Menu

FREE doctorate degree: Harvard wants to mold USA's education leadership

From http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/opinion/05herbert.html?ref=education

Kathleen McCartney, the graduate school’s dean, explained one of the dilemmas that has hampered reform. “If you look at people who are running districts,†she said, “some come from traditional schools of education, and they understand the core business of education but perhaps are a little weak on the management side. And then you’ve got the M.B.A.-types who understand operations, let’s say, but not so much teaching and learning.â€

(This is not the problem, imho.)

Anyway, who would you encourage to apply for one of these 25 fellowships?

From http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/opinion/05herbert.html?ref=education

Kathleen McCartney, the graduate school’s dean, explained one of the dilemmas that has hampered reform. “If you look at people who are running districts,†she said, “some come from traditional schools of education, and they understand the core business of education but perhaps are a little weak on the management side. And then you’ve got the M.B.A.-types who understand operations, let’s say, but not so much teaching and learning.â€

(This is not the problem, imho.)

Actually, I think it is the problem. I don't think you can run education based on a business model and that's exactly what they are trying to do.

To get accepted to HBS, someone would need at least a 3.5 undergraduate GPA and at least 700 on the GMAT plus strong essay & recommendations.

This is going through their education dept., not the business dept.

I might be interested. Seriously. Who better to think outside the box than a homeschooler. I don't want to move, though.

This is going through their education dept., not the business dept.

Ah, I had thought from the NYT article that it was a joint degree program with the schools of business & government.

I still think they're targeting folks with a background similar to my DH's b-school classmate.

I have an MBA in Finance from a top program. My undergraduate degree was English Lit with Psychology (specifically Learning) minor. I have a strong interest in education, public, private, homeschool. But I'm not interested in ever working in Government or for School Boards. If my DD was off to college instead of in Kindergartner, I would be interested in the program just because it sounds interesting/challenging/different.