Menu

HELP! Latin curriculum questions....

kaylk in tx

We'll be finishing up Song School Latin soon. Three boys, ages 9, 8, and 8. The 9yo has language delays which is why I went with SSL for all of them. But now he's starting to notice how the vocabulary words end and getting curious about that so I think he's ready for something meatier.

We'll need something incrementally laid out.... we don't do well with frustration (me or them!). Something that provides LOTS of repetition, LOTS of review. Nothing fancy; we're a "just the facts" kind of family. So far I've been debating:

Lively Latin

Latin for Children

Getting Started with Latin

Any input from those who have BTDT would be greatly appreciated! I've actually been thinking about this for about a year and seem to be no closer to a decision than when I started!

I use Lively Latin with my 8 yo ds. He really enjoys it. He started when he was 6 and we've taken it very slowly. It is very incremental and there is review built into the various exercises. You can take the program as slow or fast as you need/want and your 8 yo sons can probably do it right along with your 9yo without any modification on your part.

There is a Roman history section that is a part of the program, but not necessarily integral to the instruction. My son loves Roman history; so, we don't skip that part. You could, if you wanted to, I suppose. There is also a Derivative exercise in many of the lessons -- this is basically a word roots type exercise.

I think LL has been wonderful for my son and I plan on starting my dd6 in it very soon. I have no experience with any of the other programs. Good luck in your choice.

We used Song School Latin for 2nd grade, LFC A in 3rd grade, and are currently using LFC B for 4th grade. This has been a good choice for us. We have enjoyed learning the vocabulary and chants from the DVD's and CD's.

I highly recommend using this grammar book from Galore Park starting about half way through LFC A: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=+Latin+Practice+Exercises+Level+1+&search=%3CSPAN%3E%3CEM%3EFind%26nbsp%3Bbook%3C%2FEM%3E%3C%2FSPAN%3E. This is a great way to reinforce the grammar taught in LFC and most of the vocabulary is covered in LFC. Brief grammatical information accompanies the exercises. The exercises have you translating Latin-English and English-Latin. Also, starting with chapter 5 there are short stories in Latin to read.

I have never felt that LFC moves to quickly but it would be easy to slow the pace down if needed. Each lesson could be spread over two weeks instead of one.

Edited by kckamy

I was looking at Getting Started but most of the comments/reviews mentioned middle school/ high school. Would it move into complicated material too quickly for elementary aged kids?

Between GSWL & LfC, I would recommend GSWL. It provides plenty of repetition, it gives one new concept or vocab word a day, and the lessons have plenty of white space. I really think it's a great introduction for any age.

I don't think LfC has the kind of repetition or review you're looking for.

Between GSWL & LfC, I would recommend GSWL. It provides plenty of repetition, it gives one new concept or vocab word a day, and the lessons have plenty of white space. I really think it's a great introduction for any age.

I don't think LfC has the kind of repetition or review you're looking for.

I have to disagree. The repetition and review is built into each week. We do Latin daily because I believe to learn a new language you need lots of repetition and practice. LfC has 10 vocab words a week.

If you follow the author's suggestion:

Day 1 you watch the DVD and review the new vocab

Day 2 you would review vocab (using the chant cd) and one activity from the activity book

Day 3 practice chant and do worksheet or activity book page

Day 4 practice chant again and do whichever you didn't do previous day

Day 5 do weekly quiz.

Starting week 16 there is also the history reader that you can integrate into your week and do the translations and history study.

That is a lot of repetition. There is so much available in the full packet that I sometimes don't do all the activities - just depends on the kind of week we are having and how much practice I feel we need. Once a week at least I run myself and my son through all of the chants up to the point we are as an added review.

Also, every four chapters LfC has a review week to go back over the previous chapters and integrates alot more derivative words. We don't have to do a separate vocabulary study at my house, I feel that the vocabulary in LfC is more than sufficient.

I tried Prima Latina and wasn't happy with the quality of the materials and I looked alot at Lively Latin because of the reviews but I really didn't want to deal with printing out a book or having my kids spending more time on the computer (that is already a struggle here). For the price I really have been satisfied with LfC.

Good luck with making your decision!

I use LFC. I think it has quite a bit of repetition. My 4 year old walks around singing the chants! He has even learned many words (even though he isn't the one using the program).

The student I am using it for is 7. I have adapted it a tad by spending more than one week per lesson. I figure we aren't any any sort of a hurry so we take our time with it and have fun. He loves it.

So does my three year old - it's hilarious hearing him do the Amo conjugation chant or songs from SSL. He does this out in public, I only occasionally get a weird look. :D

Same here! It's hilarious.

Playing with the Thomas the Train setup at Toys R Us my three year starts singing "Quid est tuum praenomen, quid est tuum praenomen..." he's been delayed in his speech and some motor issues, you can't believe how good such a small thing feels to the mom!

I am using Lively Latin, though I am only using with my oldest. You can work in as much review as needed, just print off an old sheet and have them do it again. My oldest was going very slowly and we would review vocab daily, which is an option for you. She just did one story, exercise or page of what ever a day. She is up to chapter 13...I think and is doing well with it. She is doing it mostly independently, but I do try to stay ahead of her, so I can answer questions if needed (shhh right now I am on 10 or 11, so I need to get to work).

Heather

what is LFC? Is it Latin for Children? We have used Latin Expressions, but looking for something that is not just a workbook. Would love something that could be used with multiple ages too

LfC = Latin for Children with levels A, B, C. The primer is Songschool Latin. All from Classical Academic Press.

I have to disagree. The repetition and review is built into each week. We do Latin daily because I believe to learn a new language you need lots of repetition and practice. LfC has 10 vocab words a week.

If you follow the author's suggestion:

Day 1 you watch the DVD and review the new vocab

Day 2 you would review vocab (using the chant cd) and one activity from the activity book

Day 3 practice chant and do worksheet or activity book page

Day 4 practice chant again and do whichever you didn't do previous day

Day 5 do weekly quiz.

Starting week 16 there is also the history reader that you can integrate into your week and do the translations and history study.

That is a lot of repetition. There is so much available in the full packet that I sometimes don't do all the activities - just depends on the kind of week we are having and how much practice I feel we need. Once a week at least I run myself and my son through all of the chants up to the point we are as an added review.

Also, every four chapters LfC has a review week to go back over the previous chapters and integrates alot more derivative words. We don't have to do a separate vocabulary study at my house, I feel that the vocabulary in LfC is more than sufficient.

I tried Prima Latina and wasn't happy with the quality of the materials and I looked alot at Lively Latin because of the reviews but I really didn't want to deal with printing out a book or having my kids spending more time on the computer (that is already a struggle here). For the price I really have been satisfied with LfC.

Good luck with making your decision!

I would agree that LfC is a good program, and the chants are the highlight (we finished LfC A last year and we still listen to the chants) :001_smile:.

But I would also say that GSWL provides more review of using what is learned (through the translation of 10 sentences every day), and is more incremental than LfC since it introduces only one new concept a day.

I would agree that LfC is a good program, and the chants are the highlight (we finished LfC A last year and we still listen to the chants) :001_smile:.

But I would also say that GSWL provides more review of using what is learned (through the translation of 10 sentences every day), and is more incremental than LfC since it introduces only one new concept a day.

I'm curious if you got or tried the portion using the Latin History Read "Libellus de Historia"? We aren't quite there yet but my impression is that it's point is daily translation. We are completing week 10 in Primer A and have already translated sentences, but just starting in the last two-three weeks. I don't have as many years of experience with homeschool as others, so just sharing my limited experience. :)