Menu

Challenge!!! Anyone want to cancel cable and turn off the TV for 2010 with me?

I'm tired of the box. There are many thought provoking shows but so so many time wasting, mind numbing things that I end of watching as well. The kids rarely watch live television and we use Discovery Education Streaming now. So... it is time that I spend my free time...being FREE!

I'm already dreaming of all the time I'll be reading and doing those things I haven't been doing instead of watching the tube.

Anyone want to join me? :D

Julie in Monterey

Me!

But I don't think my husband will go for it. We have actually discussed it and he would consent if there was a way to watch football .

:iagree:

I've brought it up in the past and dh looked at me like I'd grown another two heads! The man loves his weather channel!

There's too many good educational shows on that we use for school for us to participate. However, we hardly ever watch any of the junk... so I still feel quite free. We also tape everything on our DVR and watch it at our convenience without commercials. I couldn't stand even educational TV if we didn't have that option.

Me!

But I don't think my husband will go for it. We have actually discussed it and he would consent if there was a way to watch football (other than going out to a sports bar which was my idea).

:iagree:. DH has to have the TV on for background noise! Drives me nuts as DS and I don't watch TV.

We have actually discussed it and he would consent if there was a way to watch football (other than going out to a sports bar which was my idea).
The picture quality off the air is as good or better than that provided by any cable company. Unless your husband is purchasing an "every single game" football package, this is not a reason to stick with cable.

In addition, you can get a DVR with no monthly fee. With this, your husband can watch one game and record another, all in high definition. Or, he can watch one on your television and record TWO other games. You can also pause, skip commercials, re-watch commercials and plays, etc.

Nah. I'm content with the amount of time we spend on tv/streaming tv/dvds. Dh and I enjoy winding down at the end of a day with an episode of Mad Men or something on Food Network, etc. The kids watch a little tv or dvds on weekends. It all seems pretty moderate to me. Maybe if I thought we were wasting many productive hours in front of the television, I'd feel differently. Or if we were struggling financially and cutting cable would be one step towards helping that... Sure. But I don't think those things apply to our particular situation.

We got rid of directv about 4 months ago. You can watch almost every tv show for free on fancast.com, hulu.com and casttv.com. My dh has hooked up a small computer to our tv. It is like having a dvr. The shows come out about

a week after they air on cable. The only thing I can't get for free is sports, but you can buy sports online.

We have not had cable for 13 years....we get 7 stations, 2 of which are PBS. In the past 13 years there have been 3 times that we have really wanted to see something that was on a cable station, and had a friend record it.

In an age when the hottest thing last week during Black Friday seemed to be TVs larger than my living room, lol.....I don't regret having only basic television. We have saved thousands on TVs themselves (we still use a 20" old fashioned tube TV), but saved many thousands by not having cable, not to mention all the things we haven't bought because of commercials we haven't watched, lol.

And while we do have an entire bookcase of DVDs, the fact is that most of them are educational over popular. For popular type movies we borrow them for free from the library. Yeah, we have to wait a few weeks after it is released, but it's free!

DH's co-workers are just dumbfounded that we have no interest in running out to the movie theatre for opening night of every movie, that we can actually survive without cable TV, and that we don't own every DVD movie ever made. But then several of his co-workers also confess to having many DVD movies still in their plastic, because they bought it "in case" they want to watch again....and then don't.

When DH reminds them that we also have no credit card debt (or store credit debt) they typically stop razing him, as most of them owe a year's salary in debt for all their latest and greatest toys.

For those whose DH's aren't willing to give up sports.....remember that just because the TV is sitting there doesn't mean that YOU have to use it. Modify your challenge to be not to sit down and watch TV. Maybe the cable company has a sports only package to save you a little money....and then take that money and create a lovely, comfortable, well lit room for your sanctuary.

We have cable and like to watch the History Channel, Discovery, Animal Planet, and family movies on Hallmark sometimes.

My dh would never go for turning it off because of ESPN. He and the boys have "bonding" time watching sports.

We never turn it on during the day during the week, and we leave for activities as soon as we finish school. So we watch maybe one show at night and a little more on weekends unless we're out doing something, which we usually are.

We don't have cable, and haven't for about 2 years. In fact, we watch no "regular" TV at all, but only movies sometimes. . or kids' videos. I like it, because we waste less time in front of the TV, and my kids are not as commercialized (i.e. they don't ask me for the ten most advertised toys for Christmas).

Me!

But I don't think my husband will go for it. We have actually discussed it and he would consent if there was a way to watch football (other than going out to a sports bar which was my idea).

Same here, except for my husband can't give up the baseball. He's in 3 different fantasy leagues and needs to switch back and forth between 6 games at a time.:tongue_smilie:

But why even pay that? Just wondering.

Not everyone gets a good signal where they live. We don't. We might be able to with a roof antenna (might--we have pretty thorough tree coverage here), but I'd rather pay the $10 a month or whatever for basic cable than do that. Also, we get a discount on our cable modem because we have cable, so it doesn't really cost anything (I think...I haven't looked at the bill closely in awhile). We have no football watchers here...the reason we don't go completely cable free is LOST :) If I wanted to free up time for reading, I'd be much better off getting rid of my computer than TV ;)

We have been TV free for over 10 years. My teenagers will tell you that it has had an even greater impact on who they are than homeschooling has.

Now, my dad bought us a big screen TV for Christmas. He has satellite TV, and records History and Science shows, takes out the commercials and puts them on DVD for the kids. I really could not find any fault with that system, so while we now HAVE a television, we won't be WATCHING television.

kokotg, I am right there with you! We cancelled our cable for the kids' sakes, though dh and I rarely watched anything. But, my computer... it keeps me from cleaning house... today, that changes! I WILL get some stuff done!

Not everyone gets a good signal where they live. We don't. We might be able to with a roof antenna (might--we have pretty thorough tree coverage here), but I'd rather pay the $10 a month or whatever for basic cable than do that.
True. We are 60 miles from the nearest transmitters, so we have the same problem. I'm also opposed to putting up an antenna on the roof. What we did was put a small UHF and upper VHF antenna in our attic.
Also, we get a discount on our cable modem because we have cable, so it doesn't really cost anything (I think...I haven't looked at the bill closely in awhile).
You know, if I could get a cable modem, I would do the same thing! Sadly, the cable stops 4 miles from here and we end up paying twice as much money for satellite internet service with far inferior service. Bring on 4G wireless, please!
We have no football watchers here...the reason we don't go completely cable free is LOST :) If I wanted to free up time for reading, I'd be much better off getting rid of my computer than TV ;)
Yeah, but as mentioned, there are lots of professional and college football games broadcast over the air for those who do. Just not every game like you can buy on cable.

I don't have cable, but we stopped watching tv this fall. Dh and I needed more time together and tv was my focus previously for the evenings, so we no longer watch tv. we do rent movies and have netflix, but no tv is watched here. I do think with basketball season he may watch a few games.

we have found so many great card games we enjoy together and more as a family. We have spent hundreds in new game and all are loving the time spent together much better!

We killed our cable in September and have NEVER looked back. Woo hoo! (We do have a free broadcast antenna on our roof that gets all of the "old fashioned" stations plus a few more, including 5 really really good PBS stations that show better programming than anything on cable.

Not quite ready to go 100% TV free, but our watching has reduced greatly since we killed the cable, and saved $70 a month BTW...

We are much more purposeful in our viewing now...don't just surf anymore. If there's nothing on, it goes off.

I don't have cable, but we stopped watching tv this fall. Dh and I needed more time together and tv was my focus previously for the evenings, so we no longer watch tv. we do rent movies and have netflix, but no tv is watched here. I do think with basketball season he may watch a few games.

we have found so many great card games we enjoy together and more as a family. We have spent hundreds in new game and all are loving the time spent together much better!

Tess, I say, "Go for it."

Hubby and I have been married over a decade and we've never had cable or even network television. It's been so "liberating" to be in total control of what we view in this house.

Folks have told me that I will "have to" get cable when my children become teens. I'm hoping to prove them wrong. :D

May you and yours continue to enjoy the wonderful quality time without the 'tube.

Hmm. I've been waiting for dh to come on board with this one....but you know what, I don't think he will.

SO, me and the kids are going Satellite Free this year. DH can watch what he wants, but we won't.

We'll only watch movies or something special on a dvd every now and then. Maybe if dh sees us doing it, he'll be inspired. He's pretty thrifty, so maybe when he sees that we're not dying from lack of tv, he'll want to cut out the satellite bill.

Yeah! I have a few people joining me. Funny, we didn't have cable for the first 7 years of our marriage. It's ironic, we got it when my dad came out to help us renovate our house for a month. He loves his TV. We just never canceled (5 years later). We had the DVR and loved that. For those of you that don't have a DVR and want to control more of how you use the TV, it's a great tool to be in control of *when* you watch and passing up those commercials. I highly recommend it...it cuts down football watching time by at least an hour per game!

Julie in Monterey

I would love to join you, but I have mentioned this to DH several times and he says, "No way." He "must" have ESPN. He works hard and sports is really the only thing he tunes in for. He told me to just not turn the TV on if I didn't want the kids to indulge. LOL He did agree to a one week experiment of no tv--after the Super Bowl of course. We'll see how that goes.

Nah. I'm content with the amount of time we spend on tv/streaming tv/dvds. Dh and I enjoy winding down at the end of a day with an episode of Mad Men or something on Food Network, etc. The kids watch a little tv or dvds on weekends. It all seems pretty moderate to me. Maybe if I thought we were wasting many productive hours in front of the television, I'd feel differently. Or if we were struggling financially and cutting cable would be one step towards helping that... Sure. But I don't think those things apply to our particular situation.

Same here. Dh and I really enjoy sitting down together and watching our favorite shows. Actually, we watch tv more than the kids. We have zero limits and they have zero interest. They haven't wanted to just sit and watch tv in at least a year or so. Friends and games have won out over the t.v. (for now anyway). :)

...oh, except for the littlest Who in Whoville. She still enjoys watching something like Peep or Dora.

I would love to join you, but I have mentioned this to DH several times and he says, "No way." He "must" have ESPN. He works hard and sports is really the only thing he tunes in for. He told me to just not turn the TV on if I didn't want the kids to indulge. LOL He did agree to a one week experiment of no tv--after the Super Bowl of course. We'll see how that goes.

Maybe ESPN 360 online? I've tried to use that argument with dh. Unfortunately, we only follow college football and our team is usually only broadcast on obscure satellite-only channels.

If I wanted to free up time for reading, I'd be much better off getting rid of my computer than TV ;)

:D:D:iagree:

We are cable free - have been for 14 years. We do have zip (the Canadian netflix) and we have a huge library of our own dvd's so the screen is watched, but it's commercial free & selected by us.

Maybe ESPN 360 online? I've tried to use that argument with dh. Unfortunately, we only follow college football and our team is usually only broadcast on obscure satellite-only channels.

He probably won't go for that. He only last year decided to check out the internet and he still asks for help. LOL Now, the TV remote, he has down.

Good for you! If only I could have the self discipline to use TV this way. There are shows that we really miss, like the food network and sports. (We've been no TV for a couple of years.) But we are a family with no ability to limit ourselves where TV is concerned. (I'm so embarrased about it. It just shows my immaturity!) So we had to either waste copious amounts of time, or turn the darn thing off for good. Now we have to go to granny's house if we want to watch something special, which we do only occationally and it's usually a football game. I do think I'll try to get up there for American Idol this season. I used to LOVE that show!

I'm tired of the box. There are many thought provoking shows but so so many time wasting, mind numbing things that I end of watching as well. The kids rarely watch live television and we use Discovery Education Streaming now. So... it is time that I spend my free time...being FREE!

I'm already dreaming of all the time I'll be reading and doing those things I haven't been doing instead of watching the tube.

Anyone want to join me? :D

Julie in Monterey

I did this a couple of months ago, and it is SO freeing! I subscribe to Netflix now for movies and documentaries and my lovely tv armoire stays shut most of the time. We don't miss TV at all!

We have a 13in tv that we play DVDs on for the kids when they are sick or it's a special occasion.

Otherwise we are completely tv-free. No cable. Didn't buy the digital box upgrade.

We've been that way for 7+ years.

AND it was HUBBY'S idea. Pretty cool, I think. :D But he isn't into sports at all. He'd rather have his nose in a book so it makes it a no-brainer for him.

We have cable internet. Adding the extra tv package is very cheap, compared to the internet when you bundle. If it made much difference, I'd junk it in a heartbeat. It just doesn't make that much difference in the bill, and we have it if we ever want to watch something. (Why is it that there is NEVER anything on when you want to? Friday night is the worst. I'm getting sick of Funniest HOme Videos!)

No way! I LOVE our cable, plus we have a cable internet package, but....

The main reasons are:

1) We have only had cable 1 1/2 years now. Never had it in over 27 years of marriage.

2) Older two kids are off on their own. Youngest is a senior this year and is rarely at home to watch tv. She's too busy. So, when she's home, it's a treat to sit and watch a show with her.

3) Since my kids are older and leaving home, *I* am enjoying watching tv shows and movies that I haven't had a chance to before.

I'm very happy with my cable hook-up, thank you!

wrong box: I need to get rid of the computer. Actually, though, I couldn't.

As for television, we don't watch network or cable. We quit years and years ago. We would occassionally watch something on PBS or some breaking news (last thing I remember was 9/11) but when the signal changed, we didn't get a converter b/c we thought it was built into our tv. The television is a giant flat screen affair that my husband won at his company Christmas party (two years ago and he still gets ribbed b/c the only man in the company who doesn't watch television won the highly coveted t.v.). We thought we'd use it for movies, et c. so we kept it.

We have movie night one weekend night per week -- which ever night is free -- and we use netflix for that. Sometimes we actually watch a movie but often we watch a couple of episodes of something. We watch the old stuff: Brady Bunch, Dick van Dyke, Leave it to Beaver, et c.

In addition to that, my husband and I will sometimes watch a movie or episode on the weekend. Sometimes not. To be honest, we get sleepy earlyish and don't have a full movie in us and most modern episodes don't appeal to us and a lot of the old ones we save for family movie night.

Oooh, there is one grown up show that I love: Don Matteo.

Now, the computer. I have no excuse. I'm pathetic. I need to take action.

uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh ..... *hands trembling as they make their way to the keyboard and meekishly types* ok.

This is something I need to do. No more excuses. It's got to be done.

*Cries running away from the computer to give the TV a big hug and kiss*