Menu

Omnibus v. ToG

SparrowsNest

I'm looking ahead -- way ahead, to year after next. Yes, I like to plan. ;)

I may have 3 children at home, and they will be at that time ds12 (6th/7th grade-ish), dd9 in 4th grade, and ds7 in 1st.

Is it unreasonable to do Omnibus with the oldest and ToG alongside for the younger ones, or should I rather use ToG for everyone? What would the oldest get from Omnibus that he would not get in ToG? Conversely, what would the oldest get from ToG which he would not get from Omnibus? If Omnibus does offer something ToG does not, is the trade-off of having everyone 'on the same page' worth it overall?

Thanks for any insight. :)

This is where I'm at, too. Except my third child will be 2nd grade and I'll have a dd in K/1st (depending how next year goes)

So, I'll be interested in reading replies. I've been looking at TOG for a couple years thinking I would use it when my kids are older. Now I have a friend using Omnibus and it looks really good too.

Honestly, I'd just save Omnibus for high school, and do TOG logic stage with your oldest. IMO, 12 is way too young for the reading in Omnibus.

You can wait, and by that time, perhaps you can use the Omnibus books that will be coming out for grades 10-12. But I have to tell you, I think the current Omnibus (for 7-9) is plenty. PLENTY.

What I did was supplement the history by having ds read more of Spielvogel. Worked fine.

Let your 12 year old read the TOG stuff.

I use Omnibus

Julie in GA, :wave: I'm in GA, too. Your oldest is 13 and you're in Omnibus II? How's that going?

IMO, 12 is way too young for the reading in Omnibus.

I thought it was geared to the middle school years? It is very unlikely I'd have him home for high school, so I can't save it for then. :(

One thing I've learned is that there is a difference in the main focus. Omnibus focuses on the Great Books and gives some historical background reading however the history is more or less assumed. Since it is sold by VP it helps to look at their curriculum for younger kids. Kids that do follow all the VP curriculum WILL have a strong background in history already, so they won't need it in detail once they reach Omnibus. So what I've been told is if your kids have not done that time-period at all, then they should hold off on Omni till they have had some exposure to it.

Now TOG, on the other hand, teaches history. It seems to be their main focus. TOG's schedule IS based on the needs of a high schooler first, and then, based on that they put together work for dialectic and grammar stage kids so all are working on the same main threads. With TOG you will also get related literature readings. I think in the classic the choices weren't always "the great books" but I think I've heard that the redesign does include "the great books" or at least some of them. The redesign also includes lit analysis so you will get that also.

I have yr 2 TOG classic but never got too far with it. There are soo many choices and things to do that we got lost in the "fog" that they warn you about. I'll be seeing the redesign tomorrow night at a Tapestry Tea. I hear that is much easier to use. Now I've taken a look at Omnibus's online samples and they seem very easy to use... which is why I've been drawn to it. I'll probably end up doing none of them as we are so off schedule that I might just do my own thing to catch up.

hope this helped some.

Ok...I hope Karen doesn't mind this! I saved this comparison post of hers.

I have used both TOG and Omnibus I, we are only using TOG this year. Here is a comparison I did a while back:

TOG - History program with great books study.

Omnibus - Great books of Western Civilization study with history readings optionally scheduled.

Who comes out on top (IMHO):

History - TOG

Literature - TOG (Redesign only), although Omnibus is quite good, compared to Classic TOG I give the nod to Omnibus. The rhetoric literature program in Redesign is very meaty, students complete analysis weekly and keep an ongoing file of literary terms that they should be quizzed on.

Writing - Toss-up. Omnibus has lots of writing assignments to choose from including progymnasmata. It doesn't have much writing instruction though (assumes you have learned essay writing and such from IEW I guess.) TOG's writing does a very good job of teaching writing using contemporary methods and you may purchase Writing Aids which includes instruction for teacher and student, samples, organizers, grading rubics.

Socratic Discussion - Tie. I think both to a very good job with teacher prompts and asking good questions.

Worldview - TOG. Omnibus discusses cultural and Biblical views, but since it's limited to the books contained in Omnibus, rather than world history like TOG, I think some areas are covered more in-depth in TOG. With Omnibus you will discuss the ideas of people like Darwin (while reading Livy) but it assumes you already know what those ideas are. TOG has student read portions of Origin of Species and it also has the Pageant of Philosophy pages (narrative written by Marcia Somerville's husband that has a character named Simplico who meets various thinkers throughout the ages. Included in all 4 year plans).

Government/Law - TOG. Again, because TOG covers more cultures in history there can be more discussion brought in. I do like what I have seen of Omnibus' questions about government.

Geography - TOG. There are some map projects included in Omnibus.

Church History - TOG

Fine Art - TOG. Omnibus has some interesting picture studies.

Theology - Omnibus

TOG Credits:

History - 1

English - 1 (using their suggestion to pick a vocabulary book and grammar from Shurley 7 or a foreign language such as Latin). Or 1/2 credit literature and 1/2 credit grammar & composition.

Church History/Bible Survey - 1 credit

Worldview/Philosophy - 1/4 credit

Government - 1/2 credit.

Art History - 1/4 credit

Omnibus Credits (I spoke to a consultant on the phone):

History: 1 credit (with the Spielvogel text)

Literature: 1 credit

Theology: 1 credit

~ This is if you do all the readings (primary and secondary).

If your goal is to focus more on history then maybe TOG is for you; if you want to focus more on great books then perhaps Omnibus. I really like them both very much, but ultimately I chose TOG because it does a very good job at both educating my children and holding my hand and it makes my life easier because all three of my sons are studying the same topics (usually).

HTH,

Karen

If your goal is to focus more on history then maybe TOG is for you; if you want to focus more on great books then perhaps Omnibus. I really like them both very much, but ultimately I chose TOG because it does a very good job at both educating my children and holding my hand and it makes my life easier because all three of my sons are studying the same topics (usually).

...and this was what I needed to know. THANK YOU! I really appreciate it.