Menu

First Grade

TXMary2

My 6yo is officially a Ker, but working at 1st grade level... this is what he does:

Phonics/Grammar: Phonics Pathways/no grammar but will use FLL next year (if I owned it I would use it with him now)

Reading (a program or literature?) library books

Science Elemental Science (biology this year)

History MOH with narration and timeline work. We just finger point for map work

Math MUS Alpha

Not even close to grade one yet, but my plans at present are:

Phonics/Grammar - OPGTTR and FLL

Reading (a program or literature?) - Bob books, perhaps Brian P. Cleary's beginners readers and whatever is in the library; plus the recommended reading from WTM, science and history.

Health- Real life stuff

Science- BFSU and whatever supplements I turn up

History- SOTW and Activity guide, plus we're in the SCA and Daddy has a Roman persona

Maths- Math on the Level, supplemented with MEP

:)

Rosie

Phonics/Grammar - Spell to Write & Read for phonics. I don't start grammar until 3rd.

Reading (a program or literature?) - She's currently working through (2nd time around to increase fluency) a 40-book series called "SUPER" that we ended up with from my SIL who is a teacher. She's still "learning to read." Figure we'll just work through some Dr. Suess after that.

Health - No curriculum.

Science - God's Design for Chemistry although it is WAAAAY above what she can understand. She's doing as well as my oldest who is also lost. ;-) They love the experiments, though.

History - SOTW 2 with AG & lots of supplemental read alouds

Math - A Beka 1

Phonics/Grammar - The Reading Lesson (no grammar at this point)

Reading (a program or literature?) - HOD's LHFHG

Health - Not doing this year.

Science - Our Father's World (CLP)

History - LHFHG

Math- Singapore Primary 1A/1B

Edited by MamaHappy

Please tell me what your 1st grader uses for:

Phonics/Grammar

Reading (a program or literature?)

Health

Science

History

Math

Phonics: finished Explode the Code through Book 6, then retired phonics. (Used 100EZL and Pathway Readers until she'd finished them, but that was last year. . . thought I'd mention it since they are more typical for 1st grade level.)

Grammar: none yet. I'll start her in 3rd grade.

Reading: Sonlight 2-Intermediate readers

Health: mmm, I make sure she washes and brushes her teeth. ;)

Science: Mostly neglecting that in any formal way. We do read the Let's Read and Find Out books (level 2) regularly. Love those. I also plan to pull out some Science in a Nutshell kits anydaynow. I also want to do Nebel's Building Understanding blahblahblah but haven't gotten it in gear. Would do More Mudpies and Magnets if only I could find it in my book boxes.

History: SonLight Core 1

Math: Miquon, Singapore, and drill materials using Wrap-Its, triangle flashcards, and Peggy Kaye's Games for Math book.

HTH.

Dd5 is a K student but is doing 1st grade level work.

Language Arts:

--Writing With Ease

--First Language Lessons

--All About Spelling

--she reads aloud to me for 10 minutes a day from a book at her reading level.

Math:

--Singapore Math Standards Edition 1a, along with the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems supplemental workbooks

History/Geography:

--Classical Conversations - we are following this loosely this year in an informal co-op, only doing memory work, timeline work, and a weekly presentation.

--My Father's World Exploring Countries & Cultures - again, in a co-op and following loosely. This includes read-alouds related to the world cultures and customs, geography-related vocabulary, and some mapwork/activity pages.

--Rand McNally's Beginning Geography and Map Skills workbook - we are working through this this year.

Science:

--My father's world - learning about biomes and ecosystems - co-op.

--Animals of the world notebook we are putting together using various resources, including the Complete Book of Animals workbook, online printouts, animal encyclopedias, etc.

Foreign Language:

--Song School Latin

--Better Chinese - Mandarin

We outsource art and music.

Phonics/Language Arts - A Beka and FLL

Math - A Beka

Science - A Beka, various and sundry experiments and nature walks

History - changing from BJU Heritage Studies 1 to SOTW 1 today

Music - was involved in homeschool choir until my boys got kicked out (ok, a 2 hour long rehearsal singing latin Christmas carols is a little long for 5 & 6 year old boys to manage, so I didn't really get too mad at my boys)

Art - hmm, that's an interesting question to ponder

Bible - Christian Liberty Press