Menu

Famous Men Series -- As Spine

Medieval Mom

Is anyone here using the Famous Men of... Series (either Greenleaf or Memoria Press) as a spine for history? I noticed LCC recommends this in grammar stage, and I'm intrigued!

Incidentally, the Greenleaf scope and sequence suggestion for history is EXACTLY the same as the one I drew up a year ago (in terms of time periods covered), when fantasizing about creating my own history curriculum. (This was before ds1 was born ;) )

Does Greenleaf have any particular religious slant?

Edited by Medieval Mom

We've actually just started using Famous Men of Greece. (Here are some Notebook pages that I'm making.) I wanted to get the Memoria Press books because they are pretty. :001_smile: But I found a good deal on the Greenleaf books (Greece and Rome) so I'm using those.

The online version and Memoria Press use the Roman names of the gods in the Greece book. That irritated me to no end. The Greenleaf book uses the Greek names, so now I'm glad that I got the those instead.

I am planning on using the Famous Men of Greece/Rome during our next rotation, which starts next year. I'm planning on using alongside another spine. I will use SOTW 1 for dd, who will be in 3rd. I'm undecided what else I will use for ds, who will be in 5th. I'm thinking about KHE per WTM or History Odyssey from K-12. We are going to spend two years on ancients for this rotation, so I want to have enough material. I used the FM Medieval along with SOTW 2 and really liked it, although this time I want to do a study guide to make it more complete.

The online version and Memoria Press use the Roman names of the gods in the Greece book. That irritated me to no end. The Greenleaf book uses the Greek names, so now I'm glad that I got the those instead.

Wow! Good to know! That would bother me too. :001_unsure:

ETA: I just checked out your notebook pages-- Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing these ideas:w00t:

Edited by Medieval Mom

I'm planing on using the Famous Men series as our spine this time but I am undecided as to which version. I am looking at the free one and the one from Memoria Press....

The ones from Memoria Press are well worth having -- so much nicer than the Greenleaf editions. I actually gave my old Greenleaf ones away and repurchased the MP ones. The illustrations, the maps... Just so, so much nicer.

I like them.... I like the MP ones enough to get those. I still have my kids listen to SOTW because I really like the SOTW. Also, know that you can get Famous Men of..... free... to download... and then put them on cds and let your kids listen to them.

Carrie:-)

Do you have a link to this free download?

Thanks,

Angela

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using it for logic stage as one of my spines. I feel it's a little too European centered for me to use it alone. I just did a much more European centered 10 week class specifically on the early middle ages and I used it as one of my primary sources for that because I wanted to hook them on specific individuals to help them remember the course of history for certain countries/areas during that time period.