Menu

American History in Grammar stage

robsiew

I've read the new WTM and I don't see that she separates out American History. Is it sufficient to cover American History just with in the context of World History? My kids are just grammar level so it's not like we need HS credit or anything. For those of you who do separate AH... how do you fit it into your cycle? We started "late" with my oldest so as it is we're squishing a bit to get our history cycles in.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I've read the new WTM and I don't see that she separates out American History. Is it sufficient to cover American History just with in the context of World History? My kids are just grammar level so it's not like we need HS credit or anything. For those of you who do separate AH... how do you fit it into your cycle? We started "late" with my oldest so as it is we're squishing a bit to get our history cycles in.

I really think this is an individual thing, although I don't technically think you can go wrong. Just be thoughtful about your feelings on the matter and map out a path. I've separated American history out, partly because of my kids' ages and partly because I feel that people should know the history of their own country best.

We're doing two years of American history, followed by 4 years of world history then repeating that. I am very happy with this sequence. I have really found peace with it. I can still meet each kid at the level they're learning (grammar, logic, rhetoric) regardless of historic era. I'm happy to be able to immerse the kids in the basic story of American history in the early years knowing I won't have to fret as much about not getting enough American history in when we do our four year world history rotation. Of course, we'll hit some more American history then, but it will truly be in the framework of world history and I won't feel pressured to zero in on the American perspective. Actually, I feel that studying history this way will make our world history study less skewed by the American point of view, if that makes any sense.

In the end, however, you have to choose a way that feels comfortable to you. You'll get a wide range of answers here though, and they will surely bring up points that will help guide you. :001_smile:

We are going to do a year of American History next year. We covered Ancient history through the Age of Exploration in the last year and a half. Using Kingfisher and Usborne, we're going to hit the highlights of the rest of world history between now and next school year.

My 1st grader loves non-fiction books and textbook type reading versus stories, although his interest in stories is beginning to perk up. I'm planning to use this book as a spine with him. My dd will use BJU 8th grade American History as a spine.

CLP American History

I wanted my 7th grader to have covered all of history in middle school. We really didn't know about classical education until last year, so I figure we can start another cycle when she is in 9th and he is in 3rd.

I hope this helps!

I'm pretty firmly in the Do American History in Context camp, with grammar stage just being an introduction, the bulk of content coming in logic stage, and rhetoric being GB based.

I found that, esp when you hit the 20th century, history is hard to separate out. There's just so much interaction. As the world becomes more "global" (iykwim! lol) it's important to see how countries interact.

I do add a little to our history now, in 4th grade, doing SOTW 3. I do it by adding in more read alouds that pertain to Native Americans, colonial history, and all that. Doing it thru read alouds lets us continue in SOTW but keep a thread running parallel.

I'm on the same boat of feeling like we're missing a lot of Am. Hist. We started on TWTM path late, so my 2nd and 4th graders are doing the Middle Ages together this year. I haven't rushed through any of the history stuff because they LOVE it. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate Am. Hist. into our schedules next year without tacking on ANOTHER thing to do.

If you teach Am Hist, what curricula have you used?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm on the same boat of feeling like we're missing a lot of Am. Hist. We started on TWTM path late, so my 2nd and 4th graders are doing the Middle Ages together this year. I haven't rushed through any of the history stuff because they LOVE it. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate Am. Hist. into our schedules next year without tacking on ANOTHER thing to do.

If you teach Am Hist, what curricula have you used?

I've put together my own, based on all the book lists I've seen and our own personal library and preferences.

With the ages of your two oldest dc, I would highly recommend adding in as many of the old Landmark books as possible to your next two years of history. They are just WONDERFUL!!! In particular, The Lewis and Clark Expedition by Richard Neuberger is a prize. Here is a list of all the titles. I also really love the Signature Biography series from the 50s.

We're doing world history up to the Age of Exploration, and then folding in American history. My kids are in 3rd and 1st now... by the time we hit American history they'll be in 5th and 3rd, so the year after next.

I plan to use either Joy Hakim's Story of US or Betsy Maestro's American story series as a spine and then add in good read-alouds and some crafts, map work, etc. As we progress through Am Hist, I'll keep reading (but ony reading - no mas, crafts, etc.) from SOTW just so they know what else was happening in the world at the time, but our focus will shift.

Edited by momto2Cs
spelling

We're doing world history up to the Age of Exploration, and then folding in American history. My kids are in 3rd and 1st now... by the time we hit American history they'll be in 5th and 3rd, so the year after next.

I plan to use either Joy Hakim's Story of US or Betsy Maestro's American story series as a spine and then add in good read-alouds and some crafts, map work, etc. As we progress through Am Hist, I'll keep reading (but ony reading - no mas, crafts, etc.) from SOTW just so they know what else was happening in the world at the time, but our focus will shift.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I can't see doing separate studies, but focusing extra reading on AH... I will check out those books... thanks!

I'm pretty firmly in the Do American History in Context camp, with grammar stage just being an introduction, the bulk of content coming in logic stage, and rhetoric being GB based.

I found that, esp when you hit the 20th century, history is hard to separate out. There's just so much interaction. As the world becomes more "global" (iykwim! lol) it's important to see how countries interact.

I do add a little to our history now, in 4th grade, doing SOTW 3. I do it by adding in more read alouds that pertain to Native Americans, colonial history, and all that. Doing it thru read alouds lets us continue in SOTW but keep a thread running parallel.

We're doing the middle ages now, so we could work in some extra reading about for example, Columbus and the other explorers at the end of the year. I get so many good ideas here!!