Menu

I suspect my 8 yo has dyslexia. How can I help improve his reading?

He completed OPGTR in K, without much difficulty, and seemed to read well that year, but he has made zero progress, and in fact, totally resists reading now when he used to love it. I'm not sure if he's dyslexic, evaluation scheduled, but his totally inability to spell, difficulty copying, horrible struggles with math, have pushed us to pursue a formal eval.

Meanwhile, how can I help him with reading? Rewards? Other programs or sites that anyone can recommend, or more info I need to find first?

Rewards is likely to be too difficult. Phonics for Reading was designed by one of the same people and follows a very similar format, but it starts at the very beginning. It's quite inexpensive. The teacher books run around $15 and the student books about $10 each (when you buy single copies).

They have changed the layout of the page and I think it's harder to figure out how to get to the lesson samples now.

Go the link below:

http://www.curriculumassociates.com/products/detail.asp?title=phonicsreading&topic=CR0&grade=&allgrade=&s=&single=1&partnum=&bk=ordernow&openPrefix=&lastOpenTable=0

Just above the red area that says "Click here to view pricing and buy", you'll see a pale colored box that says "download a sample". Click on the box and you'll see a list of samples. Choose one to see the sample.

Vision issues could be a problem. I'm not talking about farsightedness or nearsightedness. My dd had difficulties with tracking a moving object, sweeping her eyes from one spot to another, adjusting her focus from near to far or far to near, double vision, eye suppression, and loss of depth perception. She passed the eye chart test though. Six months of vision therapy corrected her visual efficiency issues, although she still had visual perception issues and was still dyslexic.

I looked at the I See Sam readers. Honestly, they look way too simplistic for him. He can read, but what concerns me is: can no longer decode longer words, resists reading more and more, spells horribly (but we are using AAS and I'm very happy with his progress in it), and seems to find reading anything longer than picture books too challenging.

I would have him evaluated by a developmental optometrist to rule out any vision issues (or not) in addition to the dyslexia evaluation.

I absolutely agree with this. My son was in occupational therapy and stopped making progress. He was struggling with any assignment that had a visual component. He could do math orally, for example, but if we put horizontal and vertical problems on the same page he would miss every one. Reading was at a standstill, handwriting was illegible... Someone here directed me to the website covd.org, specifically the page there that has signs and symptoms of vision problems. My son had every performace sign and physical symptom - I had just not put them all together before. I found my developmental optometrist thru the site as well. She found that he had 20/20 vision but had a terrible time tracking, had poor depth perception, and difficulty with convergence. His vision was so severe that the ed psych even wrote in her report that she didn't believe her scores were accurate due to vision problems.

After just 8 weeks of vision therapy my son made huge strides. Now, with the VT and a specialized reading tutor, he is nearing grade level and all areas of his academics are moving at an astounding speed-after 6 months!

I've posted a lot about vision problems and the need for vision therapy on my website, but recently someone asked me if I could sum up how to go about locating a vision therapy department and what questions to ask, so I added this page: Find a Vision Therapy Provider. You might find it useful. There's a vision questionnaire referenced there that you can check out as well.

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading