Menu

Is CLE LA as thorough as R&S English?

I am particularly interested in level 600. I am just finishing up R&S 5 with my ds and I do it all orally with him. He really seems to like the workbook format that CLE has to offer (we are using CLE Reading) so I am considering making the change. It seems it would free me up at bit as well as he could do it more independently. I do love the thoroughness of R&S though and do not want to take a step backwards. Any thoughts?

and more so because of the constant review of CLE. I think CLE does a better job of helping dc retained & use the info due the the spiral method.

I haven't used CLE LA 6 but we're using CLE LA for the first time and I think it's superior and it also teaches some things R&S English doesn't. I used R&S English 3-7 with my older ds; R&S E. 3-6 with younger ds.

CLE has a placement test online that you can print and have him take. It really is the most accurate and best way to place him with the curriculum. CLE is ahead of R&S in scope and sequence so I would have him take the test first then place him where it says to.

If you don't you are only going to set yourself and your son up for some major frustration and disappointment with the curriculum. Trust me.

I've been wondering about this as well, since my kids greatly prefer the worktext format. We are using R&S right now. I had thought there wasn't much review as compared with CLE, but honestly there is review in nearly every lesson, and every so often there is a lesson that is ALL review. So how is that different from CLE's review? (I'm truly not meaning to be snarky...I'm curious as to what the difference is since I'm looking at possibly using CLE myself.:001_smile: )

Would it be difficult to use CLE for the grammar ONLY? Or would it be difficult to separate out the handwriting, spelling, and writing exercises? We use other curriculums for those subjects.

I am just wondering where I would start my son who is just finishing up R&S5. It looks like CLE 6 would be a total review of what he learned in R&S5 not that this is a bad thing. The more I look at CLE the more I like what I see. Any thoughts on whether I should choose 6 or 7?

We went from R&S English 6 to CLE LA 7; it's a perfect fit. The first LU was a bit tough because it reviews a lot in one LU.

Look at the CLE scope & sequence chart VERY carefully and you'll see what was missed in R&S E. 5 that's covered in CLE LA 6.

I've been wondering about this as well, since my kids greatly prefer the worktext format. We are using R&S right now. I had thought there wasn't much review as compared with CLE, but honestly there is review in nearly every lesson, and every so often there is a lesson that is ALL review. So how is that different from CLE's review? (I'm truly not meaning to be snarky...I'm curious as to what the difference is since I'm looking at possibly using CLE myself.:001_smile: )

Would it be difficult to use CLE for the grammar ONLY? Or would it be difficult to separate out the handwriting, spelling, and writing exercises? We use other curriculums for those subjects.

Please remember that there is NOTHING as good as the R&S E. TM - it's the best!! If you use the R&S E. TM you will be sorely disappointed in the CLE TG. But if you don't need the R&S TM, CLE is great for doing independently or doing a review with your dc based on his or her weaknesses (we have always used flash cards for review).

It depends on the grade. For CLE LA 7, we skip the penmanship and writing. We do the grammar and spelling with IEW writing.

Please remember that there is NOTHING as good as the R&S E. TM - it's the best!! If you use the R&S E. TM you will be sorely disappointed in the CLE TG. But if you don't need the R&S TM, CLE is great for doing independently or doing a review with your dc based on his or her weaknesses (we have always used flash cards for review).

I really haven't used the R&S TE except to grade things. They've just been doing the reviews that are in the written assignments. Those came as a surprise to me, since I was under the impression that R&S didn't review very much.:confused:

I am a HUGE CLE fan, don't get me wrong, but R&S has worked so much better for my older son. My degree is in English and R&S is exactly what we both needed. What happened to my older son with CLE is that he was missing a LOT of his work because it was so independent. I would check his work, we would go over what he missed, and then the next day he would miss something else. It was not consistent. He got to a place where he would just rush through it because it was just so much work for him. Once he had done CLE math, Bible, and Reading, he just flew through the LA to get it done. I have found that R&S gives us the wonderful oral option and then, when he does have to write something out, he knows what to do and gets it done CORRECTLY.

All this just to say that every kid is different. I think CLE is plenty thorough and I really do love the curriculum overall. It just wasn't a great fit for my ds10.

The placement test is definitely your best bet with CLE and I would really encourage you to place him exactly where CLE recommends.

Best of luck!

So if a person needs the hand holding of the R&S TM, with the explanations, then CLE would be a bad choice?

Because I haven't used CLE LA for very long. I used R&S E. for 6 years and it worked very well for us for a long time.

My advice is to pick one one try it for a year and if it works stick with it. If not, try the other. They are both excellent!

I really haven't used the R&S TE except to grade things. They've just been doing the reviews that are in the written assignments. Those came as a surprise to me, since I was under the impression that R&S didn't review very much.:confused:

But the review is different than CLE. Because CLE does almost all the parts of speech (except interjections) in the first lightunit then they get reviewed more frequently (along with do,io,pa,pn). In R&S E. you may not get to prepositions until much later in the school year so prepositions (and others done at the end of the year) will not get that much review.

Again this is ONLY based on CLE LA 7 so the younger grades may be different.

But the review is different than CLE. Because CLE does almost all the parts of speech (except interjections) in the first lightunit then they get reviewed more frequently (along with do,io,pa,pn). In R&S E. you may not get to prepositions until much later in the school year so prepositions (and others done at the end of the year) will not get that much review.

Ah, that's what I was wondering about - just what about the review was different. Thanks!

This fact would be a big selling point to us. My son struggles with retention and the constant review in writing in front of him would be a huge plus. I am still on the fence because leaving a tried and true method is a difficult prospect for me. On the other hand, I am really looking to free up some time because I have (2) three year olds in tow and it looks like my son could be CLE independently. My only concern is what Rebecca has experienced. I can see that occuring with my son. Hmmmm...decisions, decisions.

Also, has anyone used the extra review sheets that are available? I do use the worksheets with R&S. Otherwise, we do it all orally.

Edited by blessed2fosteradopt
added text

Isn't another issue of CLE vs. R&S the spiral vs. mastery method? I love how independent CLE is and the breadth of topics it covers. My older DD is doing wonderfully with CLE LA, Math & Reading and I'd highly recommend it for a child who likes a spiral method. But my younger DD is a "just give me the facts" kind of kid and prefers a mastery method. She did not care for CLE LA - she could do it and learned from it but she was not happy. I believe R&S is mastery so that might be a better fit for that type of child?

• 5 weeks later...

We switched from R&S to CLE this year. We've used R&S since we started HSing six years ago. So far my girls are enjoying CLE much more.

Look at the CLE scope & sequence chart VERY carefully and you'll see what was missed in R&S E. 5 that's covered in CLE LA 6.

This. I have found the S&S much more helpful and accurate than the placement tests. I bought the placement tests for my girls and they were somewhat accurate. One of my dd's tested for one level and I bought it...it turned out to be WAY TOO EASY for her.

I'm getting ready to switch my 3dd to CLE for LA and Math and I'm not bothering with the placement tests.