Menu

We got our first letter of rejection....

From a stretch-school, MIT. Dd had not done enough math or done very well on her standardized math-scores, and yes, she got rejected. Imagine, MY dd getting rejected from something..... The world is a rough place!

This was our strewtch-school so we'll survive. We have heard from three schools (accepted with honors/dean's/president's scholarships) and are still waiting on 6. And then of course we are waiting to get all the financial details in order to actually be able to decide.

Well, we have raised her to be a perfectionist so she is bummed. But it was a stretch. I told her when she called this AM to tell me (she is visiting a girlfriend in VA) that I now was suicidal.... I am assuming she knows my humour!

The next ten days should be interesting!

I think rejections are always a little bit hard.....but it sounds like you both are taking it in stride! :)

Yes, the next ten days should be intereting. We too are waiting eagerly for the mailman -- ds1 has been accepted at four out of six colleges so far, but he has only received the final merit aid/financial aid package from one.....This holding pattern is a wee bit stressful!

I look forward to hearing about your college news and then about where your dd decides to go!

I think I'm off to make some brownies -- they may not be elegant, but chocolate does wonders for stress! Want to come over and have some? :)

From a stretch-school, MIT. Dd had not done enough math or done very well on her standardized math-scores, and yes, she got rejected. Imagine, MY dd getting rejected from something..... The world is a rough place!

This was our strewtch-school so we'll survive. We have heard from three schools (accepted with honors/dean's/president's scholarships) and are still waiting on 6. And then of course we are waiting to get all the financial details in order to actually be able to decide.

Aw, bummer! It's hard to get that rejection. My dd got rejected last year for a school she truly wanted to go to. We had a lot of sadness around here for a couple of weeks. At least with MIT you know you were entering a lottery anyway. Last year a friend's daughter who is a very geeky physics student with all the right stats and highly suited for MIT if anyone is got rejected. Another friend's son got rejected this year for grad school.

Years ago my dh got rejected by MIT for grad school, was accepted to another highly rated university for grad school, and declined the admission to go to a Big Ten University whose name is not Michigan. Guess what? He's not a start-up CEO- not his interest anyway- but he's reached a place in his field where he could get a job just about anywhere he wanted to go.

It sounds like your daughter has 3 acceptances to start. Hoping for more acceptances out of the next 6!

Can't wait to hear about those scholarship offers! I suspect that ultimately your daughter will be pleased, despite this bump in the road.

Jane

they have what, 100 apps for every opening?

From the MIT admissions blog:

"This year, we had 13,396 applicants, an 8% increase over last year. However, we couldn't admit many more students than last year: an increase of 1 student, to 1554. Thus, our admit rate fell nearly a percentage point, from 12.5% to 11.6%. This year's rate, approximately 1 in 9, is a lot lower than when I applied in 1996 (1 in 4) and is even notably lower than it was for this year's MIT seniors (1 in 6)."

I'm not trying to correct Susan, just thought that dd might find it interesting and comforting. Maybe she's seen it already.

Hi Gals,

We got the letter and the email stating their numbers (from MIT). Funny enough, then the letter was not grammatically that impressive so that was a bit of a joy to me at least!!!!

We did indeed apply to 10 schools and only got this done because mother dear is a big nag and hates to be delayed. We sent everything in about a month before the due dates (and a few weeks prior to me giving birth). There were a lot of logistics, but we worked as a team.

The financial part of the application is a whole other deal, however, since that was dh's turf and he is a PROCRASTINATOR.... We got several letters and emails before he finally submitted his w-2 recently. Whatever. We got everything done!

Dd#2 is like me and has to stay on top of things so we'll probably be done with her applications 2 months ahead of time, haha!!

So, today is another day. Let's see if the mailman will bring us any news... I did eat a batch of chocolate cookies yesterday, Gwen, but I am all out today!

I just want to add my congratulations even to applying to MIT! That is a great accomplishment in itself. I certainly hope that when my kids are seniors in high school, they too can feel confident enough in their high school preparation to apply to a school like MIT. Good for you!!!!

Good luck with all the other schools-- and thanks for sharing, Nadia!

Anne/PA

The atmosphere at MIT is magic and I know dd would have been an amazing student there. However, she matured too late in her math-skills and had gotten too low scores on her SAT-scores in math. I requested her to apply there, not wanting her to feel intimidated by anything. She also interviewed with MIT (as with the other Ivy League schools) and that in itself is worth gold, imo. SHe was totally relaxed in her interviews and would make an amazing ambassador!!

But thanks, Anne. It is great to see the kids mature.

• 1 month later...
Guest sebastian

Sorry, I'm joining this post late but I wondered how do you know that it was your daughter's math scores that led to the rejection? My son also applied, was deferred EA, then rejected. His SAT combined was 2150 and math was 740, Math II was 770. I thought MIT wouldn't tell us why the reject because they admit "holistically" and can't pin point a certain thing. Son has 45 hours in community college with 4.0 (classes like Physics II, Calc III and Linear Algebra), lots of volunteering and ec's . This was his only real reach school and only rejection out of 8 aps. He got over it pretty quick, but it had been his dream.

The atmosphere at MIT is magic and I know dd would have been an amazing student there.

That will be the hardest thing for me..... DON'T THEY SEE WHAT THEY'RE MISSING IF THEY REJECT MY DD/DS!!???!!!

When my dh was rejected from a University, my mil went to the admissions office and said just that: "Don't you see what you're missing here? You can't possibly mean that you don't want my son to come here!" :lol:Somehow it worked. They admitted him. He graduated with honors.

But that was a different time, and a different school. I hope your dd bounces right back. Their loss.

:grouphug:, Jackie