Menu

Gasping/choking during sleep (young babies)

This is a question my sister had. She has a 2-month old son, and he's been doing this sometimes while feeding and sometimes in his sleep. She notices it several times an hour. He will seem to stop breathing for a good 5 seconds, then gasp and loudly pull in air. Says it's kind of alarming.

She recently found out he has a dairy sensitivity or allergy (blood in stool, corrected by her eliminating dairy).

Any ideas/experience? Could this be reflux?

TIA,

Amy

It sounds just like symptoms my oldest had as an infant and she had reflux. If we laid her down on her back, she would start choking. It was the scariest thing. I would discuss it with the pediatrician. They tried medication with Sweet-pea and we even tried thickening her milk as she got older but truly the only thing that helped it was that she eventually (by about a year old and more solid food) outgrew it.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
He will seem to stop breathing for a good 5 seconds, then gasp and loudly pull in air.

My nephew did this. He did have apnea. He actually completely stopped breathing while still in the hospital as a newborn and was thankfully revived and diagnosed there. He had to be on a special machine 24/7 for the first year and grew out of it, apparently.

It needs to be checked right away. I would personally get in tomorrow. If not, I would visit the ER before waiting out the weekend or for an appointment.