Menu

HELP! Need JAZZ music selections for 10yr old...

Something like this?

http://www.last.fm/music/Various+Artists/The+Instrumental+History+of+Jazz+%28disc+1%29

I would go historically. Start with the roots and work up. Jazz lost me when it left the rural South.....

KUOW streams live and on Sat night 7-midnight, they do a show called "The Swing Years and Beyond" which is popular music from 1929 to the mid 50s. As well as big band, they do some jazz. Certainly a broad range for your kiddo to sample.

http://www.kuow.org/index.php

Edited by kalanamak

Ds (musician) says:

Instrumental: Duke Ellington (also good for vocals), Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Parker, Keith Jarrett

Vocals: Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald (I have always like Louis Jordan--some of his songs are very humorous, though some are a little off-color for a 10 year old)

Harry Connick Jr. is a good choice for modern vocal jazz. Nora Jones is another to check out, but some of the lyrics on some of her songs might be a bit adult for a 10 yr. old.

Some standards to look for (most of these are classic big band tunes--i.e. Glen Miller, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, etc.):

In the Mood

Take the 'A' Train

String of Pearls

Opus 1

As Time Goes By

Pennsylvania 6-5000

It Don't Mean a Thing (if It Ain't Got That Swing)

Blue Sky