Menu

So I understand that College Algebra is Alg. 3....

I was going to put my daughter in it at the community college for a SAT review b/c I thought it would be like a review for Alg. 1/2. She will be taking the SAT in the Spring and it's a one semester class. Now I'm thinking I should have her take another math at the cc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think it makes sense to take Alg. 3. She really benefits from a classroom setting so the cc works best for her.

Thx,

Whitney

Watch the wording of the class...

My oldest dd is signed up for College Mathematics or 'College Math' next semester. This course reviews Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and tosses in a bit of Geometry and business applications. This would be a good course for B to take.

College Algebra is the first part of a Pre-Calc course. Pre-Calc can be a one semester course or it can be taken in 2 semesters--one College Algebra and the other Trig.

Adding to the confusion--Basic College Mathematics is a Pre-Algebra level course... when in doubt ask the counselor!

Jann

My oldest daughter took Algebra 1 and Geometry on Florida Virtual School and them moved straight to College Algebra at the community college.

Her math scores on the placement test would have allowed her to start in Pre-Calc, but we had her step back a level for College Algebra. She went on to take Pre-Calc, Calc 1 and Calc 2 from the community college before graduating high school. She said most of the College Algebra was review and she probably would have been ok in Pre-Calc but was glad we did it the way we did so she could have a semester to get used to college before taking a challenging course. She did say some of the other dual-enrollment kids were struggling.

It really depends on the school. Many schools have College Algebra be ALg. 2. The college I graduated from did not have College Algebra because everyone was supposed to do the equivalent in high school already. For freshman math they had a few levels of calculus and a remedial type math for people who weren[t up to calculus yet. The few I knew who were in that were all humanities majors. Any other majors had to have calculus, I believe.

FYI: At our cc (which FL has standardized all through the U system) college level classes start w/Statistics, Intermediate Alg, & Math for Liberal Arts. They all require the same min. ACT/SAT/placement score. Intem. Alg will not count as one of the 2 maths you need to get an AA (for U. transfer), but is the prep for College Alg. which req. a higher placement score.

FYI: At our cc (which FL has standardized all through the U system) college level classes start w/Statistics, Intermediate Alg, & Math for Liberal Arts. They all require the same min. ACT/SAT/placement score. Intem. Alg will not count as one of the 2 maths you need to get an AA (for U. transfer), but is the prep for College Alg. which req. a higher placement score.

It is interesting how standards differs from state to state. At our local community college, Intermediate Algebra (a traditional Algebra 2 course) is not a college level class. The others that you mentioned - Statistics and a math for Liberal Arts majors - as well as College Algebra (Algebra 3 in this case as this class plus Trigonometry use the same PreCalculus book) are the first college level math classes.

Regards,

Kareni

It is interesting how standards differs from state to state. At our local community college, Intermediate Algebra (a traditional Algebra 2 course) is not a college level class. The others that you mentioned - Statistics and a math for Liberal Arts majors - as well as College Algebra (Algebra 3 in this case as this class plus Trigonometry use the same PreCalculus book) are the first college level math classes.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, at our community college College Algebra and Pre-Calc used the same book. First half of book for College Algebra, second half for Pre-Calc. I had my daughter look at the book before we decided which class to start with. She said most topics in the first half were familiar but she was comfortable starting from the beginning. We were cautious the first semester because a grade lower that C or dropping a course mid-semester disqualifies the student from further no-tuition dual enrollment.

Using the same book for two semesters was fantastic because the State of Florida gives free tuition for dual enrollment students but you have to buy your own textbooks. Yeouch!:glare: Most semesters cost at least $350 in books alone.