Menu

For those of you over 40, how do you choose between your face and your....

Guest Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds

hind end? I would like to lose about ten pounds that showed up out of absolutely nowhere and, of course, they are on my back side. :glare: I also don't want to look drawn. Choices, choices. I think it was either Meryl Streep or Kathleen Turner that said you will have to make that choice one day. I just didn't think it would be so soon. :D

I don't think most women look worse when they are thinner in the face. I think most women look better thinner in both the face and the body. I know that's probably not true of all women, but most thin women who look "drawn" would do better remedying with hair help and make-up rather than weight gain.

That's just my opinion, and I know it's going to vary person to person.

And I don't mean "painfully thin." There is a limit!

Zsa Zsa Gabor said it..."As a woman, you have to choose between your fanny or your face. I chose my face."

I don't know if it is true. But the only time a woman of my age (45) or older looks worse thin to me is when she is stringy thin. Besides, I think the face fills out after a while with weight loss. Of course, everyone is different. If you lose 5 or 10 pounds and your face looks drawn then you can deal with it. But unless you are already borderline too thin, I wouldn't think 10 pounds would make a huge difference!

In fact, I think the "drawn" look is more likely to affect older women who lose a LOT of weight.

Susu

I'm over 50 and recently lost a few pounds. My face is thinner as is my neck. (My skin wants to crinkle now. I've spent my life in the sun. Sigh.)

You know what? I'm getting 'you look fabulous' comments.

You can always fluff your hair differently or change your makeup to help your face. Losing fat means a possibly longer and healthier LIFE. I'd much rather be a 'drawn' old lady than a less wrinkled dead one. ;)

I have recently lost about 20 lbs and my neck does look weird-skinny to me but my face isn't really drawn looking (I am 40, went from 152 to 132, I am 5'7"). I got a new shorter haircut and lightened my hair a lot. I cut out most sweets and eat more healthy meals so I feel better and have more energy, so even if I did look drawn, it would be worth it!

Sweaters that I wore last year are "hanging" better on me now, and I think losing the weight generally made me look less "matronly" overall. So to me I think it was worth it to lose that matronly look.

Now if I had more wrinkles on my face than I do, like if I were 50, I could see what you're talking about because I have seen that drawn look on people, but it was mainly painfully thin older women, not healthy thin women. I don't think 10 lbs would do it at all.

I don't think most women look worse when they are thinner in the face. I think most women look better thinner in both the face and the body. I know that's probably not true of all women, but most thin women who look "drawn" would do better remedying with hair help and make-up rather than weight gain.

That's just my opinion, and I know it's going to vary person to person.

And I don't mean "painfully thin." There is a limit!

I'm with you. I recently lost weight on the divorce diet and although I do see more wrinkles in my face I much prefer to be thin. And yes there is a limit. I am 5'6" and got down to 112.....too thin. I'm up to 120 and feel great. Just gotta figure out how to stay at that weight.

Hmmm. In my experience, fit and healthy people don't look drawn. They have a nice color in their faces, and have toned, youthful looking bodies.

However, there was a guy who just came back from Iraq at our church this Sunday--he'd lost weight and did look drawn. I think it was a function of the way he lost the weight, tho.

Guest Cindie2dds
Zsa Zsa Gabor said it..."As a woman, you have to choose between your fanny or your face. I chose my face."

Susu

Wow, I was way off. :) I think I'll choose my fanny. I like the word too! ;)

I think most women in their 40's are not going to look "drawn" unless they are going underweight or they lose their weight in an unhealthy way. Eat healthy, take vitamins, and most importantly exercise. A great fanny is made in the gym! Great skin is made in the kitchen. And you can always gain it back if you don't like the way your face looks! :D

FTR, I don't think all women look better thin. I personally don't care for "thin". Dh does not find it attractive at all. So, I'll never be thin, but I do try to be healthy. Thin is a relative term. To me it conjures up images of these emaciated hollywood starlets. Not a good look, imo. All the women on "Desperate Housewives" would look MUCH better and YOUNGER if they gained a few!

FTR, I don't think all women look better thin. I personally don't care for "thin". Dh does not find it attractive at all. So, I'll never be thin, but I do try to be healthy. Thin is a relative term. To me it conjures up images of these emaciated hollywood starlets. Not a good look, imo. All the women on "Desperate Housewives" would look MUCH better and YOUNGER if they gained a few!

Now see....I think Terry Hatcher looks great! I always look at her because years ago a friend told me I look like her---back when she was playing Lois Lane..Later she told me it isn't that I LOOK like her so much but rather have her....energy. LOL