Menu

Questions about Kindergarten Math

We have horizons and It's kinda not working for us....My daughter can get through the work book fine but i just don't think she's really retaining what she's learning. Everyday we have to tell her the same things and I don't know if she's just playing the "I don't know game" or if it's really not clicking for her. I want her to have a firm foundation of math fundamentals and i just don't think this is helping. The Teachers manual is no help at all and I just wanted to know what other methods i could use to help her get it. She really likes math now and i just don't want to turn her off of it! Thanks for all your suggestions to come!!

Well, you know, everything that is taught to little 5yo dc is taught again the next year, and the next...If you like Horizons overall, you could just stick with it, because she'll get it again.

I like R&S, myself; it doesn't have kindergarten (R&S considers everything before first grade to be pre-school), but some people go ahead and start and either move slowly or add the blackline masters (or both).

Dd doesn't like math much, so if she's not in the mood she'll goof off, make "silly" numbers, say she's too tired, guess instead of answer, etc. So we use multiple forms of math instead of making her do the workbooks a lot--we use Singapore EB maybe once or twice a week but then we use dominoes, Cuisinaire rods, cooking, have an abacus on the way, etc.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I know the TM does say something about them not being expected to get it right away but throughout the year it will go over the stuff multiple times.

I cover the topics in the TM (teach such and such, review this that and the other .. although I realize it hardly, if at all, explains HOW to teach or review the stuff so you need to be creative there) before moving on to the work pages which I don't actually have but I reproduce the activities either on a white board or with manipulatives which has been more engaging for my son. Maybe it's something you could try too. I just know that reading that part about them not being expected to "get it" right away really helped me relax.

But of course .. it depends on just how much she's 'not getting it' I guess. I know my son also acts like I'm speaking German at times but I usually know when he's doing it because it's usually with something he's demonstrated his understanding in abundantly in the past.

Sorry I can't be of more help :-/

I know she will get it at some point but when she says she doen't know what 3+3 is and has to sit and thinks about it(wiggling her lose tooth, drumming onthe table, playing with her hair, ect.) Then a day later says "There are 6 chicken wings so can I have three and my sister have three?" It just kinda just makes me crazy..and makes me think am i pushing her too hard or not hard enough??? I sometimes just walk away from her at that point because it's kind of annoying and just let her go play or something. I just want her to have a better foundation in math than I did so she won't be afraid of it or think that she can't be good at....maybe I'm just looking for more fun things because the workbooks are good but i would rather use them as follow up!!! I don't know!

We did horizons K bk 1 for prek. My ds did well with it, but I felt it moved kind of fast and thought it needed to develop the concepts better. We have switched over to Abeka 1st grade math for K. I really like it. It moves a little slower than Horizons and if you follow the Home Curriculum guide, it develops the concepts really well. My ds really likes it. He actually told me he loves math the other day. So we plan to stick with this up through at least 3rd grade math. It seems people switch at that point we'll see when we get there if we are going to switch as well.

Well, your daughter is very young still to expect her to get everything that is being taught. She is just starting math and I think the best way to cement information to young kids is to play games and use a lot of manipulatives. Apply math in everyday occurrence at home. Don't worry too much about curriculum at this point. You have enough time to review lessons and if you do this in consistent manner she will eventually get it.

I think it's developmentally appropriate at this age for them to know the answers sometimes and in some contexts but not in all times/all contexts. We are using Singapore, last year when we did Earlybird math they introduced math facts to 5 and dd did the same thing that you are describing. We reviewed them recently in 1a and she knew them all immediately and had little problem learning her addition facts to 10. I think it's just their minds getting used to the new concepts. Like other posters said, everything she is learning now will be reviewed and taught in more depth next year, so I wouldn't worry too much. :001_smile:

I really think that at that age - numbers on a page are still kind of abstract. I'd do the addition with manipulatives - teddy bear counters, frogs on a log, stuffed animals, a tea set, m&m's, an abacus, blocks, rocks, lots of things besides numbers on a page. Have you read the Ruth Beechick book , An Easy Start in Arithmetic? Also there is a cool book, Marshmellow Math that my library has that is full of mathmematical games and activities. And here is SWB's cool outline of a talk on Academic excellence in K-4. It has a nice section on K and ideas for math for that age.

And one more article - Math and the Young Child from the Right Start people.

Edited by Karen in CO

I just started k math with Monkey, and we're using Math Expressions, which uses a lot of manipulative, and a lot of hands-on, relevant to kids sorts of scenarios, drawings & things in the kindergarten level to lay the foundation for later stuff. I've blogged about some of the stuff we're doing here, here, and here. We're just barely starting, so it's pretty basic, and I didn't actually have the teacher's book for some of those activities, I'd looked at the one my Mom uses in her k class & memorized as much as I could of the first 2 lessons.

Math Expressions deals with early math differently from what I remember math being when I was learning, and Mom says it's quite different from other curriculum she's seen and used in PS. They focus a lot on developing math language skills, and an "algebraic approach" to word problems - that is, they don't always have the kids solve for the "answer," sometimes they need to figure out a "partner." 1 + __ = 3. The k level has a huge focus on finding partners in a number, sequencing & patterning, it introduces story problems early on, they include physical activities, and ideas for doing math with different styles of learning, and I just like it. It's heavily researched as well, which is a plus in my book. And the manipulatives look like most are easily reproduced in felt for use on our felt board, which Monkey enjoys, and I like it because that's cheap education! A few things I will likely print on cardstock and either post on the wall somewhere (like the 100 chart), or put in a small binder or something. Like I said, we're just starting it, and I'm still figuring out some of the adaptations we need for it not being a PS and Monkey being a non-writer still. The non-writing is definitely the more difficult!

Part of what I like is that the k level is easily adapted to games (what isn't games-y already), and that's perfect for us because Monkey is a bit young for formal work, but is doing great with the concepts. He cried today when I decided that he wasn't concentrating and doing his best so it was time to put away our math stuff. Full on tantrum, silly boy! Who ever heard of throwing a tantrum over the end of math??:tongue_smilie:

Interestingly, the encourage finger-counting. They say it's a "natural manipulative" and typically a child's first.

Edited by Ritsumei

Plus there's always the motivation issue at that age. The Sponge didn't want to do math today, so she was "too tired" to do the matching/counting of "2 is how many less than 5" and after 3/4 page we stopped. Then she asked for a piece of her Halloween candy and I said she had to answer a math problem first--what's 5 take away 2? That got an almost immediate "3" with no finger counting. I didn't know she even knew that one without counting something physical, but for candy, she let out all the stops :lol:

Buy Miquon Teacher's materials. Read them through. Meanwhile, let dd PLAY with the Cuisennairre rods. JUST PLAY.

If you can get your hands on a geoboard & rubber bands, a simple balance and some kind of counters (teddy bears, checkers, white rods, etc.....), legos, measuring cups/spoons, ruler....... put a few things out on the table at a time when she will be happy to explore and just let her go.

This is what I call "informal math." I too tried Horizons in K and wondered how ds could get through the lessons w/o learning a bit of it!:confused: I put it away and really just let him play with math manipulatives - especially C.Rods - and then started Singapore 1A when he turned 6yo. He FLEW through it!!! He is still understanding concepts at a pretty high level imho in the context of the C Rods....most of our presenting new material is explaining it with rods and letting the boy roll with it.

I know lots of people like Horizons...it didn't work for my ds6, and he's quick with math. Then again, I dropped it not b/c he couldn't fill in the blanks, but b/c he didn't apply the info. I'd rather see understanding and application first, writing and mastering the symbolic numerals will come with time.

MEP math is excellent and free, but play with C Rods first....and keep finding moments like the dividing of chicken tenders LOL!

Guest Cindie2dds
We have horizons and It's kinda not working for us....My daughter can get through the work book fine but i just don't think she's really retaining what she's learning. Everyday we have to tell her the same things and I don't know if she's just playing the "I don't know game" or if it's really not clicking for her. I want her to have a firm foundation of math fundamentals and i just don't think this is helping. The Teachers manual is no help at all and I just wanted to know what other methods i could use to help her get it. She really likes math now and i just don't want to turn her off of it! Thanks for all your suggestions to come!!

:grouphug: I know how you feel. We started off with Singapore EB last year and muddled through. Started with Miquon this year and didn't get it. Switched to RightStart, which I thought was great, but she couldn't stand it. Then we bought Miquon's Notes to Teacher and First Grade Diary and have found our groove. I hope you find something the two of you can enjoy!

I agree with what PP's are saying.

I do think it's wise to research several math programs and choose one that is sound, will work with your teaching style, and will work with your dc's learning style. There are a lot of good programs out there.

I knew Horizons would not work for us because the workbook pages are too distracting.

MUS is working well for my ds; he is very kinesthetic, so he loves the manipulatives. I think it is a great program.

Unfortunately, I know it will not work for my dd. She doesn't learn the same way. We will be using R&S for her. It also is a very sound program. Thankfully, R&S is an inexpensive program, and MUS has good resale value.

I understand it is common for families to use different math programs for different kids.

Just try to find a good fit for the both of you. Time is on your side right now. :-)

My dd is 4 going on 5 in a few months.

We do a lot of manipulatives. Here are some of the things we do:

For snacks I sometimes use an egg carton with the numbers 1-12 written in the bottom of each space. DD then likes to count out and place the correct number of Cheerios, raisins, and other finger foods into each spot.

We play with dice and add up various combinations of thrown die. We use dominoes--sometimes adding the dots on one side to the dots on the other side of the bar, sometimes putting them in order from least to most and vice versa.

Family chore math--place settings, number of potatoes I'll need for a recipe, how many socks are in 3 pairs, etc.

Count me as another big fan of using Cuisenaire Rods, and reading the 3 Miquon teachers books (add Miquon Orange while you're at it). The materials are very insightful, and practical, and help give a parent a good understanding of how children at this age learn, and how we as parents can creatively facilitate their learning. With, among other things, concrete methods of working/playing with math.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Guest Cindie2dds
Count me as another big fan of using Cuisenaire Rods, and reading the 3 Miquon teachers books (add Miquon Orange while you're at it). The materials are very insightful, and practical, and help give a parent an good understanding of how children at this age learn, and how we as parents can creatively facilitate their learning. With, among other things, concrete methods of working/playing with math.

Bill

:iagree:

If you choose to use Miquon to start with, the Notes to Teacher and First Grade Diary are as essential as the Lab Annotations, IMHO. So much so, we were considering dumping Miquon before we got them ~ thanks to Spy Car ~ :)

:iagree:

If you choose to use Miquon to start with, the Notes to Teacher and First Grade Diary are as essential as the Lab Annotations, IMHO. So much so, we were considering dumping Miquon before we got them ~ thanks to Spy Car ~ :)

:blushing:

Thank you Cindie :001_smile:

I know what these materials did for me and my son. So I'm happy we can share what we've discovered with others.

Bill