Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - let's begin

I hadn't intended to do a book a week but maybe I can do it after all.

Book #1 - "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton

I wanted to read a book like "The Thirteenth Tale" and someone suggested this one. It is not as well written as TTT but it was a very enjoyable read nonetheless. It covers three time periods: 1913, 1975, and 2005 and switches back and forth - a little mind-bending at times but a rollicking good read. I read it on a Kindle and could not put it down.

Book #2 - "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand

I have been meaning to get to this one for a looong time, and finally used an audible credit so I can listen on my Ipod. I'm just a few hours in, and it is getting interesting but it still hasn't snagged me. I'm sure with a few more hours of listening it will be more enjoyable; that's the way it goes with some books, so I'm reserving judgment.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, Jenn, and Julie, thank you for educating me. I need all the help I can get. ;)

I'm sure I'll call on you soon enough for some help :p You're welcome :)

Each week on Saturday or at latest on Sunday will post the weekly thread and that is where you let us know what you read that week. So yes, this is the right place for your 1st weeks reads. Just keep posting on most recent thread - this one - until the new one goes up.

To all - if you don't finish book 1 by the time week 2 starts on Sunday - don't worry. Just post on the newest thread about it.

I want to read Undress Me and it is on my wishlist. Airborn sounds good - my wishlist is going to grow by leaps and bounds. Good luck with All Quiet on the Western Front. I know what you mean about classics - I avoided as well until recently.

My library is ordering it. I read someone's review of it (for the 52/52 challenge) and had to add it to my list.

I finished a second book this week, so I'm not sure if this counts or not. It was the autobiography of long distance swimmer Lynne Cox, Swimming to Antarctica. So, one fiction, one nonfiction. I have to do more than one per week this month as dd is reading some books just prior to starting her freshman English course so I can figure out her assignments (this is mocking the ps summer reading list for honours students, since she wants to read some of the same books ps students do, but this one is for phys ed--the other one I read this week I posted before was Fahrenheit 451.)

I finished a second book this week, so I'm not sure if this counts or not. It was the autobiography of long distance swimmer Lynne Cox, Swimming to Antarctica. So, one fiction, one nonfiction. I have to do more than one per week this month as dd is reading some books just prior to starting her freshman English course so I can figure out her assignments (this is mocking the ps summer reading list for honours students, since she wants to read some of the same books ps students do, but this one is for phys ed--the other one I read this week I posted before was Fahrenheit 451.)

I finished the Jungle yesterday :glare: It's my classical for January and I expected it to take much longer (like into this week at least). I blogged it, but m'eh, what're you going to do?

I gobbled up The Alchemist, The Magician, and The Sorceress this past week because they were fun and interesting. This week I've restarted Gulliver's Travels.

So, if I get behind with a big sticky classics later in the year, can my advantage of 3 books last week be used as a fill in? :)

:lurk5:

Inquiring minds want to know!

Goodness!!! So many of you are reading such serious stuff! Good for you!:)

I am reading light stuff right now - and if life stays heavy, the light reading may continue for the year!!!:glare::001_smile: Although, I do want to read a few classics - haven't decided which ones or when . . .

So far, I have read "The Missing", volume two in the Beverly Lewis series, Seasons of Grace. I am currently reading Nicholas Sparks' non-fiction memoir, co-authored with his brother, Micah, "Three Weeks With My Brother", which I saw mentioned in a positive light in the 2009 challenge thread. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and it is funny, poignant, engaging.

I hadn't really committed to it 52 books for a second year, but it's become a habit, I guess. (Or almost. I'm a day late.)

I finished Four Queens, the story of four sisters who became the queens of France, England, the Romans [Germany], and Sicily in the mid-thirteenth century. A quick, entertaining, and yet informative read. Highly recommended.

I just finished "Two-Part Invention."

It's one of those books that leaves you feeling so empty handed afterwards. I wish it could've gone on for ages :( It was a wonderful book, really moving.

So (as if anyone's to-read list is short) if anyone is looking for some nonfiction, autbiographical work my rec is:

Madeleine L'Engle "Two-Part Invention"