Menu

Can a jellyfish get the flu?

My daughter has come up with the "stump Mom" question of the day. She wants to know: "Can a jellyfish get the flu?"

I have no idea. Google isn't helping. Do we have any marine biology people who could answer?

She is 11 and thinks she would like to become a marine biologist someday, with these kinds of questions she just might!

Thank you!

I don't think so either. The fact that jellyfish don't have lungs makes it unlikely to cause issues with their lungs. But I imagine that there are other jellyfish viruses...

Maybe we will get a for sure answer...

I am glad to know there are other children who like to play "Stump Mom".

Probably not. Influenza was previously thought to only infect vertebrates, although there is some recent evidence that insects (mosquitos, blowflies) can be infected.

In order to infect an animal, the influenza virus needs to infect a cell with a sialic acid receptor. These cells are found mainly in the respiratory tract in mammals, but in the gastrointestinal tract in birds. I don't know if jellyfish have sialic acid receptors, but they don't have specialized respiratory or digestive systems, so I think it would be unlikely. But I doubt if anyone has ever looked, so I wouldn't want to say a definite no.

Since the natural reservoir for all influenza viruses is wild waterfowl (ducks, shorebirds) it would be interesting to know whether marine animals inhabiting those ecosystems are infected.

I don't think so either. The fact that jellyfish don't have lungs makes it unlikely to cause issues with their lungs. But I imagine that there are other jellyfish viruses...

I don't know anything about jellyfish, but viruses can infect any cell, including bacteria, so I'm sure jellyfish have some sort of infections. I'll bet the answer's in here somewhere. :001_smile:

Zoonotic illnesses are those that can be transmitted between humans and animals (other vertebrates). Here is an interesting discussion of this.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis

In some cases, invertebrates are the vector/mechanism by which the illnesses are actually transferred from the host to the new victim. They carry it but don't get infected with it themselves.

I used to be a marine biologist and I have never heard of any illnesses crossing over from jellyfish to humans, other than the normal bacterial yucky stuff which is more of a function of the bacterial organism than the jellyfish. However, I have seen instances of various marine invertebrates and reptiles getting their own viruses. We were always advised to proceed with the assumption that it WAS zoonotic because so little was known about what could be transmitted back and forth.

Sea turtles have had a problem with a papilloma virus in the last 20 years or so and dolphins have had a problem with a virus called erisipelas, which is one that humans can catch and is called erisipeloid in humans. HTH