Menu

Has anyone who is very cold natured taught themselves to like winter?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I have spent much of my life hating the winter and staying inside when it's cold. I read about outdoor winter people and can't imagine enjoying working outside, wanting to play in the snow, etc. Yet...I now wish I could. I know all the tricks...dress in layers, keep your head covered, etc. but still I am miserable in the cold. Now that winter is soon upon us, I realize that my kids need more outdoor exercise in the winter...and I want to WANT to go out with them. Do you think this is possible? If you naturally like the cold...you won't relate. But if you understand what I'm talking about and have taught yourself to brave the cold elements, I'd sure appreciate any tips. By the way, it can NEVER get too hot or humid for me. I can be outside all summer and never complain...even when I was pregnant!

You must be my twin!!! I hate cold, too. I think it is partly because I am very tiny, have no extra body fat. I am cold when everyone else is comfortable. I carry a sweater with me in the summer, to wear in any air-conditioned buildings. I love heat, I never complain about heat!

I grew up in the mid-atlantic region, now I live in northern PA and I am bummed about it every single day, much to my husband's dismay. We have been here 7 years. From Oct through May, I am wearing my tights, polarfleece long underwear and then pants or a skirt, 2 shirts and a wool sweater. And often a polartec jacket. That is while I am INSIDE my house.

I have grown to dread winter. If I were to maybe go out and exercise while out, I am sure I would be warm. But I can't seem to get myself past the doorstep during cold weather....

I just keep praying God will bring us back to the south!

...and I want to WANT to go out with them. Do you think this is possible? !

I also hate the cold....and live in a place where it is winter for what seems like 9 months of the year, LOL! I totally undestand where you are...I'm still trying to get there myself!

Last year I finally found a good pair of winter boots that (I kid you not) actually keep my feet warm while I am out. This is probably the first pair of winter boots I've had in 25 years -- I've always made do with hiking boots or lived where I didn't need them or just didn't care about boots. They have a fake fur on the inside and are incredible. I think they were two season ago closeouts from Lands End. My feet are *always* cold, so this was a huge stepping stone to going outside with the kids.

My next step is to find some good mittens that will keep my hands warm. Until then, I'll buy a stash of those chemical hand warmer things and put them in my gloves, mittens.

I think the key is to be dressed appropriately. I'm a cold hater, yet, I love to ski. The difference is that when I ski I have all the right gear. My feet don't get cold, my hands don't get cold, my legs don't get cold...you get the idea. And really, buying the right gear is worth it over time. I've had one ski jacket, one pair of ski pants and one set of gloves for YEARS!

I live in AZ - so, I feel guilty chiming in, but I also HATE the cold! Am dreading this week when by Tuesday we will be in the 60's. I know, I know - poor me...but it was 84 today!!! I am soooooo bad and just hate it too! So, I sympathize with you!!

I did grow up in NJ, so I remember the misery all too well!! Dress warm!!

Am dreading this week when by Tuesday we will be in the 60's. I know, I know - poor me...but it was 84 today!!! !

Here we have been HAPPY to see 42 and SUN with no rain lately.

As to staying warm, buy QUALITY stuff---boots, esp. LL Bean or Land's End are great places. Sorel boots are also very good quality. Don't go for fashion, go for WARMTH and comfort. The invest in some good long underwear pants and shirts. Then layer over those and end with a good quality jacket and hat/gloves.

My dh taught me enjoy winter. He did this by insisting upon proper clothing.

Waterproof footwear is a must, preferably if it is also lined with something warm. Having warm, dry feet makes an enormous difference.

If I am going to be outside for any real length of time I also wear waterproof, windproof pants. It makes a BIG difference.

I also wear silk long underwear during the coldest months. The silk is thin and soft, and so is hardly noticeable. It really, really helps having this right against my skin.

My coat is a sporty waterproof shell with a detachable, warm liner. Having a layered coat system like that traps heat, and keeping dry helps me stay warmer.

And finally, I absolutely never go out without gloves. If I am going to be outside for a long time, I might wear thin gloves with big mittens over, and I wear a balaclava (loose ski-mask style) hat.

When I ski, I also wear special ski socks made of stuff similar to wetsuit material. They're a bear to get on, but really do keep my feet warm.

I get cold very easily as I am chronically anemic. Encasing myself in a waterproof, windproof shell has made it possible for me to enjoy being outdoors even on the coldest days.

I'd say maybe not, if there is a reason you hate cold. I can't stand cold, turned out I was anemic at least since college, and I have reynaud's syndrome, my hands and feet assume the temp of the air around me, it's painful. So, I've never really enjoyed the cold, except when I was a child, but I think I have good reason.

I grew up in warm climates and have lived in the cold for the past 20+ years. Although I have never really gotten used to it, I can cope.

The key is proper clothing, as the others have said. Sorel boots do keep the cold off your feet. Good gloves are necessary, and a warm hat that covers your ears. I go to great lengths to keep my ears warm because I get earaches easily.

I don't like going outside to play; if I go out it's to do work. Usually hauling firewood or shoveling snow in the winter. After a few minutes of hard work I'm usually removing layers rather than fretting about the cold.

Another thing I like to do is come in a little before everyone else to get a fire going and hot water for tea and cocoa. If I remember to have the little kids leave their dripping clothing/coats/boots in the laundry room it buys me a little time and I can deal with the wet things later.

Apart from proper clothing, I have to ask, do you really need to like it in order to get out? Just do it. Mind over matter. Get out there and instead of focusing on how cold you are, focus on the laughter of your children, focus on creating memories, and focus on that nice mug of hot chocolate that will be yours when you go back in. You don't have to like doing the dishes, but it has to get done, it should get done, and it's possible to make a game out of it so it's tolerable. I feel like going into a Forrest Gump talk about life... you know, it's a box of chocolates and all... but you get the picture.

I live in AZ - so, I feel guilty chiming in, but I also HATE the cold! Am dreading this week when by Tuesday we will be in the 60's. I know, I know - poor me...but it was 84 today!!! I am soooooo bad and just hate it too! So, I sympathize with you!!

I did grow up in NJ, so I remember the misery all too well!! Dress warm!!

60's break out the snow suit! ;)

Learnt to like the cold? Afraid not. I even went and lived in northern Japan for a year and had a white winter, but that didn't help either. The only place I enjoy the cold is on a ski slope, otherwise there is nothing better than a hot dry sunny day and a balmy warm night.......ahhhhh :001_smile:.

Warm hugs to you :grouphug:. I can relate. Get the best warm gear you can lay your hands on and just hang in there - the sun will shine again!!