Menu

Recipes - Do you keep them online and if yes, where?

I only keep the ones I like from www.allrecipes.com on their website. You can keep a little "My Recipe Box" on there. The rest, I print out and tape onto computer paper which is inserted into page protectors which go into 3-ring binders.

I can find almost anything on allrecipes.

The items I make all of the time -- muffins, pancakes, bread, sauce, etc. are cut neatly and taped to the inside of my cabinets. Desserts on one, breads and breakfast on another, and sauces/soup on another.

I just updated my recipe binder. I keep them in MSword in individual files (sweets, breads, misc. salads, main dishes) and have a back up on a thumbdrive. I actually just updated it the past few days, adding newer recipes that I use a lot. I then reprinted them and put them in new pages protectors and a new binder, since my old one was falling apart. I learned after losing them on the computer a few years ago, to keep them backed up. I will even e-mail the files to myself on yahoo and keep them there that away if we ever had a fire or anything, I would have them. I bake and cook a lot, so my recipes are important to me.

We travel to places without internet access...how would I cook if all my recipes were stored online?

I keep mine in a Word file like the pp. I back up on a disc every so often. The best thing is this makes recipes easy to share. I can print it out for a friend or attach to an email or post in a thread.

I think I will make a hard copy by printing them out and putting them in a binder. If I get really ambitious, I can print several copies along with stories about the recipes and have them bound at a copy shop as gifts for my sons.

I like having a hard copy to cook from.

Putting them online is wonderful, so convenient and easy to find, access from anywhere, etc.....but please don't forget to keep a REAL copy. Many a website has come and gone and a couple years ago a storage site went under overnight and people lost all their family photos and other important documents (and a friend lost generations of recipes in her "simplify my clutter" when the site went under with her only copies).

I have mine on a backpage of our personal website, so I can access and share them from anywhere....but I have a copy of our entire website on several DVDs....one here at home, one at DH's office and one clear across the country. Growing up in hurricane country you quickly learn to have important documents far far from home because in the blink of an eye your entire town, including the bank safe deposit boxes, can be leveled. Pick specific dates each year to update it that way the worst that can happen is you lose the photos/recipes/etc since the last update. We're lucky that we have a family birthday every third month, so after we do the birthday photos, etc, I burn another DVD with the previous stuff and everything through that person's birthday. I send a copy to Grandma across country so she can see the birthday and the previous two months activities. When a DVD gets full I write PERMANENT on it, and Grandma knows she can throw away any old ones that don't say Permanent. We also have scanned copies of important papers on one of these DVDs.

Thanks for all your ideas!! I like putting them in Word so I can have them more uniform. Maybe I will go with that or try Recipe Thing. I need to seriously get mine back in working order for the new year. My dh told my ds he was going to hide my presents in the stove, if that gives you any idea of how much we have been eating out.

For 2010 I am determined to get organized and have a game plan for the week!!

Having my recipes online has saved me more than once when we've moved, or when we've lived overseas. I have them in other places too, but my favorite place to keep them is on a family recipe blog I have with my sisters and mother. We all upload recipes there, and it's easy to search for the one I need, or to find something new that I know is tried and true.