Menu

Would you eat this? Sour cream with exp. date of ....

Guest janainaz

I won't use anything past the exp. date. I was cleaning out my refrigerator and found a container that was a month expired and it seemed perfect when I opened it, but I just won't take the risk.

Has it been opened?

If so, then definitely not.

If not, then if when you open it it doesn't have mold, then it's probably fine. I think that a lot of expiration dates are there to make people buy more.

However, I personally would throw it away.

You can definitely use sour cream way past it's date, as long as it hasn't been opened. It just might taste a little stronger than normal sour cream. I always buy a few containers when it goes on sale and, invariably, there is always one that gets opened past the date. My husband always had to convince me that it's not going to kill anyone and he's always right.

I use sour cream all the time past the due date. Mix it up really good and it's like new : )

I have a yummy cornbread recipe that calls for a lot of sour cream. Since I make the cornbread fairly often I stock up on sour cream. I always put the oldest cream in my cornbread (because it's being cooked) and use the newest cream for things like tacos and baked potatoes.