Menu

gift "basket" of art supplies - What specific items and brands would you include?

rafiki

We really like the Portfolio oil pastels. They are very good quality for a reasonable price. I purchased our sets through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-12ct-Oil-Pastels-Portfolio/dp/B00006IEFL/ref=pd_sbs_t_3. We liked the 12 count set so much that I also ordered the 24 count set. They are not messy and give a great look to my daughter's (9 1/2 yrs. old) art work.

I gave my dd a similar gift for Christmas when she was about 10. Huge, huge hit! I bought my stuff at Michael's with the 40% off coupons, at times buying a few Sunday papers for the add'l coupons. :001_smile:

I think Prismacolor brand is very good (dd recently got some of those) but Derwent also seems nice. If you have an art store nearby you could ask the folks there, or call them and buy online :tongue_smilie:.

How about an Etch A Sketch for the car? We are very artsy and this has been something the kids enjoy very much in the car. Also safer than pencils, etc.

Clay such as the oven bake Sculpey would be fun. My kids love it. Van Gogh acrylic paints are nice. Can be found at Hobby Lobby. Will need canvas though. Canvas panels are great for kids, come in multi packs and Hobby Lobby has the 40% off coupons so the price isn't terrible. Of course, then you need brushes! Isn't it never ending! But, fun!!!

Edited by jec3113

What about a small portable/lap easel he could take outside or to the art museum? If not an easel, maybe a nice clipboard or one of those clipboards that are mounted on top of a plastic box. You could fill the box with paper that fit the size of the clipboard.

What about a travel case for art supplies if he is going somewhere else to draw/paint.

Watercolor pencils are also fun and a change from straight watercolors.

Let us know what you decide on!

It sounds like he has a lot of great stuff already and wants to move towards more serious art supplies. How about some acrylic paints, brushes, and some high quality paper to go with it. Some blank canvases too.

The Prismacolor markers are fabulous, but very expensive. They have some sharpie type colored pen sets - I have a Bic brand one that I like and was inexpensive, if he is pretty responsible with the markers.

Guest Cindie2dds

Stockmar and Lyra are my favorites for colored pencils, crayons, painting. They aren't cheap, but the colors are amazing and they last forever.

What a great gift idea!