Menu

Recommend sewing patterns for Amer. Girl clothes...

If you are a beginning seamstress ("sewer" just seems like the wrong word!), you might find doll clothes to be a bit frustrating. However, most pattern companies have doll clothes patterns. They're usually in the back of the pattern books, in the crafting sections. Also, take into consideration that not every AG doll is stuffed the same, so do some "fittings" with your doll as you go, to ensure the clothes fit.

No, an infant pattern would be a bad idea, and also harder than a doll pattern. If you look in the craft section of any pattern book by the Big 3, you'll find several 18" doll patterns that will work great for AG dolls. Some will be fancy and others will be easy. Wait for one of those sales where the patterns are 99 cents or $2, and stock up!

McCalls and Simplicity have tons of these.

Edited by dangermom

There are some Sewing For Dummies Patterns available for the AG doll. And they are cute and designed for beginners. I would recommend you chose patterns that don't have lots of extras like details or buttons that need button holes (and yes there are some for dolls). Even with those my mom usually adds sew in velcro because it is easier. Sleeves and pants are the most difficult usually. I would start with jumpers most likely. Or find patterns where the shirt is one piece for the front and 2 for the back that includes sleeves, not 4 pieces or more. Pants with elastic waists wil be easier than the ones with tiny waistbands.

happy Sewing!