Menu

Having your high schooler work independently ...

As some of you already know I lost my job here and will have to go back to work full-time outside of our home. I need to figure out something that my daughter can do almost completely independently ... that I can check when I get home at the end of the day to make sure she did her work.

Things I am considering are Robinson Curriculum, Alpha Omega Lifepacs, or possibly something else that I haven't thought of yet.

with NARS I still have to pull together whatever it is I am going to use. I have considered going with Crossroads just so she will have someone else to be accountable to, but there is still the question of what curriculum I am going to use. *sigh*

and the student's work is self-checked. They do major tests after each unit and those get graded by Keystone teachers.

My dd takes courses from Keystone...not all her courses, but some. She is very self-motivated so this self-teaching method works for her. If you have a student who will do the work as assigned in the syllabi, then these courses would be great. We have found them to be very good and she likes the independence AND she does great.

She takes Spanish, History and Science. I handle her other courses...math, literature, grammar, vocabulary, etc.

hth,

Robin

We're using the DVD's this year, and my oldest really likes it. She does most of her work without me. I only check tests and projects, she checks her hw herself (this has worked for us, it does depend on the child. I already know it would not work with my 2nd dd).

We have worked on helping her study, but nothing different than if she were in school. I go over papers and help a little with her projects, but that's it.

It does depend on your dd. My dd does the work, but struggles to put in the extra effort. Because of that, we've had to help with studing and projects. Some kids are more self motivated.

Overall the program has been great.

If my dd were going to be home alone I would like the DVDs or an internet program. An internet curriculum could be good as well, and could allow for some interaction for your dd.

you just indicate that you want your tuition amount billed monthly. It has been very helpful to pay it off rather than have to dish out so much at once.

Keystone is accredited. This is a factor for us since dd will most likely play college soccer and it's so much easier to have a transcript already "done up" for NCAA. We could do our own, but I'm avoiding the possibility of a hassle or delays by going the Keystone route.

Good luck to you in your search.

Robin

A friend's son totally homeschooled himself using Lifepacs, from 5th or 6th grade through high school. My friend would literally give him the Lifepacs and say do them, and he would. Her 2 grand-daughters are now being homeschooled in the same manner and it looks as though her 2 grandsons might follow suit.

We tried using SOS and Lifepacs with DS but he's not responsible enough (yet?) to do his schoolwork without mom hovering and telling him "It's time to do math now." We switched back to an eclectic mix of programs which includes some independent work in order to try to get DS to take more initiative and responsibility for his education.

Overall, it seems that those kids with more of a vision of where they want to go in life do better working independently. Those like DS who have trouble thinking about what they want to do next week seem to be unable to work without set assignments (broken down by day) and without mom (or dad or whomever) hovering.

Sue