Menu

SRW OR Writing Road to Reading 5th Edition

5LittleMonkeys

I first found Writing Road to Reading and decided I definitely want to try this out but then found Spell to Read and Write which, if I understand correctly, is basically the same thing but reworked to be more user friendly for homeschoolers. Is this right?

So, WRTR is very affordable whereas SRW is much more expensive and actually seemed a bit more confusing. What can anyone tell me about the one vs. the other. Thanks.

Aime

This is my experience:

WRTR 5th edition is huge, there is only the list of unnumbered words, you have to come up with your own ideas to work with the words, and it is a bit confusing. I really liked the 2nd edition better it was a cleaner, clearer version.

SWR--I have an old copy of the WISE guide and Teaching Reading at Home and School.

Pros:

numbered lists

tells you what phonograms to study

tells you what rules to study

tells you what notebook pages to make

has enrichment ideas to go with each list that teach grammar and such

these enrichment ideas can be turned into worksheets

cons:

you do have to learn how to use it

can be boring

can be hard

What I did to make it work better for my visual and hands-on learners (I have one of each):

We notebooked the phonograms with colorful pictures and words.

We notebook the rules the same way.

We study 10 words per week.

They use spelling task cards to practice writing their words (can be found online free).

I think that it is a great program and it can be easily adapted to meet all learning styles once the "teacher" has learned it.:001_smile:

I have both. I'd be happy to sell you my WRTR 5th in fact. I think it's more ideal for the streamlined user, the person who just wants the lists, the rules, the concepts, and wants to do with them what they want. SWR took that and expanded it big-time. Instead of just lists, you have lists with sample sentences, extra explanation notes, enrichment exercises for every clumping of 20 words. The Wise Guide has all the words, lists, etc., while the SWR manual has tons and tons and tons of explanation of Sanseri's thoughts on just about everything (but the color of your toenails). Is this an overwhelming amount? Well frankly, yes. But she explains what wasn't clear to many people reading just WRTR. There are newer editions of WRTR I think, btw.

There are a couple mild differences in methodology that some afficianodoes will point out to you (how they approach the youngest levels, etc.). Either way you're going to have word lists, work through them together, mark them, and learn to spell them. Just depends on how many additional bells and whistles you want. There are even programs like Phonics Road that take that to the next level with DVD'S of someone doing the teaching or All About Spelling where they slow the pace down and use lots of hands-on. All of them are close enough that I wouldn't sweat between them or call one bad, one better. (Ok, maybe some AAS users would call it better, hehe, but at least CONCEPTUALLY they're all on par, all very good.) They just each have a different flavor and strong point of what they bring to the teaching. SWR's enrichments are very whitty, lots of ways to get the kids writing with their spelling. But some people are creative themselves or don't want that. If you don't want/need all that and just want the word lists and the method, WRTR might be a great fit for you. Does your library have it so you can see it first?

This is my experience:

WRTR 5th edition is huge, there is only the list of unnumbered words, you have to come up with your own ideas to work with the words, and it is a bit confusing. I really liked the 2nd edition better it was a cleaner, clearer version.

Reallly?:confused: What about the scripts for teaching the phonograms? and all charts and the sample dialogues? and the instructions for the review? and the lists of words alphabetically and by part of speech? and...well, I'm just surprised that you would say that. Why would the book be so hurge if all it has is a list of unnumbered words??

Those who like SWR will recommend it; those who like Spalding will recommend *it.* :-)

I'm a Spalding fan. The method is so comprehensive and, really, very easy to teach: Teach the phonograms (scripts included in the manual), teach the markings (ditto), teach the words in the Extended Ayres List in the order they appear (ditto for the first few, but you won't need a script after that; there are comments about words if needed); review daily (yes, ditto); teach the rules pages in the spelling notebooks (ditto again). You need WRTR (the manual), the phonogram cards, the Spelling Assessment Manual, and a notebook for each child. You *may* want a teacher guide (which you'll probably only need for one year) and the word builder cards, which will bring the cost up, but you can do without those.

The first half of WRTR tells you what to do and why you're doing it; the second half includes all the word lists and sample rule pages and the Extended Ayres List (EAL) itself. I cut my book apart and put each half in its own three-ring notebook.

There are helps on the Spalding site. There are also home-educator courses which you can organize in your area, as well as instructional videos. And there is a discussion forum, where Spalding-certified teachers will answer you questions.

I really wanted to use the 5th Ed of WRTR to teach my dc, but I couldn't figure out how to structure the program for daily use. I even checked out the 4th ed. from the library to see if it would help. The book was straightforward, I just didn't get how I would put it together. SWR and the WISE guide totally made sense to me. Wanda Sanseri just gave me the extra explanation and structure I needed to use it everyday.

I'd recommend checking out the 5th ed of WRTR from the library and reading it over a few time. It might be all you need. If it isn't, see if you can borrow SWR to read through. SWR also has a VERY active yahoo group where the author and trainers will answer any questions you might have.

Spalding also offers TMs for each grade level. I almost went with Spalding using the TMs, but SWR ended up being cheaper factoring in a TM for the first couple of years. I figured that I might know the program well enough to teach by myself after 2-3 years, but the cost of those TMs adds up. You don't need to buy every product that is designed to go with SWR. You really just need a core package and some log books...probably the McCall-Crabbs books, but you'd be buying those with Spalding anyway. However, I'd really recommend the phonogram games if you are teaching young ones. Our family loves it and my dc (including the 3yo) have their phonograms down cold because of all the practice we get with the game.

BTW, I think that either program is a bargain considering that you'll be using it for about 6 yrs/child.

HTH,

Ellie,

When I first started using this method, I bought the 5th edition first and it was huge and confusing. There was a lot of junk in there that was hard to understand how to use it and the list, phonograms and rules were the only things that were clear to understand from the viewpoint of a newbie.

I found the 2nd edition to be very helpful and easy to understand as it didn't have all the extras.

This is just my viewpoint.

I first found Writing Road to Reading and decided I definitely want to try this out

So, WRTR is very affordable

I like WRTR - my Spalding-trained mother taught me how to teach reading and spelling with it. She didn't teach me all the other writing/grammar stuff in it, and that was fine. I just wanted to teach my kids to read and spell. I have found other things I like better for grammar/writing.

I say if you are comfortable with figuring out how to use WRTR, go for it. Some people love doing that, and some want more hand-holding. I need hand-holding in other areas (math!), so I rely on programs that do that. But I took to the WRTR methods like a duck to water, so it seems easy to me. It's affordable to me, too - I only bought the book, the phonogram cards (which can easily be made), the pronunciation tape, and some dollar store composition notebooks. You can also make the notebooks for younger kids - just design pages with wider spaces.

Those who like SWR will recommend it; those who like Spalding will recommend *it.* :-)

Ellie is absolutely right. You will find many divided opinions on this board. I happen to be one who LOVES WRTR, not only because it made sense to me, but because it worked beautifully with both my dc.

I've listed some links to previous posts about these two programs. HTH.

Jennifer

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128991&highlight=WRTR

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127577&highlight=WRTR

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126425&highlight=WRTR

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115910&highlight=WRTR

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85643&highlight=WRTR

Ellie,

When I first started using this method, I bought the 5th edition first and it was huge and confusing. There was a lot of junk in there that was hard to understand how to use it and the list, phonograms and rules were the only things that were clear to understand from the viewpoint of a newbie.

I found the 2nd edition to be very helpful and easy to understand as it didn't have all the extras.

This is just my viewpoint.

I understand you were confused; many people are. I just thought your description was just...not accurate. And I'd still have to disagree that it was "junk," but that's just me. The fifth edition was written because so many people wanted *more,* but then, I have owned all 4 previous editions and was happy with each of them. :-)

I first found Writing Road to Reading and decided I definitely want to try this out but then found Spell to Read and Write which, if I understand correctly, is basically the same thing but reworked to be more user friendly for homeschoolers. Is this right?

No, I wouldn't say that's quite accurate.

SWR is Wanda Sanseri's method. The WRTR is the manual for the Spalding Method. They are two different methods, although they have similarities. Spalding has been used for over 50 years by classroom teachers as well as homeschoolers (like me!).

I just wanted to say that I am using the WRTR manual with "Starting a Spelling Notebook" by Mari MaAllister. It has been a huge help! Here is a link if you'd like to read about it.

Messagehttp://www.acbooks.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACB&Product_Code=VAx1

Edited by quiverfull
link not working

My vote is for SWR. I looked at WRTR and found it to be very confusing. I found SWR to be a challenge too at first, but the yahoo group is very helpful and I found Elizabeth's quick start guide to be most helpful to get started. I think that either way you go there is a learning curve for the teacher and you will have to put forth effort before you can teach, but if you are willing to put forth the effort, then either program will yield outstanding results.

Just my .02.

Joy

I like WRTR - my Spalding-trained mother taught me how to teach reading and spelling with it. She didn't teach me all the other writing/grammar stuff in it, and that was fine. I just wanted to teach my kids to read and spell. I have found other things I like better for grammar/writing.

Hey Colleen,

Was she taught by Mrs Spalding? My mom was taught by a certified teacher... that was taught by Mrs Spalding... (Nancy someone...) That's one of the reasons I started with Spalding.

I do think the WISE book would be nice to use with WRTR:-)

Carrie

Hey Colleen,

Was she taught by Mrs Spalding? My mom was taught by a certified teacher... that was taught by Mrs Spalding... (Nancy someone...) That's one of the reasons I started with Spalding.

I do think the WISE book would be nice to use with WRTR:-)

Carrie

Yes, she was! Back in the early 80's I think. She stayed at Mrs. Spalding's home for the two weeks of training. And, a fellow teacher-friend of hers went, too, for the training - her name was Nancy! Was your Nancy in Maine, by any chance?

Yes, she was! Back in the early 80's I think. She stayed at Mrs. Spalding's home for the two weeks of training. And, a fellow teacher-friend of hers went, too, for the training - her name was Nancy! Was your Nancy in Maine, by any chance?

I think it was Arizona or New Mexico.... Hmmm:-) I'll ask my mom if I'm wrong about that...

• 7 months later...