Menu

math for a language oriented 1st grader?

monalisa

My almost 7 dd is extremely language oriented. She's reading probably at 3rd or 4th grade level, can memorize long passages of text, spells easily, etc. She spends her free time with her nose in a book. However, she is much less quick at math, and it can be a bit torturous for us to get through it each day. She understands concepts pretty easily, but is very slow to memorize facts, complete worksheets etc. I think it is primarily an interest thing for her. She CAN do it, she just could care less.

As I've pondered this, I wondered if any math curriculum seem to work better for kids with high language skills, if that makes any sense. I've been using BJU 1st grade with her so far this year, which is good from the standpoint that it is colorful, has a lot of stories in it. BJU is very traditional, mastery oriented. Maybe her language oriented, creative brain needs a different approach?

I also have Saxon 2, which I've used some of with her but frankly it is so boring for me (it is so visually BLAH); I bought it because a school we're thinking about for later uses Saxon and I thought it would be good to use some of it as a supplement for the drill and so she'd get used to it. Now I regret that expenditure. I also bought the RS games, but have only played a couple (they could have made the user manual a little more easy to use!).

Any ideas on what might work better with her? (I am comfortable with math -- I have an engineering background.)

What about a story based Waldorf approach? You could look at Oak Meadow for some ideas about they way they use stories for math. I am sure you can get some Waldorf K-3 math story manuals which present all of the K-3 concepts using stories.

I don't have any experience with it but it is the first thing that springs to mind.

What about a story based Waldorf approach? You could look at Oak Meadow for some ideas about they way they use stories for math. I am sure you can get some Waldorf K-3 math story manuals which present all of the K-3 concepts using stories.

Waldorf style could be worth a try. I've heard good things about Noble Knights of Knowledge (yes, that is a Waldorf-style math program :))