Menu

Challenge!!! Anyone want to cancel cable and turn off the TV for 2010 with me?

We got rid of Direct tv and now with an antenna and digital broadcasting we get all the major networks, Fox, pbs and a few others for free. So while we are not tv free, we at least are not paying all that money each month! I like free TV.

I'm actually doing the opposite and turning on DirecTV in January. We've been cable free for almost 3 years and I'm going insane. I miss the history channel and discovery channel and all the cool shows I read about online and wish that I was able to watch them. My son used to be obsessed with the history channel and watched a show every night. I also have Netflix for movies because I'm not getting any movie channels though. I'm not going to upgrade my tv though. It's a big ugly thing but does exactly what it's intended to do. :)

We've had no cable for 9 years now, and with the switch to digital, the only station we get over the air is PBS. T.V. is just not part of our life. But dh can hook up his computer to the t.v. to watch an important college football game. We have plenty of DVDs or get free ones from the library for family movie nights. We just don't miss t.v. at all and I think my kids have much more active imaginations and healthier lives without it.

Tell me more about espn 360 and on what sites football can be watched. The Directv football package deal is up for renewal in 2010 and I am hoping they don't renew so the games will be available online (similar to the baseball packages they have). We don't subscribe to a football package now but I would online if it meant no more cable (though I would still have to find sportscenter).

We get the basic cable free with our cable internet service and we never watch it (just regular channels like PBS, ABC, NBC etc). We watch way too many videos that we get from the library - some educational, but some Bakugan, superhero, movies etc. This is what we need to cut down on. We are trying to move towards Family Movie nights on Friday and Saturday, maybe a couple of educational videos during the week, and cut everything else out. It is hard for me though - otherwise it is hard to get things done without getting interrupted all the time. Or to get a break.

No. We don't watch a lot of TV, but the TV we watch is well worth it, imo. We learn, have great discussions and laugh together as a family.

My dd and I, right now, are thorough enjoying watching Little Dorrit. Great mother and daughter time.

Dh and I loved Little Dorrit!

We rarely just watch something on TV. We've used our DVR extensively for kids educational shows and the one prime time show my husband and I watch together (Lie to Me). That way we watch on our own schedule without commercials.

We might be getting rid of our Direct TV, though, now that we've been watching Netflix instant play movies and shows with our Roku player. Talk about convenient!! I have no problem at all with the time we spend watching Netflix movies, educational shows, and DVDs (mostly educational) we borrow from the library. We certainly won't be getting rid of our TV even if we cancel our Direct TV.