Menu

Vaccines. What is a good information book regarding this topic...

No flames and not wanting to start a heated debate, just guidance to information. I want a book or reputable online resource that has both sides of the argument. Being pregnant 7 years later, my thoughts and concerns have changed and I would like to find out more. I'm not completely on either side of the argument, but in the middle. I see the importance of vaccines, but not so many at one time and so often. I would like to find a "safe" schedule for vaccines, if one exists. I just can't imagine now putting all that stuff into such a little body. I did it with my first two, but now wish I would have spread it out more. Also, is there an online database or something that lists doctors/peds. who are more open in this area rather than just the way it's always been? Thanks.

The Vaccine Book by Dr Sears -- pretty much tells you everything there is to know about the vaccines and lets you make your own choices. He has some opinions, but . . . it's fairly balance, IMO. (Before I read it, I was considering selective vaccines for my 2nd child. After I read it, I decided to do all the vaccines, but on a slight delay, just so you know where I'm coming from.)

Thanks. I will check it out at the library.

I recently heard also that a child's immune system isn't developed until 18 months and that a delay in vaccines until after that is a good idea. My concern, though, is all the illnesses he will be exposed to until that time. I know the stories I've heard from my grandmother about measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc. in her children and I don't want my child to go through that. But, I also don't want 4-6 vaccines with chemicals floating in their system when they are so tiny.

I'm not an doctor, and I don't play one on TV. But here's my 2 cents. Exposure to viruses and bacteria are part of what build our immune systems. There is some new research out suggesting that super clean environments may actually weaken immune response. Obviously, this isn't directly related to vaccines, but it illustrates a point - exposure is needed to teach the immune system. Vaccines are designed to expose the body to a virus in a safer way than natural infection. So vaccines can help build the immune system.

If you delay until 18 months, there are several vaccines you will not need to get - for things that most children will be exposed to early (the book talks about what, my memory isn't that good.

I think you will like the schedule Dr Sears presents - it offers protection against the diseases your child is most likely to be exposed to early enough to do good, but spreads out the shots to reduce the amount of chemicals in the body at once. There are two main problems with his schedule from my perspective. 1) It requires your doc to be willing to step outside the norms - and may mean they have to order certain vaccines because they are different from what the office normally uses (various manufacturers make versions of vaccines with different formulations - some of which Dr Sears prefers). 2) Your child will get a lot more shots, since you won't be using the combo vaccines. This may mean you pay a lot more copays too. And you'll be seeing the nurse a lot between regular checkups.

One thing you should be aware of is that the individual shots for measles, mumps, & rubella are no longer available. I'm in a bit of a quandary about my youngest. I don't want to get the combo MMR shot due to the possible link with autism. But then again I don't feel comfortable with leaving her unvax against those diseases. I just want to get the shots 1 at a time, spaced out. I had no problem doing this with my older kids, why can't I this time around? :rant:

One thing you should be aware of is that the individual shots for measles, mumps, & rubella are no longer available. I'm in a bit of a quandary about my youngest. I don't want to get the combo MMR shot due to the possible link with autism. But then again I don't feel comfortable with leaving her unvax against those diseases. I just want to get the shots 1 at a time, spaced out. I had no problem doing this with my older kids, why can't I this time around? :rant:

Mr dr. told me this recently, too. The source of the vaccine does not seperate it so she can't do anything about that vaccine.

Since when?

Attenuvax is the Measles vaccine.

Meruvax II is the Rubella vaccine.

The problem is the mumps vaccine; eg, they aren't making it singularly because they can't keep up with it: Recent research is calling into question whether the existing vaccine is "keeping up" with the mutation of the mumps virus, and therefore rendering the vaccine ineffective.

In our house, Polio was never up for discussion, and was, in fact, the only vax DS had prior to 1 year.

My son got Rubella after having 2 of his MMRs. You know why? He got Rubella (German measles) in Germany. Different strain. When he was due for his 3rd MMR, I only let him get measles.

I got Chicken Pox (from DS) in Belgium. I had it as a child in the United States. Different strain.

All of DSs vax were spaced out. DS was OBVIOUSLY aspie prior to his vax (his polio was oral drops at 3 mo., and he was a flipped out baby already).

My best friend had all of her vax 3 times (ignorant mom, 1960s, just kept letting nurses do it). Is as un-autistic as a person can be.

My 2 cents.

a

This is the book we read: How to Raise A Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor -- written by a pediatrician.

This is the book I read and is pretty much my philosophy on health but I would not say it is a balanced book. It is pretty radical, anti-medical establishment. The book by Dr. Sears provides a more balanced and conservative view.