Menu

Anybody go from LfC to Latin Prep

christine in al

Well if you want a little bandwagon effect, you can join me, hehe... :)

I don't know about how the transition will be. I don't think you'll toss your american chant orders, at least we aren't. In other threads people have said they just chant the american order. Interestingly, the british order for the latin chants is the order I learned all my russian chants. Doing the latin ones in the order we have has never sat happily with me, so maybe we should change, hehe! I doubt it, not with as well as dd has them memorized.

Have you looked at the tables of contents for each of the Latin Prep levels? I figured a bit of review would be good for us, as we've been off a while, so we're just starting with Latin Prep 1, plain and simple. We'll see what happens. I don't mind doing review stuff quickly and moving on. It's approaching the same stuff a different way, and that fresh viewpoint and application might be challenging to your students.

Is LfC a workable transistion to Latin Prep? From American to UK noun case order. ( I , uhm don't actually know that that means,) will it be screwy to do a year or two of Latin for Children, then transition to Latin Prep?

Are they compatable?

We did two years of LFC and then move onto LP (2 years). It was no problem at all - we did change the order of the chants to match what we were used to. LFC is so strictly grammar-based that the instant reading/translation work of LP was refreshing.

By the way, after 2 years of LP we are now using Latin for the New Millennium which combines both approaches. Or maybe it combines the LFC and Ecce Romani methods. It's a breath of fresh air which is really working well for us - my dd has rediscovered her love of Latin. Now it's back to being one of the subjects she most looks forward to!

Diane

Do you think you would have gotten the same effect if you had continued into LP3 but added something like Lingua Latina alongside? Or was it that you really need a break from LP? (I understand curriculum fatigue, hehe.) I just ask, because I've noticed people doing reading programs like Cambridge or LL alongside LP. I wondered if you had considered that and whether it might have prevented the unpleasantry of the imbalance you experienced.

Do you think you would have gotten the same effect if you had continued into LP3 but added something like Lingua Latina alongside? Or was it that you really need a break from LP? (I understand curriculum fatigue, hehe.) I just ask, because I've noticed people doing reading programs like Cambridge or LL alongside LP. I wondered if you had considered that and whether it might have prevented the unpleasantry of the imbalance you experienced.

That was exactly what I intended to do, but my dd was tired of LP and getting a bad attitude towards Latin. She used to really love the subject, and I wanted to do something that would get her intellectual juices flowing (LP does that) while at the same time bring back her former passion. LNM has accomplished all of it; however, if if I had a kid who liked LP but just needed more reading, it would be simpler to add in Cambridge or the like.

Diane

Is LfC a workable transistion to Latin Prep? From American to UK noun case order. ( I , uhm don't actually know that that means,) will it be screwy to do a year or two of Latin for Children, then transition to Latin Prep?

Are they compatable?

So Christine,

Do you like LFC? Why are you switching?

I'm not leaving LfC, I"m trying to GET to Latin Prep. We've been doing Latin together SSL, and Minimus, now ds will be 10 next year and ready I think for LP, but dd, won't be, so I'm thinking of a bridge curriculum for 3rd grade. LfC looks really good, really good. I am trying to decide beteen Minimus Secundus for her or LfC and then on to LP.

True confessions here: In my working-class snobbery I tend to think of a good British education as ( get your received pronounciation ready....) "Superior" to a good American one. I think mostly , this is because I met a young man, when I was a young, impressionable woman who was educated in England. ( y'all he had black hair and blue eyes and the most wonderful accent ... ANY HOO..)

He knew Latin and Greek and History ,,, He was planning to name his first child Xenophon. I was , hmm how do you say,,, most impressed,

So, I would love my kids to have an Eton education... or what I , in my total ignorance think of as an Eton education. Sort of like the thread of really educated people form the 1700's.

I also admire Laura ( formerly from China )'s curriculum.

So, I recon I'm trying to give my kids a really good British education.

All that to say, you may not want to be basing your children's curriculum choices on my interest in Latin Prep. :lol:

And I do want to pick one and try to stay with it, If we are going to a UK order, I might should switch them in LfC.,, or just go with Minimus Secundus.

All these posts have been very helpful, The detail y'all have given gives me lot to work with.

I'm not leaving LfC, I"m trying to GET to Latin Prep. We've been doing Latin together SSL, and Minimus, now ds will be 10 next year and ready I think for LP, but dd, won't be, so I'm thinking of a bridge curriculum for 3rd grade. LfC looks really good, really good. I am trying to decide beteen Minimus Secundus for her or LfC and then on to LP.

True confessions here: In my working-class snobbery I tend to think of a good British education as ( get your received pronounciation ready....) "Superior" to a good American one. I think mostly , this is because I met a young man, when I was a young, impressionable woman who was educated in England. ( y'all he had black hair and blue eyes and the most wonderful accent ... ANY HOO..)

He knew Latin and Greek and History ,,, He was planning to name his first child Xenophon. I was , hmm how do you say,,, most impressed,

So, I would love my kids to have an Eton education... or what I , in my total ignorance think of as an Eton education. Sort of like the thread of really educated people form the 1700's.

All that to say, you may not want to be basing your children's curriculum choices on my interest in Latin Prep. :lol:

And I do want to pick one and try to stay with it, If we are going to a UK order, I might should switch them in LfC.,, or just go with Minimus Secundus.

Oh, I see, thanks for your detailed explanation. Hmm, yes, your friend sounds like quite the guy. LOL.

Best wishes in your endeavors!

:)

If you really want an Eton-style education then Latin Prep is probably the way to go. It is used in prep schools (hence the title) which prepare children to enter the big 'public' (i.e. posh private) schools, including Eton. Eton doesn't start until age 13, so Latin Prep takes you up to the level of the public school entrance exams.

Best wishes

Laura

With pretty-near-perfect, although non-English husband. ;-)

I did decide to go wtih Latin Prep. But LfC looks great too.

If LP is tough, we'll just take it slowly.

Like the Indigo Girls said long ago, " the sweetest part is acting after a making a decision." Thanks for all y'all's feed back and support as I wallowed in this decision. Isn't it wonderful that there are so many curricula out there?

~c in al

With pretty-near-perfect, although non-English husband. ;-)

How did I end up marrying a Texan? It's a mystery, but he's wonderful. He's delighted that his boys learn Latin and can read music - he didn't do either, despite going to a good private school.

I'm glad that you were able to decide.

Laura