Menu

(Sniff) Just threw away a beautiful pan of sweet potato casserole...

OhM

Guest Virginia Dawn

I call it "Christmas Brain." I put too much baking soda in the sugar cookies, I forgot the sugar in one of my pumpkin pies, and I overcooked our cranberry muffins Christmas morning.

For me it was probably a consequence of too much chocolate combined with too many people in the house. I'm hoping to recover soon. ;-)

I lost a single baked potato, found in the oven the day after....but.....just before Christmas I defrosted a flat of chicken thighs and was not able to find time to make them up. Why I took them out to defrost I'm not sure. :confused:

They got tossed Christmas day to make room for the Christmas food. I'm really kicking myself for that one as the meat was not cheap and I budget pretty close. I choose to believe that it happens to the best of us. Right?

I understand. While we were having Christmas dessert, dh realized that when he carved the turkey he forgot to remove the stuffing. It was really good stuffing this year too. Oh well, we enjoyed it the next day with leftovers. :D

"More for me", huh?

The worst part is when we sat down to eat we had a discussion about "wonder what I forgot to put on the table this year?" And I still didn't think about it!

I made a pumpkin spice cake with Ghiardhelli chocolate chips in it. I bake my own bread which is always 1/2 hour baking time. I didn't note the baking time of 45 minutes on the recipe and flipped out my pumpkin spice cake after 1/2 hour. When I flipped it onto the wire rack it flopped all over the kitchen counter. Only the outside was firm. It was really pumpkin spice soup instead of cake. It was sad to throw away all of those chocolate chips. Muha ha ha.

So what would you do if your FIL THREW AWAY a huge amount of mashed potatoes you had bought, peeled, cooked, and mashed with love? He was clearing all the dishes after the Christmas meal, kept everything he wanted to eat, and just decided since he didn't want potatoes he would just throw them out.

Such a waste. I know he didn't intend to be ugly or anything. I think he's just getting older and more tired, but it was still very frustrating. We would have eaten those potatoes all week. :(

For some reason my poor brain managed not to comprehend exactly how much food five cups of dried beans cooks up to. We actually had to turn our fridge on!

What was in the sweet potato casserole? This is the nice thing about cooking vegan. I used to do stuff like that all the time, now it doesn't matter :)

Rosie

For some reason my poor brain managed not to comprehend exactly how much food five cups of dried beans cooks up to. We actually had to turn our fridge on!

What was in the sweet potato casserole? This is the nice thing about cooking vegan. I used to do stuff like that all the time, now it doesn't matter :)

Rosie

I debated whether it would be ok - it had cream and butter in it - maple syrup for sweetening, flour and nuts in the crumb topping. (oh, it's making me sad and hungry all over again!) But I'm a funny kind of squeamish about bad food. I don't get all bent out of shape regarding modern recommendations for refrigeration (since I remember the days of the turkey sitting on the 50 degree porch at grandma's for 6-10 hours and still eating it :D) but once I get into my brain that the food might be suspect, it's gone. I just can't get over it in my mind.

So would you have chanced it? I probably should have posted a "would you eat it" thread before I trashed it!

I debated whether it would be ok - it had cream and butter in it - maple syrup for sweetening, flour and nuts in the crumb topping. (oh, it's making me sad and hungry all over again!) But I'm a funny kind of squeamish about bad food. I don't get all bent out of shape regarding modern recommendations for refrigeration (since I remember the days of the turkey sitting on the 50 degree porch at grandma's for 6-10 hours and still eating it :D) but once I get into my brain that the food might be suspect, it's gone. I just can't get over it in my mind.

So would you have chanced it? I probably should have posted a "would you eat it" thread before I trashed it!

If it had eggs, I might have thought twice...but I would have eaten it anyways.

Meat left out is what make me squeamish.

On Christmas Eve, I was going to make Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip with chicken I had from the freezer. These were individual vacuum sealed bags of chicken br3@sts that I threw in the freezer when I bought them. I cut the bags open and they smelled terrible.

:confused::001_huh::svengo::ack2:

I ran to the grocery store quickly & got fresh chicken but I wonder how that chicken got "bad?"

my mother usually forgets one dish every year!!! And she usually forgets one of the boys' gifts each year, too! In fact, I told her this year that she didn't forget a thing and then we were playing Scrabble and she spelled quiz and I remembered she bought gift cards from Quiznos for boys and forgot to give them!! That's how my mind works!

I put lemon bars in the oven on Christmas eve, after the timer went off they looked like they needed an extra couple minutes. So, what did I do?! I went to the store to pick up the ham I pre-ordered. Instead of an extra couple minutes they got an extra 45!! :(