Menu

Anyone have New Years rituals (besides resolutions)? We make donuts.

We used to play Monopoly. It was the only night of the year that I let my boys talk me into playing.

These days we have too many other GREAT games that they want to play and I'm off the hook for Monopoly. :D

The tradition of an appetizer-style dinner and a night of board games still stands, though.

We used to bang pots and pans outside and holler like crazy to welcome in the New Year, but haven't done it in a few years (dh is waayy to conservative for that kind of fun). We always did it when the kids were little. They LOVED it!

Dh always, and I mean always, makes a pot full of sauerkraut and pork. As a matter of fact, it's cooking right now in the crock-pot. Both sides of our family had this tradition....my mom always said that eating sauerkraut and pork meant you would have a prosperous year.

Personally, I think it's a good way to clean all the holiday junk food out of your system, if you know what I mean. :D

O.K. So I was downstairs watching DS11 break world records on Wii Fit Plus. But I heard a LOT of commotion from the kitchen. It was clear that MomsintheGarden was in a FOUL mood. This made me quite curious, since I am normally the only one that can set her off quite this much! I had to investigate! ;)

So I walk upstairs and discovered that she was making donuts. Clearly the dough was not cooperating! :tongue_smilie: We've only made donuts one other time, and that was using a different recipe with yeast. This was a "quick" recipe with no yeast.

In any case, I agreed to do the frying and in the end all was a success!

Anyway, thanks, Rose, for this new tradition in the Guheert household! :glare: :D

Anyway, thanks, Rose, for this new tradition in the Guheert household! :glare: :D

You're welcome. You know you'll never be able to let go of this tradition now. My kids remind me for weeks leading up to the event. It's kind of cute that such a relatively simple and inexpensive tradition is so well loved by my kiddies.

Enjoy!

This is the recipe I used: http://www.divinerecipes.com/recipe.cfm/recipeid/3427

Edited by Rose in BC

O.K. So I was downstairs watching DS11 break world records on Wii Fit Plus. But I heard a LOT of commotion from the kitchen. It was clear that MomsintheGarden was in a FOUL mood. This made me quite curious, since I am normally the only one that can set her off quite this much! I had to investigate! ;)

So I walk upstairs and discovered that she was making donuts. Clearly the dough was not cooperating! :tongue_smilie: We've only made donuts one other time, and that was using a different recipe with yeast. This was a "quick" recipe with no yeast.

Thanks for helping, dear. I was about to throw the dough away, but you brought sanity back to the kitchen!

I am not sure I want this as a new tradition. Perhaps it would be safer to go back to making Hoppin' John.

GardenMom

At midnight, we crack open a coconut and share the flesh. Then I take the envelope of "hopes" for the year past out of the back of my Bible and hand them out. (Individuals may share or not as they wish.) Then we write new hopes for the coming year, and I keep them in a sealed envelope in the back of my Bible. We each then write a regret from the past year on a piece of paper. Regrets are not shared; each person folds their paper and places it into a bowl (each person has their own bowl). We then burn the papers and flip the bowls upside down. Then dh reads Psalm 130. By morning, the bowls have been washed and the ashes removed and replaced with candy to remind us of the complete removal of our sins and the sweet gift of redemption at the final jubilee.

This year, we also added a long game of Settlers of Catan to our tradition.

At midnight, we crack open a coconut and share the flesh. Then I take the envelope of "hopes" for the year past out of the back of my Bible and hand them out. (Individuals may share or not as they wish.) Then we write new hopes for the coming year, and I keep them in a sealed envelope in the back of my Bible. We each then write a regret from the past year on a piece of paper. Regrets are not shared; each person folds their paper and places it into a bowl (each person has their own bowl). We then burn the papers and flip the bowls upside down. Then dh reads Psalm 130. By morning, the bowls have been washed and the ashes removed and replaced with candy to remind us of the complete removal of our sins and the sweet gift of redemption at the final jubilee.

This year, we also added a long game of Settlers of Catan to our tradition.

Wow... I'd be scared that somehow one of us would start a fire.... that would be "Next Year's Regret" :tongue_smilie:

Good Idea... though:-)

Carrie