Menu

DS had an eye exam about 6 months ago. Do I have to get glasses from that office?

lynn

I have gotten an exam and then just asked for the prescription and said I was going elsewhere. They understood. The cheapest child's frame there was $140!

I also called a place where I had an exam earlier in the year and asked to come by and pick up the prescription and it was fine. I think they are used to that request.

BTW, in the first case I took my prescription across the street to Wal-Mart and got the glasses (frames and lenses) for $38.

Marie

Will they give me the RX to go elsewhere? They are so over priced and I want to go someplace like eyeglass express and pay less than $200.

The prescription ought to be "good" for a year, but with growth spurts, some kids' vision may change enough in that time that the prescription might not be ideal any longer. I'd ask about being able to replace the lenses if a new Rx is needed before new frames.

Check out www.glassyeyes.com

They have reviews of the online purchase stores. You just enter in your RX into the website and purchase. You can even upload photos of yourself and see how the glasses would look on you.

I got two pair from www.goggles4u.com this past month. One is a rimless metal with scratch resistance and antiglare, UV resistance. The other has scratch resistance, antiglare, and transitions into sunglasses when I go outside. 100 total for BOTH pairs. That's 50 dollars per pair. I had a 10% off coupon code from glassyeyes.com though... Oh, and the selection is not what you would find in a Lenscrafters, KWIM? They have a good selection, but it's not designer or anything.

So, mine shipped from California and seem to be a US company. Glassyeyes will tell you what's U.S. based, made in the U.S. and not U.S. in case you are wondering about those types of things. I think glassyeyes said goggles4u is U.S. based but not necessarily made in the U.S. There are others that are U.S. based, U.S. made, etc.

Anyway, I had a great experience with goggles4U and will definitely return for more next time. I haven't had glasses in 5 years b/c we couldn't afford them, but this year we had money left in our flexsavings so I now have glasses to switch out with my contacts when my eyes get dried out from the contacts!

One thing I will mention is that one of my kids has a really strong prescription--very far sighted with astigmatism--and it's really been to his benefit to stick to the prescribing doctor's optical store. They really work with us to find frames and lens options that will allow for the thinnest possible lenses. They also had options like better coatings that less costly places didn't offer and when you're forking out big bucks for glasses (we get two pair) it's important to know they won't be scratched up in a few months.

We take other family member's prescriptions elsewhere as needed, but with this more complex prescription we found the other places just didn't have the products or expertise to make sure my kiddo with the more complicated prescription wasn't wearing coke bottle glasses.

Depending on which son it was, I'd think about getting a new eye exam. My dd9's glasses can easily change every 4-6 months--she's "pubing out" just a little, and I think the growth is making her eyes change.

I'm pretty sure there's actually a law that says they can't withhold a prescription from you. May be a state law--

Guest joan79

They do indeed have to give you the prescription, but they don't always include the pupil distance which you need to order online. You can measure that yourself with not too much effort though.

If you want to go the cheapest route and don't mind waiting a few weeks, I'd suggest you give zennioptical.com a try. There is a nice review of Zenni optical here - and people generally say the quality is amazing for that price. They have kids frames that start as cheaply as $8 and you just enter in the prescription information. You'd want to make sure you know the right size frames to order though and the right pupil distance. The frame size you should be able to get from the current frames looking on the arms for the three numbers.

If you don't mind spending more money but still pretty cheap, you can go to Costco and get kids frames for around $50 and new lenses for around $60. There is a good review of the Costco kids glasses here. I think Costco's quality will be top notch and you can have your kid try on the glasses, and they can make sure they fit, etc, if you are nervous ordering online. You can probably also check out Walmart if you aren't a Costco member.