred fleece for a stretchier fit on a newborn. But it is warm to hot in the summer so take that into consideration. I had a pretty cotton one for summer / dressier occasions.

I had a mei tai but could never get it to fit comfortably for me. You are supposed to be able to wear an itty-bitty babe on your back (that was appealing) but I never could get the positioning down correctly - even with help. There are quite a few online tutorials though so perhaps you will be more successful.

I've owned every type of carrier and many many different brands :)

How old/big is your LO? Do you like the idea of a wrap, sling, or something easier?

A Moby doesn't last long, if you want a wrap invest the money in a woven wrap, mine has been seriously abused and holds even my 40 lb. DS. My moby gave out on us when DS2 hit 19 lbs and I hated having to boost him back and up retie. I also love Soft Structured carriers. I have an Angel pack LX that is great.

I know there are so many out there. Which one should I buy that is the most comfortable for me and baby, easy to assemble and use, and will last. Need experienced users suggestions. Thanks!

A wrap, because there is no structure, is the most versatile YET requires a bit of practice before using, because its "assembly" is not very obvious.

I think the age of the baby and how long you plan to use it (or if you are willing to have a different choice when the baby gets older) makes a difference. I have liked wraps, but they do get hot. Mei-tai sort of things (soft structured carriers, not a pouch type) are a bit easier to use, but I am not sure are very good for young, young babies.

http://thebabywearer.com/ has some helpful information, but can be overwhelming; maybe their section on choosing will help.

Another vote for the Moby here. I am not a "baby wearing person" but decided to give it a try when my ds was born slightly early and was a fussy baby. Both he and I loved it! It was ackward at first, but my 11 yo dd taught herself how to help me put it on with the youtube videos and we were good to go.

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to look at and consider. I also appreciate you sharing with me how the Moby doesn't last too well past 20 lbs. and giving me other options to consider after that size. I finally looked at the Moby and was pleasantly surprised to see the price. I thought for sure I would be looking $100 or more for any of the slings/wraps, etc. I can handle $45! I hope there are others that are fairly priced too.

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to look at and consider. I also appreciate you sharing with me how the Moby doesn't last too well past 20 lbs. and giving me other options to consider after that size. I finally looked at the Moby and was pleasantly surprised to see the price. I thought for sure I would be looking $100 or more for any of the slings/wraps, etc. I can handle $45! I hope there are others that are fairly priced too.

I would visit the link that a PP provided: www.thebabywearer.com

You can buy something used, but in excellent condition! You can also see pictures of people wearing the different styles, which may be helpful.

Another vote for the Moby Wrap here, especially if for a newborn/young baby. Though I would disagree about the weight concerns... My three kids all hit 20lbs well before 6 mos of age, and I carried them in the Moby for years. In fact, I once carried my 4 yo on my back in the Moby. The trick is to tie the wrap very snug in the beginning as it will settle a little in the first couple of minutes.

However, I will agree that another option is nice for older babies. A Mei Tai or the Ergo would be great for back carries, and are cooler for the warm weather months.

I LOVED my Over the Shoulder Baby Holder (OTSBH) and would recommend it to anyone!. I had one with both daughters from birth through 3-4 years. They were washed multiple times and held up incredibly well. I love the padding (rails) that support a newborn's head - and a toddler's bottom! PERFECT sling for us!

At the time, I was a LLL Leader and our Group sold them. you may find a local LLL Group that sells them. You can also order from Slingbaby. HTH!

kangarookorner.com fleece wraps. my two LIVED in theirs and friends galore have agreed. it's THE GIFT we give when someone has a baby around here. they also have a cotton one for warm weather.

This is what I have and it's great. I love that it is super easy to put on, no fumbling with straps or tying things. Z. loves it and lived in it the first 2 months or so. Now she likes to be out more to play but she's in the sling to nap. It's very comfy for me. The fleece isn't as hot as you'd think either. I haven't used it in mid-summer but I did use it back in Sept/Oct here in Virginia where the temps are 70-80's and it was fine.

Over the years I've tried out dozens of sling (I'm a retailer) & my top 3 would be a Didymos wraparound, Taylor Made Treasure ring sling (water mesh for ease of cleanup if you have a sick baby) & Ergo for back carrying an older toddler.

I'd hate to have to limit myself to just one. To me it would be like only having one pair of footwear to use for hiking, around the house, going out & wanting to look nice, etc.:001_huh: