Menu

Elemental Science: Ebook or Lulu Print?

Samiam

Hmm, can I just start by saying I HATE Ebooks. Why does every publisher want to sell Ebooks. I am ultra frugal with my ink and paper, and hate to print out large books at home. I normally send it to Kinko's, which did not save me money or time.

So anyway, I about to purchase Elemental Science. I can either purchase the Ebook, but then I will have to send it to Kinko's to print. I think I saw the TM is 47 pages and the Student book was 147 pages. I think the price was $15 or something like that.

Or I can purchase them printed from Lulu....I think it will cost me $12 for TM and $15 for Student Book, something around there...plus probably shipping.

Hmm, can't remember how much it cost to print at Kinko's. Problem is, you can't see online the price, until you have uploaded the book to the Kinko's website to send to print, then they tell you the price.

Anyone found a cheaper way to print....or have any better recommendations for my quagmire??

Can I just say I hate Ebooks!!!

We're in the same sinking boat. I don't like being tied to the computer if I don't print out the ebooks. But getting it NOW is the lure of ebooks. I bought the Chem for Grammar Stage of Elemental Science as the ebook. I sat down one day and printed the pages. Now granted there isn't much on the pages except lines so it didn't take all that much ink.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get WWE3 as an ebook. The actual book is HUGE (my friend just bought it) b/c the passages are in the student text and are therefore single sided. So many pages only have 1/4 of the page w/ text which is a waste. And it takes up so much room AND by the binding being so wide, it makes it difficult to photocopy on my scanner bed since I have another son who'll be using it. In that regard, I'd much rather just hit print than have to sit at the printer and wait for it to scan each. and. every. page. So I haven't decided if it's better to just buy the book, have the binding cut, bind the teacher portion and have the student portion 3-hole punched. And then for subsequent kids, just buy another set of student pages. Or buy the ebook and print it myself. I asked at Staples today. For a 100page document, double-sided, on heavy weight paper, the cost is about $20.00. Then add another $3 for binding etc.

I don't have any answers. :001_huh:

I just ordered this through Lulu.

The same day it arrived at my doorstep, I took two "free" e-books to Office Max and had printed and spiral bound. (One was 161 pages, the other 64 pages. Plastic covers. Cost $21)

It was a sharp contrast for me...

The quality from Lulu is great. I have never had problems with their binding before.

But the two e-books I had printed and spiral bound are awesome. I love that I can open to the page and it will lay flat.

I really, really wish I had thought of that before I ordered the science book from Lulu! For my son, at least, a spiral bound student book would work so much better.

How do you take an e-book to Office Max to be printed? Sorry if I'm just being dense. lol
No problem. May I be dense in return? :tongue_smilie:

My DH saved them to one of those "stick things." Thumb drives? He told me to take it in and give it to them and they would know what to do. :D Thankfully, he was right. It was so quick and painless. And I didn't even appear too clueless. I think it took all of 10 minutes. (I was there on New Year's Eve day and they were not at all busy.)

Cardstock cover was $1 cheaper than plastic, so I opted for cardstock. When she brought it back, she said she upgraded to plastic for me for free, since it was my first time having anything printed with them. In the future, I would go with the plastic. It just looks so nice.

I always thought that their binding was that cheap plastic stuff that church cookbooks have... I was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

Prior to this, I had never thought about binding. But - now - I think I will try to get DS's stuff spiral bound. Just looks so much easier for him to deal with.

I know that ebooks are not a favorite for all, which is why we are going to run our first print this March! They should be available for shipping in April, but you can currently pre-order at our website. The reason we haven't offered our own printed books to date is because it costs alot to get books printed, think thousands upfront to get ISBN's, get books printed initially and to get them from the print house to my house. It's a risk, if they don't sell, your out the money, hence why ebooks and Lulu are so appealing in the beginning when your just getting started :). Does that make sense? Never the less, I am super excited to see piles of my books in my living room heading out the door to you all!

Oh, I know, Paige....it wasn't a comment on your curriculum directly, but just the fact that Ebooks are the big push these days. I "get" why it's done, but nonetheless, I don't like it :lol:.

I guess I am old-fashioned that way...I want hard-cover, nice thick paper, to hold and feel....and I realize that comes with a price tag ;).

Thanks for the updates on your curriculum...I am probably heading to Lulu tonight to purchase the Chemistry.

I am purchasing this for my DS11, 6th grade. I realize it might be a bit on the easy side for him, but I did want his first intro to Chemistry to be "easy" and fun. Hoping I am making the right choice!

thanks!

K

Oh, I know, Paige....it wasn't a comment on your curriculum directly, but just the fact that Ebooks are the big push these days. I "get" why it's done, but nonetheless, I don't like it :lol:.

I guess I am old-fashioned that way...I want hard-cover, nice thick paper, to hold and feel....and I realize that comes with a price tag ;).

Thanks for the updates on your curriculum...I am probably heading to Lulu tonight to purchase the Chemistry.

I am purchasing this for my DS11, 6th grade. I realize it might be a bit on the easy side for him, but I did want his first intro to Chemistry to be "easy" and fun. Hoping I am making the right choice!

thanks!

K

No worries, I didn't take it as a comment on my curriculum directly, just trying to explain the mindset of those of us who only offer ebooks :). I'll admit that I can't stand reading ebooks on the computer. There's something about holding a book in your hand, hence the reason I purchased a laser printer.

Chem will be easy for a 6th grader, but it will be a good easy introduction. Hope you all enjoy it!

I don't particularly like ebooks either, however I did just purchase Elements and WWE3 in ebook. I am printing out the teacher part because I need that... but I'm actually finding it really nice to have an electronic version to print out sheets for all my kiddos when I want to. I print 4 weeks at a time because I organize our work by the month. I can leave everything else on the computer until I'm ready for it. I take apart all the workbooks we get anyway because I store their work in file folders by month for each child. Anyway... there are benefits to the ebooks... but I would have to say I need the teacher portion printed out for me!

Paige - which laser printer did you buy?

Capt_Uhura

I bought mine in Thailand, so I'm not sure if they have it in the States, but they should. It's a Samsung ML-1640. It was the most affordable one I could find with a good reputation. I'm extremely pleased, the only bad thing is that it doesn't print color so I have to use my inkjet for that. So far, I've gone through a pack of paper and then some and I haven't had to replace or refill the cartridge. I was refilling every month or so and after using less than a pack of paper with my inkjet (I tend to print alot!). It's the best purchase I've made in awhile, but then again I print alot of pages (at least 100/month).

I solved the issue with a Brother B&W Laser Printer - its a 5250DN that we got at Staples a few years ago. I love it. When you get the off-brand toner on Amazon with the WalMart paper its cheap. It does double-sided printing, so that's half the paper and I can often print 2 per side (4 per sheet). Black and white isn't a downside - I print everything but color-coded sheets in B&W and it looks nice. I use my inkjet maybe once a month (or less).

Now I just need some type of binding machine so I can print longer books. Currently I use the 3-pronged folders, and they are limited!

I like the resources available online, but I still prefer reading from a book I can hold.