Menu

Biology: creation vs evolution issues

Well it looks like we all jumped before we looked this time. I put my dd in a high school biology class. It turns out to be a small class of 4 kids (down to 3 now). Two of the kids might not come back for the second semester because the book and teacher will be teaching from an evolution view point (although she is at least a Christian). She says she will be covering it as a theory, but I don't think she is including the Creation theory at all. My husband and I don't mind if our dd hears this, it's all over the place. She knows and believes in creation. The other parents seem to not mind their kids hearing the evolution info, but they also want their kids to learn how creation theory fits in and how to defend their faith ... and they won't get it in this class. This is a good point. And yet, my dd likes the class and likes the teacher and wants to stay in the class. So, I'm wondering if there is a good book that I can suggest as a supplement. Perhaps the Answers book by Ken Ham? I have an old copy of that which helped me quite a bit a few years ago. (I wasn't raised Christian, so I never received this information.) Any other ideas?

Thanks so much.

Kathie

Here is a link to GoogleBooks that lists a lot of books about Intelligent Design (seems to be the new moniker for Creationism). Years ago we read Of Pandas and People, Darwin's Black Box, and Darwin on Trial. I'm sure there are many new books available that are excellent. I would encourage you to stick with the class if your daughter is learning and enjoys the class. High schoolers need to be versed in the ideas of evolution because many scientific thoughts are based on the assumption that evolution is true. So it is desirable to be able to see how both ideas (intelligent design and evolution) work to create a framework in which to understand our world.

Mysterious Islands DVD (visionforum.com) is now out. It is very good. It is filmed in the Galapagos Islands, and is now on sale. You also get a pocket guide about Charles Darwin that is by Answers In Genesis. We are doing Apologia Biology, and just finished their chapter on creation/evolution, and it was a nice way to finish it.

by Ken Ham along with the Institute for Creation research many other products. I was shocked by how much they offer. My kids have learned a ton after my ds, a science buff understood how many holes there are in such an extremely weak theory. He used to argue God used evolution but now understands better and more important scientifically why this is simply not possible. I credit three resources, one being the free Acts and facts publication that ICR offers. The second started with Apologia General (we love Apologia for this reason) and third we bought the Jonathan Park CDs and these are stories that have mainstream science and the holes in it, woven into adventure stories. I thought my dh was nuts when he bought the whole set on special at convention and they are a little corny sometimes, but I and the kids have learned a ton from them.

http://www.icr.org/

http://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Park-Adventure-Begins-Radio/dp/1929241852/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259950604&sr=1-2

HTH,

Kathy

Here is a link to GoogleBooks that lists a lot of books about Intelligent Design (seems to be the new moniker for Creationism). Years ago we read Of Pandas and People, Darwin's Black Box, and Darwin on Trial. I'm sure there are many new books available that are excellent. I would encourage you to stick with the class if your daughter is learning and enjoys the class. High schoolers need to be versed in the ideas of evolution because many scientific thoughts are based on the assumption that evolution is true. So it is desirable to be able to see how both ideas (intelligent design and evolution) work to create a framework in which to understand our world.

fwiw, Intelligent Design (aka ID) is not the new moniker for Creationism, although some ID proponents are Christians.

In short, ID is the belief that evolution was authored by an intelligence (some say God, some not) and some of the earliest proponents of it are not Christian (eg the author of the book Evolution: A Theory in Crisis back in the 1980s).

Creationist, technically, are those who believe the earth was created without any evolution. There is more than one creation theology, including old earth, young earth, gap theology, etc. Also, there are other religions which eschew evolution, including at least one of the Native American ones (I just wish I could remember the name of the book I found on this.)

Of course, this gets sticky, since there are Christians who consider themselves evolutionists :).

All of this has led to some very tense threads on the WTM forum in the past, and if you're interested, you can find the tags for these. I haven't followed the later ones, but do remember some of the earlier ones quite well.

I learn something new every day on these boards:) Around these parts, folks are using the terms ID and Creationism interchangeably. It's good to know that we need to be more specific in our terminology.

:) It's true, there's always a lot to learn. Many atheistic evolutionists see ID as a wedge to introduce God & Christianity into the schools, too. What I've found is that the lines are fuzzy for most people because we tend not to know much about it, even within whichever category we fall into. After one of the older threads and hearing someone speak very knowledgeably (sp) on this subject, I did a lot of reading in the various camps. I read two full books by ID people, one Christian & one not, and have another ID book I've read part of on my shelf to read in the future. I also took another look at evolution (there are various theories there, too, but we don't hear of all of them in the US and I'm curious as to some of the ones we don't hear about) and at what various Christians teach in the Creationist end of it. Naturally, the lines can be somewhat blurred, too, for some.

One of the basic differences between Christian forms of ID and other forms is who or what is the intelligence behind Ingelligent Design. I'm not an ID proponent, but at one time I think I was without knowing the term for it, since it hadn't been coined yet & Denton's book hadn't yet been written, and it's the earliest one I'm personally aware of on the subject, and it's very secular.

Edited by Karin

Creationist, technically, are those who believe the earth was created without any evolution. There is more than one creation theology, including old earth, young earth, gap theology, etc. .....

Of course, this gets sticky, since there are Christians who consider themselves evolutionists :).

and just to add to the mix....

then you gotta remember that evolution and abiogenesis are 2 different issues -- some Christians believe in evolution but not a secular abiogenesis. ;)

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and information. I think I'll offer to get the girls together, maybe once a week, to go through one of these books. I get the feeling, though, that the other two girls will probably choose to drop out ... leaving my dd as the only student. ug.

Anyway, I have the Revised Answers book which is one edition before the latest version. Anyone know what the differences are? Is it worth it to get the newer version?

I also have on hand, It Couldn't Just Happen. Perhaps this will be a better choice... Comments? I'll probably offer both books to the parents.

Check out this book from Answers in Genesis (Evolution Exposed):

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n3/biology-101-dissecting-todays-textbook

I am planning to buy it next year when my son studies biology. It identifies the the evolutionary content used in America’s major biology textbooks and then provides the creationist view in each instance.

I hope this is helpful.

Deanna

Check out this book from Answers in Genesis (Evolution Exposed):

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n3/biology-101-dissecting-todays-textbook

I am planning to buy it next year when my son studies biology. It identifies the the evolutionary content used in America’s major biology textbooks and then provides the creationist view in each instance.

I hope this is helpful.

Deanna

Wow Deanna, what a find! Thank you for sharing this! They even have an online link to an updated index that references this book with the Biology book (Levine/Miller) that we are using. :thumbup:

Now I'm off to email the others and see what they think.

Thanks again! (love this board!) :auto: