Menu

Why is my house making banging noises?

Last night I was awakened by a loud bang. I walked through the house, but couldn't find anything amiss, although my dd had been awakened by it also. So I knew I hadn't been dreaming. She thought someone had crashed into the house. Same thing happened at about 9:00 this morning. Again, I couldn't find anything. We are currently having wood floors installed throughout the house, so when the guys came this morning I asked if it could be related to anything they're doing. They didn't have any idea.

It just happened again. It was LOUD. Sounds like a bomb. All the furniture is out of the house, so nothing fell over. It's not the furnace.

Anybody ever had their house start making banging noises? It's freaking me out a little bit.

Could be hot water tank/pipes

I was right next to the furnace and water heater just now and it wasn't from that area. It was upstairs. And it was way louder than the banging you sometimes hear in pipes.

I just spent some time googling and it looks like this is common when the compressor on the fridge/freezer goes bad. I'll bet that's what it is. It sounds like it came from the kitchen.

Now I'm expecting my freezer to blow up. :001_huh:

I was right next to the furnace and water heater just now and it wasn't from that area. It was upstairs. And it was way louder than the banging you sometimes hear in pipes.

I just spent some time googling and it looks like this is common when the compressor on the fridge/freezer goes bad. I'll bet that's what it is. It sounds like it came from the kitchen.

Now I'm expecting my freezer to blow up. :001_huh:

That sucks. Mine went a couple years ago. Thankfully it was this time of year and I could keep my fridge stuff in a box on teh back steps to stay cold. It took a week before the landlord got me a new fridge.

It sounds like you may have figured it out, but have you checked outside for anything that could be hitting the house. A tree branch, loose shutter or something propped up against the wall?

No wind tonight or yesterday, no nearby trees.

Sounds more like an explosion than a thud. I think it sounds especially loud since all the carpet is gone, there's wood flooring everywhere with no furniture, and everything echoes.

No wind tonight or yesterday, no nearby trees.

Sounds more like an explosion than a thud. I think it sounds especially loud since all the carpet is gone, there's wood flooring everywhere with no furniture, and everything echoes.

Um, do me a favor and post on this thread when you get it figured out? Because I'd hate to think someone is trying to blow you up. You have been awfully vocal on certain threads.

Barb

A couple other things:

We occasionally get a bird building a nest in the vent for the stove. When it opens the louvers outside to get in, it will make a loud slamming noise.

At our old house, the exhaust hood had a flap of metal in it that worked like a damper (is it still called a damper?). We noticed that if we ran the exhaust fan for a long time, it would get stuck open. Then later in the night it would slam shut. Since the pipes are metal, it was very loud.

Another thought is that the water pipes in the floor will move around sometimes when they fill with water. Is it possible for one to be moving just enough to hit a board and the opening in the floor is amplifying the sound?

I don't know how long you've been in your house, but when we moved here we had the same problem - thought the house was going to fall down! It turned out to be our deck (10 feet off the ground, 4x6 supports) flexing in the cold. Every winter when the weather turns, out deck flexes and "pops" or bangs. It does sound like an explosion, or the house collapsing, or a car hitting the house. At least I know why the supports aren't cemented into the ground now:glare:.

I don't know how long you've been in your house, but when we moved here we had the same problem - thought the house was going to fall down! It turned out to be our deck (10 feet off the ground, 4x6 supports) flexing in the cold. Every winter when the weather turns, out deck flexes and "pops" or bangs. It does sound like an explosion, or the house collapsing, or a car hitting the house. At least I know why the supports aren't cemented into the ground now:glare:.

That is EXACTLY what happens at my house! It's an extremely disturbing sound, and even worse when it wakes me up from a dead sleep (the rest of the family sleeps right through it @@).

Before figuring out what it was, I thought someone had shot my house, and then I thought it was falling down. Now it just makes me cranky!

... and both only occur when it's cold.

The first one is our front door---- it's a hardwood, and as the morning sun rises, it warms the door that has cooled all night, and we hear several "bangs" until it's warm (whatever *that* is). The colder the night, the more banging in the morning. It's a loud popping noise, and is probably the same noise the others described their wooden decks making (we had that happen, too, at our other house).

The second, and most freaky, is after the heat turns off.... we have forced-air heating downstairs, and a minute or so after it turns off (basically several times an hour!), we hear a very loud 'explosion' noise..... after several near heart attacks, we figured out it was some of the heating ducts under the house (we're on a crawlspace) contracting~~they are metal---maybe aluminum?? Since we have wood floors and a very open floorplan, it does, in fact, sound like an explosion.

One other thought just popped into my head..... our wood floors 'pop' once in a while. When we first moved in, the first winter was quite loud when the wood contracted/expanded as the temp dropped/rose. It did reduce greatly, but last year was winter number four in this house (new construction, too), and we still had the occasional 'pop'. It was quite loud, even WITH furniture and rugs.

Oh, and another thought popped in as I was typing.... my parents are in Canada and they often hear the foundation in their basement popping loudly, but only when the temp gets **really** low.

Hopefully, what you are hearing is just one of the above, or something similar!