Menu

What to buy FIL and his wife for Christmas for around $30?

DH didn't actually meet his father till he was about 18 years old. They live about 3 hours away from us, so we do not really have a close relationship with them. We see them maybe twice a year for a few hours each time. They are nice people, not religious, had good jobs till FIL got laid off a few months ago. So they have everything they really NEED. We usually just get them a gift card. Sometimes we do framed photos of the kids too. But the GC's are so impersonal. Yet we are not close enough to them to know them too personally. I'd like to get them something unique that they can actually use. After FIL married his wife (about 7 years ago) we got them a name plaque for their home. Not sure if they use it or not since we never go to their home.

Any ideas?

We do gift cards for a lot of family, but to make it more personal, we add it to a bag of homemade goodies: candy, gingerbread, body scrub or lotion, soap or candles. This year we are going to try to make coasters out of self-hardening clay with either a Bible verse or their last initial on them (supposedly this is very easy using rubber stamps-we'll see). It's a great way to get my daughter involved and we have a lot of fun doing it. We have a couple of cooking days and make tons of stuff, then fill baskets with just the goodies for church folks & friends, then add gift cards for close family members. Oh, last year, I took a really beautiful painting my daughter did and made reduced-sized copies for book marks. This year we are going to make some of those stretchy bookmarks with beads on them. We also found some cute notepads and magnets at Michael's in the dollar bins that we added. The whole basket cost less than $10 (I didn't count the food), so you could do something like that and a $20 gift card to their favorite restaurant.

Can you sew? We're making cloth napkins for family members. They're very easy - just a bit time consuming. We're going to make napkin rings (do a google search - there are tons of ideas) and personalized coasters (again - do a google search). I'm going to organize them nicely in a gift basket with a bottle of wine or vinegar/olive oil or nice pastas, etc. You get the idea. It's been time consuming, but I have 6 families to do this for!!

Or, you could always go with something Disney-themed! :lol::lol:

I would send them something from Harry & David or another mail order place. If they have any health/eating issues, I would see if H&D still have their baby veggie basket. There is a cookie place Cheryl & Co that I like, but I think it is more just the midwest. You want to take into consideration shipping when ordering, because that could limit your choices.

Another thing depending on their likes and dislikes, we giving really good steaks. We have a local meat store were you can get very high quality meat. Two Delmonico steaks and a bottle of steak sauce.

I think older people who probably have all the stuff they need, it is nice to give them some really good food. Whether that is a gift basket or meat or a gift certificate to a restaurant.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I wonder if DH will hint around about what type of magazines they subscribe to. However, that will seem sort of odd to FIL because they do not usually talk about things like that.

I also thought of a cookie bouquet....wonder if they would like that?

We've done the snapfish books before, but I'm not sure if I have the time to put one together this year.....I usually start doing that in early October. I'll have to see.

I would send them something from Harry & David or another mail order place. If they have any health/eating issues, I would see if H&D still have their baby veggie basket. There is a cookie place Cheryl & Co that I like, but I think it is more just the midwest. You want to take into consideration shipping when ordering, because that could limit your choices.

Another thing depending on their likes and dislikes, we giving really good steaks. We have a local meat store were you can get very high quality meat. Two Delmonico steaks and a bottle of steak sauce.

I think older people who probably have all the stuff they need, it is nice to give them some really good food. Whether that is a gift basket or meat or a gift certificate to a restaurant.

I love this idea! If FIL is out of work, they might appreciate a nice dinner or food basket that they wouldn't get for themselves.