Menu

Hand mixer recommendation, please.

I do a lot of baking at Christmas. Every year I break my hand mixer. I've burned out motors, I've stripped gears, and this year I broke one of the plastic parts that holds the second beater in. I've had a Sunbeam break on me, and the one I just broke was a Hamilton Beach. I'm not doing anything crazy with them either--just mixing cookie doughs. It seems they are made at least partly with stinky plastic parts that crack or strip easily.

Are the Cuisinaire or Kitchen Aid hand mixers worth the money? I do not want a stand mixer (so please don't tell me to buy a stand mixer--I actually gave away a Kitchen Aid mixer that just needed a new bowl), but I'm really, really, really tired of having to buy a new mixer every Christmas.\

Please, someone, recommend a well made hand mixer to me.

I have a KA 5 speed that I really like. I don't use it a ton because I use my (typing this in a whisper) KA stand mixer :). I don't have personal experience with this, but I have heard that some of the 5 speeds have had motor burnout problems...I can only imagine what someone was trying to mix, though! I know the 7 speeders are VERY powerful, but you might as well be buying a stand mixer at that point.

Today's hand mixers are best for light batters and such. Any type of dough will cause problems as they are just not strong enough.

If you still desire a hand mixer, I suggest reading TONS of reviews and purchasing a model with a great warranty.

When I first started decorating cakes my average mixer lasted 1 year (or less). I was spending $50-99 on each mixer... I finally splurged and spend $150 on a Kitchen Aid stand mixer--it is STILL going after 17+ years. I needed the stability/strenght of the stand mixer because my icing mixtures were tough on the motors of the hand mixers.

For what it is worth I tend to mix ALL of my cookie dough by hand....always have--just like grandma.

Hand mixers do not handle doughs well at all.

Even a lower end Kitchenaid stand mixer will outlast the higher end hand mixers. I have the classic and paid about $175 for it ten years back. The only time it even seems to heat up is when I'm whipping icing for 7 or 8 minutes. Even then it doesn't actually get hot.

ETA: "Cuisenaire" :laugh: Thanks for the giggle. That's something I've seen here a lot. Baking does involve math, so I can see why. :D

Edited by darlasowders

I have a KA 5 speed that I really like. I don't use it a ton because I use my (typing this in a whisper) KA stand mixer :). I don't have personal experience with this, but I have heard that some of the 5 speeds have had motor burnout problems...I can only imagine what someone was trying to mix, though! I know the 7 speeders are VERY powerful, but you might as well be buying a stand mixer at that point.

:iagree: I have the 7 speed hand mixer and it is powerful!

Hand mixers do not handle doughs well at all.

Even a lower end Kitchenaid stand mixer will outlast the higher end hand mixers. I have the classic and paid about $175 for it ten years back. The only time it even seems to heat up is when I'm whipping icing for 7 or 8 minutes. Even then it doesn't actually get hot.

ETA: "Cuisenaire" :laugh: Thanks for the giggle. That's something I've seen here a lot. Baking does involve math, so I can see why. :D

:lol: I thought something didn't seem right. Make that Cuisinart :lol:.

And tell me this: If hand mixers aren't made for mixing doughs, why do they put pictures of people mixing cookie dough on their advertisements????

:lol::lol::lol:Same reason beer commercials have girls hanging on guys, it's part of the dream...baby.

And tell me this: If hand mixers aren't made for mixing doughs, why do they put pictures of people mixing cookie dough on their advertisements????

:iagree: I have the 7 speed hand mixer and it is powerful!

How long have you two had your KA hand mixers? Do you mix cookie doughs with them? Have you used it a lot?

:lol::lol::lol:Same reason beer commercials have girls hanging on guys, it's part of the dream...baby.

:lol::lol::lol:

I've seen cookie recipes where the directions say to mix the wet ingredients with a mixer and even about half the flour, but then it says to mix the remaining flour by hand. The only cookie dough I've been able to mix well with my hand mixer is the toll house recipe--prior to adding the chocolate chips. Even then I have to mix on high for just a little bit as the mixer warms up a bit too much. I have a Black and Decker that was given as a wedding gift over 22 years ago. Don't know if they still make these but the motor still works great!

Cinder

They are optimistic? I really don't know, but I've never owned one that didn't just about come to a stop with anything thicker than banana bread.

I think what you need is a 15 yo Kitchenaid hand mixer like Colleen's. I am finding it more and more difficult to get ANY small kitchen appliance that is designed to be actually USED. Frustrating. (Don't even get me started on the impossibility of finding a good toaster. :glare:)

If you go here and look at the one star reviews, one user's mixer actually blew up! :001_huh:

It really bums me out too because sometimes you just want to do a little batch of something (or several little batches like different colors of cookie dough etc). I'd also really love one as I do have a KA stand mixer and food processor and the handmixer would be great for those in between jobs. Especially a red one. :D. I have personally had good luck with my KA appliances and may take a chance on one yet...

I love my KA handmixer. I've had it for maybe 7 years or so, now, after having other ones break every six months to a year. It has regular beaters (the thin wired ones) and dough beaters. Theoretically, the dough beaters are for cookie doughs and bread dough, but I mix bread by hand, and cookie dough with the wire beaters - but I can see why I should use the dough beaters for cookies.... If the cookie dough is too dry, the motor strains, so I just add a little water to it. Although I do drool over the KA stand mixers - if any red ones go on sale on Boxing Day, I will consider buying since I got a really good deal on a red 12 c. KA food processor last year...