Menu

Why this non-classical educator visits this board

I won't go into why I'm not a classical home educator, mainly because it isn't very interesting and certainly not relevant to what I have to say.

I am an eclectic home schooler, using what fits each child at each stage of life. I've used Sonlight extensively in the past and was once an active member on their forums. Since I no longer use Sonlight as such, and since they went to a pay-as-you-go forum, I don't post there anymore.

TWTM boards are one of the few serious home school-oriented boards that are not curriculum specific. In other words, while the boards are set up for sharing and encouraging classical education methods, it is not set up to push one vendor's curriculum package. That means there will be a wide range of curriculum choices discussed here. This forum is a gold mine of information on new and "old" resources for every subject under the sun. Almost every resource I use to home school my children I learned about here. That includes Lial's math books, Speilvogel's history books, Brinkley's American History, Warriner's English, and more.

I generally don't initiate threads but respond when I think I have something to say, especially if there is a situation I might have experienced before.

I've known all along that this board is primarily dedicated to classical education. I know I'm not a classical educator. But I hope this board will continue to be open to sharing and communicating across the whole spectrum of educational choices. Those of us who don't educate classically can learn a great deal from those of you who do. And when it comes to sharing resources, encouragement, and teaching tips, I think you can benefit from us as well. :grouphug:

I hope this helps people understand why someone who isn't a classical educator might be interested in reading and participating on TWTM forums.

Blessings!

Did I miss something? No doubt -- wouldn't be the first time.

I've seen posts here from PS teachers, private school teachers, people who don't homeschool but are thinking about, people who don't homeschool and aren't thinking about it, and people who call what they're doing "homeschooling" but --

True, the name is "The Well-Trained Mind Forums" but I've seen plenty of posts from people who have never read the book or know what "classical education" is and are pretty happy with what they're doing, and what they're finding here.

So looks like you'll fit right in -- LOL!

I read this last night but decided to "sleep on it" before responding. I am one of the very small handful of people who questioned whether the forums have gotten away from what I percieve to be the original intent.

I have seen comments that indicate almost a disdain for classical methodology. It is the memory of those types of comments that led me to respond in the other thread the way I did. I certainly do not want someone to feel unwelcome here because their homeschool does not have the WTM stamp of approval. Sheesh, my homeschool does not even come close!!! I do believe the majority of posters and lurkers do, at the very minimum, have respect for the work and message in WTM.

I just want the underlying message of SWB and JW to not be lost. Those of us who are still striving towards the goals of WTM, as well as those who have applied it successfully, need this forum to help us keep on keeping on.

And if I misunderstand the original intent of these forums then, well, as Emily Littella would say "Ne-ver mind!!"

Unless I misunderstood, the sentiment wasn't that non-classical hs'ers (or non-hs'ers for that matter) aren't welcome here. What I "heard" (and believe myself) is the wonder that anybody would come here and bash WTM or classical methods. Sort of like if somebody dissed SL on their boards - it being their playground and all that.

Unless I misunderstood, the sentiment wasn't that non-classical hs'ers (or non-hs'ers for that matter) aren't welcome here. What I "heard" (and believe myself) is the wonder that anybody would come here and bash WTM or classical methods. Sort of like if somebody dissed SL on their boards - it being their playground and all that.

It's not necessarily that I felt anyone wasn't welcoming non-classical home schoolers (although I think that sentiment could be interpreted from some of the posts). I am simply responding to repeated question on the previous thread as to why a non-classical educator would even want to participate on a classical education board.

I'm not fond of bashing of any type, and certainly hope I don't come across as anti-classical education. Like I said, one reason I'm here is because classical educators seem to be some of the best at finding quality resources and materials. I'm here very much out of respect for their skills.

Blessings

I just want the underlying message of SWB and JW to not be lost. Those of us who are still striving towards the goals of WTM, as well as those who have applied it successfully, need this forum to help us keep on keeping on.

Kelli, I am reminded of the saying, "Use it, or lose it". If those still using WTM and Classical methods do not maintain a voice here, it will get lost in the mix. That is a sad thing.

Perhaps I am oversimplifying things, but why can't those who are concerned about this issue simply begin conversations about what they are doing and planning? I don't get it. As a matter of fact, I noticed a newbie post by someone just starting out with WTM. I didn't notice many people from the "smaller/purer" thread responding to them. On the heels of that whole discussion, I must ask, "Why not???" G-d bless those dear, humble people who stick around and share their thoughts and ideas. (Kathleen, Tina in Ouray, Plaid Dad, Nan in Mass, to name a few...)

I'm asking these questions honestly, and not to be argumentative.

And, I do remember quite some time ago reading someone's (rather disdainful) post about Classical hs'ers, and how they kind of go too far, or take this hs'ing too seriously. (or something to that effect) Shame on me for not questioning them for that kind of post in this kind of place. :001_huh:

I hope this continues, as well. Like I said in a previous post, I don't like bashing of any sort, and I hope I'm always respectful of classical educators. However, I feel free to respond with alternatives to questions by posters for whom some of the more challenging aspects of classical education aren't working, for whatever reason. And there are legitimate reasons why the classical approach doesn't work for one child or another, even within a classically homeschooling family. I hope people continue to feel free to post those kinds of questions here.

And I hope my main point comes across: it is because of the rigor and discipline of the classical educators that this forum is such a valuable resource for me. I've found many of the best materials and methods to help maximize our home school right here.

Blessings

I used to post more, asking questions and giving input, but LIFE with older children has interfered! ;) This year I am also planning a May wedding for my soon-to-be 23 year old daughter!

Congratulations, Carrie! I, too, am working with my soon-to-be 23 year old daughter on finalizing details for her April 12th wedding. Hope everything is going well with your wedding planning!

TWTM boards are one of the few serious home school-oriented boards that are not curriculum specific. In other words, while the boards are set up for sharing and encouraging classical education methods, it is not set up to push one vendor's curriculum package. That means there will be a wide range of curriculum choices discussed here. This forum is a gold mine of information on new and "old" resources for every subject under the sun. Almost every resource I use to home school my children I learned about here. That includes Lial's math books, Speilvogel's history books, Brinkley's American History, Warriner's English, and more.

I only regularly visit 2 boards- here and SL- plus periodically read the postings of the homeschool2college lists. Years ago I regularly looked through a larger group of discussion lists. Once I settled on my basic approach to homeschooling I found that TWTM board is the *one board* that consistently discusses the variety of curriculum that is of interest to homeschoolers with students who may be bound for highly selective schools. I have appropriated some aspects of classical homeschooling for our homeschool, but not all. What keeps me reading here every day is the encouragement to aim high in our academic standards.

Congratulations, Carrie! I, too, am working with my soon-to-be 23 year old daughter on finalizing details for her April 12th wedding. Hope everything is going well with your wedding planning!

I can't believe I'm already at that stage in life! Both exciting and a little sobering.

I hope your event goes off without a hitch!

Carrie

And there are legitimate reasons why the classical approach doesn't work for one child or another, even within a classically homeschooling family. I hope people continue to feel free to post those kinds of questions here.

And I hope my main point comes across: it is because of the rigor and discipline of the classical educators that this forum is such a valuable resource for me. I've found many of the best materials and methods to help maximize our home school right here.

Blessings

Amen and amen. :)

I used to say, jokingly, that I have to read TWTM, research, etc., because then I have a plan from which to deviate. :D But if I don't take all the inspirational, material, directional, philosophical helps and use them to set the bar high for my family, I'm missing out and so are my kids.

I doubt very much that any of us here has much in common in the small details of how we prefer to teach, reasons for choosing particular curricula, or even the range of needs within our families. However, the thing that keeps us coming back is that we are more alike than different and we gain strength in that.

Thank you, all, for your POV, not-so-humble opinions, and being willing to share. It makes TWTM, an already incredible resource, an absolutely stellar one.

I was thinking the other day that when we first "met", H was around 15 or so ~ and my Luke was a baby. Time flies!:blink:

Can we have known each other that long, Colleen? I mean, in some ways you, and the others from TD/LP seem to have been my friends forever. And yet can our kids have changed so much??

I swear I will learn how to post pictures so I can show off my family at the wedding!!

Carrie