Menu

Any advice on how to treat/prevent swelling during pregnancy?

Swelling is normal, however you should check and see if what your salt content is. In pregnancy our bodies act different than normal and what may normally not cause any swelling can during pregnancy. Also, make sure you are keeping up on your fluids. Dehydration can cause water retention and swelling. Don't wear tight clothing. That only restricts and makes it worse.

If it becomes bothersome or beyond what you feel is normal check with your doctor. It may mean you have something else medically going on.

Good luck. I have 3 months left and am going to go crazy from the swelling. I love salt and have a hard time limiting it when I am pregnant because that is my major craving.

One thing that surprised me during my second pregnancy (that didn't occur during the first) was increased swelling of my hands and fingers, particularly after a night's sleep. It resulted in stiffness and pain for at least part of the mornings. I mentioned it at my next OB appointment, and he said it was quite common. He gave me velcro wrist splints to wear at night, and said that keeping my wrists straightened out while I slept would help. I also wore them when driving any long distance.

Just thought I'd mention it, since I wasn't sure it was pregnancy related when it first happened, but there was an easy solution.

Erica in OR

I did not swell at all during my last pregnancy. I don't know whether it was because I used my elliptical trainer 3x a week until delivery or because I went off sugar at 36 weeks or so. I felt so much better going without sugar, even though it wasn't the most fun thing to do.

I just had my little girl in October & I had also had to get rid of almost 30 pounds of fluid that had accumulated. I didn't have blood pressure, kidney or other issues... docs said some women just hold fluid.

Here are the only things that I can think of to help you (& wish I had done them correctly or more often).

• Drink water all the time! Don't poison yourself with it, but drink it alot! Water pushes old water through your system!
  • Drop the caffeine
  • Walk & move your limbs as often as you can
  • Rest with feet up as often as you can. You must rest to give body time to recover from the stresses - try to not bend & lift too much (straining & pressure)
  • Eat good foods with fiber & keep your GI tract working correctly
  • Watch your metabolic balance - maybe drink a gatorade-like drink occassionally (all the water can flush your metabolites too much)
  • Some ladies recommended magnesium, aloe vera juice, etc. I never looked into them & can't say much.
  • Talk to a chiropractor! They understand the body's natural process often better than the medicine doctors - adjustments & exercises may be recommended & helpful.

I wish i could tell you more. I was miserable & ended up sitting in bed all day for about a week before her birth. It took me 2.5 weeks to move the fluid out of my system after her birth. I could not move my toes, ankles or knees by the time she was born. My skin is still dry and old looking as my body recovers (she is 10 weeks old).... I also have varicose veins in a few places that resulted from all the fluids & pressure.

Keep the water, walking & elevation going! You may still have fluid, but hopefully it will limit it!

Yes, I think I hold fluid. With my second child, every time I went for an appt. towards the end, I gained 6-10 pounds each time. It was awful! And I definitely swelled with her in my fingers, right leg and ankle. With my first, I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks, but I didn't have noticeable leg and ankle swelling. It took longer for the swelling to go down with my second, but it finally did and I lost a lot of pounds at first as I did with my first. But, I also remember thinking after she was 2 years old, that I felt like I all of sudden got smaller and I think it was more fluid leaving. It wasn't weight loss because I wasn't doing anything and it was definitely all over, but not weight loss. I seem to already have started gaining many pounds when I go in and I'm just now 5 months along and my right ankle and leg are swelled all the time pretty much. I will definitely have to change some things as far as food goes and see if that helps. I'm hoping I don't swell to a greater extent this time. Thanks for the tips.

Don't have a pregnancy in the summer! LOL My only swollen pregnancy was the one where I was in the third trimester in the middle of summer.

I think keeping active is good, not standing on your feet too long in one spot, but getting regular exercise interspersed with putting your feet up. I have talked to ladies who had it so bad they wore those specisl support hose that you can buy in the drug store, especially if you have to stand for long periods of time.

It is a myth that salt causes swelling in pregnant women. Pregnant women need more salt, not less. Women who are salt-deprived will often swell and have symptoms of pre-eclampsia. This does not mean go crazy on the chips and pickles:).

A well-balanced diet with plenty of protein, fruits and vegetables, good whole grains, calcium rich foods and plenty of fluids will help your body better deal with the stress of pregnancy. Salting your food to taste is recommended.

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10491

http://www.storknet.com/experts/nutrition/cd23.htm

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pthirdtri/0,,midwife_3p6z,00.html

When I was pg with dd5 I used the Bradley method and was on a high-protein diet - 80g of protein a day. My instructor taught us that a high-protein diet can help eliminate swelling. She also said not to restrict salt during pregnancy, but salt food to taste. I followed all of these guidelines and had absolutely no swelling, not even in my fingers or feet, even when I was 2 weeks overdue. However, it was my only pregnancy so I'm not sure if the swelling was due to my diet or I'm just one of those lucky people that doesn't have that problem. But all of that protein did help me feel better regardless (and grew a nice, solid 9 pound baby :D).