Menu

Update on our bedtime woes with DD5

A little over a week ago I wrote a post about how absolutely horrendous bedtime was with our 5 year old DD. That post is here. We had tried everything. So I decided to try a combination of things.

We wanted to keep her in our room, but in her own bed, like we've been trying to do. We also wanted her to go to bed at a decent time on the nights that we are home at that time (ideally around 8:30). And we wanted no screaming, yelling, crying, backtalking, calling me 100 times, etc!

So here's what I decided to do....we had previously tried letting her sit in bed and look at books, color, or listen to an audiotape. But the thing was, she would NEVER lay down to go to sleep. And when she became bored with whatever she was doing, she would start calling, crying, etc. So I'm allowing her to sit IN HER BED for 30 minutes. I set a timer. She can bring whatever she wants to bring in there with the exception of the portable DVD player. She can look at books, play Leapster, play the DS, color, draw, whatever. When the timer beeps at 30 minutes, I told her that she must slide everything under her bed, cover herself up, lay down, and go to sleep. I also sit a quarter beside her bed. If she stays in bed that night without calling me or crying or anything, she gets to keep the quarter in the morning. Enough quarters and she can buy something.

This is night six...........and every.single.night has been WONDERFUL. Happy, happy, joy, joy LOL!!! And the great thing is, this works on the nights when she gets in bed at 8 PM.....and it also works on the nights that we may not get her in bed till 11 PM. I will phase the quarter thing out eventually, but for now, .25 cents per night of peace is WELL worth it to me.

A little over a week ago I wrote a post about how absolutely horrendous bedtime was with our 5 year old DD. That post is here. We had tried everything. So I decided to try a combination of things.

We wanted to keep her in our room, but in her own bed, like we've been trying to do. We also wanted her to go to bed at a decent time on the nights that we are home at that time (ideally around 8:30). And we wanted no screaming, yelling, crying, backtalking, calling me 100 times, etc!

So here's what I decided to do....we had previously tried letting her sit in bed and look at books, color, or listen to an audiotape. But the thing was, she would NEVER lay down to go to sleep. And when she became bored with whatever she was doing, she would start calling, crying, etc. So I'm allowing her to sit IN HER BED for 30 minutes. I set a timer. She can bring whatever she wants to bring in there with the exception of the portable DVD player. She can look at books, play Leapster, play the DS, color, draw, whatever. When the timer beeps at 30 minutes, I told her that she must slide everything under her bed, cover herself up, lay down, and go to sleep. I also sit a quarter beside her bed. If she stays in bed that night without calling me or crying or anything, she gets to keep the quarter in the morning. Enough quarters and she can buy something.

This is night six...........and every.single.night has been WONDERFUL. Happy, happy, joy, joy LOL!!! And the great thing is, this works on the nights when she gets in bed at 8 PM.....and it also works on the nights that we may not get her in bed till 11 PM. I will phase the quarter thing out eventually, but for now, .25 cents per night of peace is WELL worth it to me.

That is brilliant!