Menu

Latin Prep users - how to learn vocabulary

scrapbabe

We used LFC A before and I liked that it had daily chants. Now we're using Latin Prep and I'm wondering how to study the vocabulary. I realize we could make up our own chants - but was wondering how others were memorizing the vocabulary.

Shalynn

Did you like LFC? How does it compare to LP?

I still trying to decide on a Latin curriculum;)

As a first timer learning latin along side my son - I really liked LFC. I thought the teacher was a little quirky, but we found it humorous. He's pretty droll. I liked that someone else did the teaching so I didn't have to figure it all out. We really enjoyed the daily chanting and have retained most of the vocabulary words and conjugations that we learned. It was mostly about vocabulary though. Not a lot of focus on reading and writing latin. The only downside to me was that I have two other boys who need my time, and the days we watched the DVD just took too much of my time. If I'd have let my son do it alone - that wouldn't have been a problem.

Latin Prep has less focus on the vocabulary, and has you instantly translating words and sentences from Latin to English and from English to Latin. My 12 year old and I are doing it together and it is challenging but in a really fun way. I'm having more fun and working my brain more with Latin Prep. But I'm glad I did LFC first to give me a bit of a needed nudge. We didn't finish LFC - but moved right into Latin Prep. I miss my chanting though.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Kelsy,

So you just created your own flashcards? I noticed there's a set on the Galore Park website.

Shalynn

I bought the cards for Hobbes - they are really nice. They give the four pps, as well as some English words derived from the words. You do have to arrange them by chapter - they are only marked by year/book - but that's what children are for.

Laura

I am using Latin Prep and So You Really Want to Learn Latin Bk 1 with my boys. I am also making up flashcards as we go. One thing I am doing (I can't remember where I read that this is a good thing) is putting all relevant info on the cards.

For example, when I make up the cards for nouns I do as follows:

On one side I print: puella, -ae (f.)

On the other side: girl

For verbs, I list the principle parts:

On one side: amo/ amare/ amavi/ amatum

On the other side: I love/ to love/ I have loved/ in order to love

We do flashcards with: pronunciation aids and irregular forms clearly marked; four principle parts of verbs, etc.; occasionally a Latin phrase containing the word; and English cognates. Vocabulary is learned for the chapter upcoming so it's down cold before we start.